ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion My thoughts on the game

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
Craziest game since the Rose Bowl? Maybe. It was an instant classic regardless.

Kirby Smart has Georgia playing for a national title for the third time in seven years. Good lord. I know he won't win Coach of the year but he absolutely should.

Three ingredients for an upset: turnovers, penalties, and special teams.
  • Stetson Bennett's awful interception was the difference in the game for maybe two quarters.
  • The first pass interference penalty led to an OSU TD. The second one led to an OSU field goal.
  • Georgia missed two field goals.

OSU torched every member of UGA's secondary at least once. Maybe once a quarter lol. And luckily Harrison dropped two passes with Ringo trailing behind him.

The Ohio State beat media is upset. "That was targeting!!" (Not the guys a our Rivals site btw). But those same folks spend the lead up to the Peach Bowl talking about the stuff they were going to do in LA next week. Same with members of the OSU band. We were surrounded by a bunch of them on Saturday morning at breakfast. The piccolo players are likely inconsolable at the moment.

Plays of the game:
Kirby Smart's time out.​
Brock Bowers' fourth down conversion.​
Javon Bullard knocking Harrison out like he stole Red's bike.​
Tate Ratledge pancaking No. 14 so Kendall Milton could score.​
Kearis Jackson burning his man on the last drive, knowing the coverage OSU was running and why the middle of the field would be wide open.​

How crazy is it for UGA to be without AD Mitchell for most of the year and then he comes back at the end when you need him most. Sort of like George Pickens last year.

A healthy Arian Smith feels like cheating. He tells me if he ran the 100 meters today he thinks he'd run 10.2 seconds.

Georgia won without Darnell Washington. And may have to again. Give Oscar Delp a helmet sticker for two huge blocks.

Two Big10 teams made the playoffs. Both lost. Sheesh

Mykell Williams, when not being held, is a problem.

Javon Bullard is going to kill a man before his career is over,

Georgia is 14-0.

After halftime, UGA didn't have a completed pass until the last play of the third quarter.

Watching Dumas-Johnson and Mondon try to cover downfield where they gave up a TD ... much better run stoppers. Elite in fact. Those two are going to be nasty next year after they spend 9 months working on coverage.

Where were the holding calls? The bigger question, where were the false start calls?

Defensive series of the game. Tie game at 21. OSU gets the ball and on the first play picks up 9 yards with Royer. The UGA defends a pass on 2nd-and-1. On 3rd-and-1, Mondon stops a run for zero yards. OSU picks up 8 yards on 4th-and-1 but is hit will illegal motion penalty and has to punt. From 2nd-and-1 to punting. UGA would take the lead after that punt.

Stetson Bennett had some bad throws, Overthrew Bowers, short pass to Ladd McConkey on a screen, INT above, another that should have been picked. But he also was the Offensive MVP of a payoff game yet again. Remember all the pundits who said he didn't belong at the Heisman ceremony? Let's compare his stat line to that of wunderkind C.J. Stroud. Both had four TDs, as Bennett ran one in. Almost the exact same numbers:

bennett.png
I'm sure I forgot a lot of stuff but it's late. See you in LA.

Oh yeah, to me this was the title game. Maybe I'll feel different by the end of the week.

Funny story: @athensdawg88 turns to me after Brock is ruled short on the 4th down try. "See ya brother, we're going to beat the traffic." He was walking out when it was overturned. Apparently, he decided to stick around.

One of the people here on the Vent invited me to their suite. I've never done anything like that and was blown away. They made me feel at home. HUGE Georgia fan whose generosity helps the university.

Also, thanks to all the people who said hello in the concourse. I'm sorry I couldn't stop as I was too busy trying to get to the open locker room.

Speaking of, Julian Humphrey told me he had no intention of going into the portal. He said he has about 98% of the playbook down. I asked Brock Vandagriff about the rumor of him going to the portal and he said he hasn't made a decision, has some praying to do.

Attachments

• bennett.png
    bennett.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 4,489
Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News