ADVERTISEMENT

Natty Trip Report thread ...

LawDawg86

GATA
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2015
There have been some threads about LA and Sofi and the trip, so I thought a Trip Report thread might be fun and perhaps useful for people who attend the natty next year.

- ;TLDR and Overall impressions - LA was a fantastic city to host the NCG. It helps that I have traveled extensively to LA on business for the past 20 years. And, it's one of my favorite cities ... I'd love to spend a couple of months a year there. And, I am open-minded and not judgmental - no, it's not the crap hole some of you who don't know the city well think it is. But for the unfortunate and really weird weather on Monday, LA was a great host.

- We were 4 Dawgs - 2 dads and 2 sons, all of whom have been going to away Dawg games for years. Son no. 1, The Traitor, was snow skiing and didn't make the trip.

- We stayed in Marina Del Rey, which is really close to LAX and the beach. Great location. Even in traffic, you can get to downtown LA and Hollywood in about 30 minutes. It's 15 minutes to LAX. We rented an Airbnb that cost us $1300 for four nights - Saturday through Wednesday. I know some like hotels, but we almost always stay at VRBO/Airbnbs. Lots of flexibility. Typically costs less. We didn't spend much time there, but it was very roomy. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/671823...share_id=499f01ba-fae1-4234-87c0-9d0ab31d12f6

- Pre-game fun. We flew in on Saturday morning, arriving a little before noon, LA time. The weather was great ... mid-60s. We drove into Hollywood and had lunch at Pinks (www.pinkshollywood.com/) - a LA landmark - where you get great hot dogs, burgers, fries, etc. Sat next to a table full of Dawgs from Monroe. We then walked around Echo Park Lake (www.discoverlosangeles.com/things-to-do/echo-park-lake), which has a fantastic view of downtown LA. We finished the day at Elysian Park (www.laparks.org/park/elysian), which has great overlook views of Dodgers Stadium, downtown LA, the Hollywood sign, and other areas of LA. One of the great things to do in LA is to be somewhere high where you can look down into the LA Basin and watch the city come alive with lights as it goes from day to dusk to dark. Throw in spectacular sunsets, and it's an experience not to be missed. We were tired and still full from lunch, so we headed back to the Airbnb and checked in. Son no. 2, The Favorite Son, met with friends from his time at LMU.

On Sunday, we walked around Venice Beach and the canals (www.laparks.org/venice/), took in the pier, and grabbed some breakfast. Dawgs and Frawgs were in attendance. We then headed into downtown LA where we visited the La Brea Tar Pits (www.discoverlosangeles.com/things-to-do/la-brea-tar-pits-museum), something I hadn't done in all my previous visits. It was really interesting. It's actually asphalt, not tar, but who knows the difference? We then headed to the Grand Central Market (www.discoverlosangeles.com/things-to-do/grand-central-market) for lunch and snacks. This is a great, huge, market with food from all cultures, well priced and really good. Across the street is Angel's Flight, the world's most used funicular (www.angelsflight.org). We ended the day with my favorite LA hike - Runyon Canyon (www.laparks.org/runyon/). The most amazing views of the LA Basin and typically sunsets. We waited until dark to see the city lit up. Incredible view. Dinner was in Venice Beach at a great, laid-back restaurant Belles Beach House (www.bellesbeachhouse.com/). Great food and drinks, sitting on couches.

- Game Day - we were going to head in early and enjoy the Allstate Tailgate. But the weather had other ideas. Cold in the high 50s, wind, rain. We headed in around 1:30 pm, got there in about 25 minutes, and drove toward the stadium until we saw the locals parking cars for about $50. Found a great house just off the main road, parked behind a locked gate - we paid $45. Walked in and went straight into Sofi. It's beautiful, but the weather impacted how good it could have been. "Inside," it was cold, windy, and wet. We were in 416, on about the 35-40 yard line. We paid around $1000 per ticket, all in. We could have been in section 200 or 300 for the same amount, but it would have been in the end zone. Didn't want that. Lines were long, but I went down to the end zone area where there were no lines for bathrooms or for drinks. 50/50 UGA and TCU - maybe 55/45 UGA - but it was really even. Their fans were loud at first, but it didn't last long.

A few last thoughts.
- I loved the win, but it wasn't the same as last year when I, a 63-year-old grown-ass man, cried. I am not sure if it was the 41 years of disappointment and the weight lifted off my shoulders, or whether it was the blowout. It was fun just to high-five anyone within 10 feet of me every few minutes. But it wasn't quite the same.
- Dawg fans were great - "Go Dawgs" everywhere, even at 11 pm in the Dulles airport Tuesday night as we boarded the plane to Raleigh.
- A great trip to LA - large cities with a lot to do are better than smaller towns like Indy, IMO.

0s0YXGd.jpg

uzDvaiM.jpg

gmn1r0n.jpg

QnUXiLK.jpg

7XiJ5bH.jpg

U9JNCRT.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews