ADVERTISEMENT

ND: Braves Trade Idea

MossDawg96

That Dawg’ll Bite You!
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2020
Savannah Georgia
Obviously with Atlanta bringing back Ozuna on a semi friendly deal they’re leaving flexibility to both compete and still add to the roster. The cost could reach an overall value of $80mil if Ozuna plays out the 4 years guaranteed and the fifth year option. Though that may be well below what was thought to be his market value going into the offseason, the risk of him in LF with no DH in 2021 I believe payed a big roll in NL teams being hesitant to backup the brinks truck.

Since MLB is an arms race proven by the Dodgers and Padres this past offseason, I can’t see this being the end of offseason acquisitions. The bullpen needs a closer unless AJ Minter is their plan or Chris Martin. That’s to go along with probably needing to add a few more set up/situational arms. The money and flexibility left by Ozuna’s deal leaves room to add without having to gut our top heavy farm system to acquire more relief pitching. I see Shane Greene being brought back who despite his rocky first 8 games after being traded to the Braves settled into a great setup man for Melancon. Greene can also setup and close and since he’s still available, he will most likely not come at a huge price. O’Day has already signed elsewhere and Ian Anderson swapping jersey numbers this season from #48 to Mark Melancon’s #36 is probably a sign Melancon is not being brought back. So Alex Anthopoulos is probably bargain bin digging in his usual fashion to add with what little money Liberty Media Group puts at his disposal to sure up the pen. I have faith.

That brings us to the lineup.. yes it’s great. But with no DH and needed stability due to a lost bat in the lineup for the pitchers spot means Atlanta can not risk another roller coaster at third. They had their chance to add Arenado but obviously his length and sheer size of his 8 year $260mil deal with $199 left over with 6 more years left till 2027 was still a ton to take on for a team that shys away from such monetary agreements. Face of the franchise Freddie Freeman will soon need a new deal and the 11 year veteran is going to cost a lot to bring back in 2022 so I’m positive that played a roll in their hesitation as well since they likely won’t allow him to reach the open market.

This brings me to the Rockies once more.. Trevor Story will be on the move next as they tear down their roster. I know he plays SS but if you’re Atlanta who’s shown a willingness to move infielders to make room for bats, you’ve gotta see what their asking price is. He’s only 28 and on an expiring deal and only owed $17.5mil. The guys got career averages over a 162 game season of 101 runs, 171 hits, 39 doubles, 6 triples, 36 HRs, 101 RBIs, 21 stolen bases, .277 AVG, .343 OBP, .535 SLG, .877 OPS.... let Swanson play 3B or Story which would sure things up on the left side in front of a bad fielder in Ozuna. You have the potential for the best lineup in baseball and given the leverage of them being in a tear down with him on an expiring deal he could come cheap AND if he likes it in Atlanta you can resign him at your price.

Reactions: Pedigree and Jlh777
This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News