ADVERTISEMENT

ND - spent weekend in Athens dropping off son, downtown looks rough

Regardless, the point is moot. Kelly's crew isn't just "soft" on the homeless. They enable them. Broad has become a wasteland. I ate at DePalma's on Friday and Jinya on Saturday, and it's awful what has happened to our city. You can't go to Publix on Barnett Shoals without seeing the same man and woman who are a pair and they post at different spots around the shopping center to panhandle pretty much every day. Same sign. Same bullcrap. Meanwhile, businesses all around them need workers. Why work when you don't have to?

I don't disagree with you, but the fact of the matter is that liberal Gwen O'Loony oddly had the homeless thing under wraps, it exploded under Denson and that's where we are today.

Reactions: Pugknows
Wtf are you talking about? Making stuff up and hope it sticks?

The same idiot that said UGA was a terrible school until very recently?

You didn’t seem like you like where you live and work very much, maybe you should find somewhere else to work and live instead of making up lies about it and insulting strangers online.

“wading through vomit and trash”??? You sound like a rival fan making up lies about Athens. Why don’t you go back to whatever shithole redneck town you came from. You’re a horrible ambassador for UGA.

You kiss your mama with that mouth?

What I said has nothing to do with UGA - it has everything to do with the inept mismanagement of Athens-Clarke County and the downtown district by the ACC Commission. You apparently are too blinded to see the difference and separate Athens from UGA.

And in regards to my comments about UGA not being a very good school until the past two decades, I'm sorry you're red and black glasses hide this institution's academic history from you but you should try and research it sometime and you'll find out that I'm not wrong.

Additionally, I'm sorry you think I'm a horrible ambassador for UGA - but I actually care about this campus and this town. I spend my time volunteering at the food bank, working with homeless ministries through my church in town, and helping run one of the nation's top public universities - just because I'm not blind to the problems doesn't make me a horrible ambassador for this school. It's people like you that only care about football and Kirby Smart that are the real trash ambassadors. This school and town is so much more than the 7 weekends a year you spend here - come spend some time in real Athens and you might learn a thing or two.

I'm out.

P.S. - My shithole redneck town has someone who cleans up downtown and the sidewalks.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikul1
Don't get all emotional. Athens has non-pertisan elections. If it walks like duck, quacks like duck and lays duck eggs, it's a duck.
I'm not emotional, you are the one desperately trying to portray someone who has always been a liberal democrat as a republican because you want it to be so.

Keep in mind that her position of allowing mass panhandling would clearly fall on the left but you so desperately don't want that to be the case you keep saying she was kicked out of the Dem party. Just a strange take and one no one really cares about, they just want the problem addressed.

The democratic "leaders" here have done NOTHING to help downtown businesses and restaurants during the pandemic. They are already struggling as it is. Were it not for the bar/restaurant owners standing up for themselves and suing, they would have been suffocated. Honestly, losing 2.5 hours of prime operating time each night is enough for most, if not all, of the bars to close shop by the end of the year. Pathetic lack of leadership and just plain GAS about the city they are supposed to be serving.

Meanwhile, they have $50k set aside for a rainbow sidewalk project. You just can't fix stupid, I guess.
Not "democratic" leaders. It is "democRAT" leaders.
The first word weans democracy. The second means chaos and tyranny.

Where did I criticize it?

You are all over the place in your arguments. My point about old fourth ward is that any of the "good" parts have been built in the past 10 years and are thus clean and brand new. Based on your earlier posts you seem to believe even cleaning the streets in Athens would make it lose its culture which was absurd.

This thread is not about O4W. And you just criticized it ....

So again, where are you from so You can have equal time

This thread is not about O4W. And you just criticized it ....

So again, where are you from so You can have equal time

How is saying everything is new and you would consider it to have culture criticizing it? How does that make any sense to you? I don't think I need to explain why I said that yet again but it was to prove a point that being clean doesn't take away culture. I didn't mean the "" to imply that it wasn't good.

Again, you are all over the place.

I'm not emotional, you are the one desperately trying to portray someone who has always been a liberal democrat as a republican because you want it to be so.

Keep in mind that her position of allowing mass panhandling would clearly fall on the left but you so desperately don't want that to be the case you keep saying she was kicked out of the Dem party. Just a strange take and one no one really cares about, they just want the problem addressed.

I watched it happen, I don't really have to keep anything in mind. Denson isn't a liberal and the current problem is a direct result of her coddling the homeless. Sorry it doesn't fit the narrative, but that's the problem with narratives. I care about it because I live with the results of it and lot of folks who don't know what they are talking about are on here saying stuff that's simply not true.

When my wife took my son on a visit to Auburn last spring, they remarked how the downtown was so much cleaner and looked prettier and nicer than Athens. Even my son on a few games last fall in Athens remarked how Athens was alot more "hoodish" than other campuses he had been too. Of course I dismissed both of their comments. However, I must say Athens did look rough this weekend. Just more empty storefronts, abandoned buildings, dirty sidewalks, homeless, etc.
Sadly I had to agree with them that it wasn't the utopia I always impressed upon my kids. Now, my wife and I graduated from UGA so we are certainly biased for our school, but I guess I would like to see Athens be cleaned up a little as downtown, Baxter street (between Alps and Milledge), and Broad were rougher than I remembered. Had some great meals and a good time until we had to say goodbye to my son, but overall whomever the Mayor of Athens currently is is allowing that town to look worn down and bedraggled. It's past time to spruce the place up. Interested to hear what others think about the current state of the town, and please save the sarcastic comments as I love the place but have to admit it's looking mighty weathered .
""hoodish"?

You could've also added "Complain about overzealous police, except for the issues they want the police to be more aggressive about"

Unfortunately that kind of hypocrisy is bipartisan. But yeah, when you count "government is the problem, not the solution" as a political philosophy, you're going to end up with less competent governance.
Since the post is now on “chat” I’ll respond. There is no hypocrisy. Republicans / Conservatives believe in limited government, but we also believe in the rule of law. Law enforcement is a basic function of government. It is the “expanded” functions of government that we have a problem with.

Reactions: maitlanddawg
It's worse, Roy. Much worse under the current regime.
I knew someone very, very, well who was there in the '20's. + '30's. Made and sold moonshine, too, as a UGA student. He always said Athens had a violent underbelly that nobody talked bout. I'll take your word for today cause haven't seen it personally. Never understand why college towns don't collect garbage by 4am and firehose the sidewalks by 7am. For extra revenue, I always thought a downtown midnight magistrate's court would have provided epic entertainment and they could charge spectator admission. Law school students could get in some valuable reps, too.

JudgeJudy.jpg

Reactions: Pugknows
So republicans don't want government involvement until they do?
Ah, the typical lib talking point and taking the extreme position. Liberals want total government involvement so conservatives must be for no government, got it. So much for being woke, go back to sleep rip van winkle.

Reactions: WizDawg
I watched it happen, I don't really have to keep anything in mind. Denson isn't a liberal and the current problem is a direct result of her coddling the homeless. Sorry it doesn't fit the narrative, but that's the problem with narratives. I care about it because I live with the results of it and lot of folks who don't know what they are talking about are on here saying stuff that's simply not true.
You said she was a Republican and that’s not true. I don’t care if she’s a liberal or not but coddling the homeless is clearly a more liberal policy than Republican. Not to mention the problem still persists so you going out of the way to say she’s a Republican seems completely unnecessary and only trying to deflect from the policies of your party.

It was just a strange pivot in general and didn’t add anything to the discussion outside of trying to alleviate blame from your fellow liberals.

So republicans don't want government involvement until they do?

The mayor of Athens ( Kelly Girtz) is a Democrat, just for the record. Part of the mayors job is to keep the city clean and safe. It does not sound like she is doing that.

You're going to pay triple the tuition to send her to a worse school? There's crime here, just like anywhere else. But let's not pretend like it's Chicago in and around downtown Athens.
We still got a couple more months to make final decision.....she’s a dawg at heart ....we shall see ....I agree the school as a whole is worse but some degrees such as engineering are attractive down there

When my wife took my son on a visit to Auburn last spring, they remarked how the downtown was so much cleaner and looked prettier and nicer than Athens. Even my son on a few games last fall in Athens remarked how Athens was alot more "hoodish" than other campuses he had been too. Of course I dismissed both of their comments. However, I must say Athens did look rough this weekend. Just more empty storefronts, abandoned buildings, dirty sidewalks, homeless, etc.
Sadly I had to agree with them that it wasn't the utopia I always impressed upon my kids. Now, my wife and I graduated from UGA so we are certainly biased for our school, but I guess I would like to see Athens be cleaned up a little as downtown, Baxter street (between Alps and Milledge), and Broad were rougher than I remembered. Had some great meals and a good time until we had to say goodbye to my son, but overall whomever the Mayor of Athens currently is is allowing that town to look worn down and bedraggled. It's past time to spruce the place up. Interested to hear what others think about the current state of the town, and please save the sarcastic comments as I love the place but have to admit it's looking mighty weathered .
You’re right. Starting to look like a Democrat run city. Noticed the same visiting my son a few weeks ago.

ACC is in the middle of a $12 million Clayton St streetscape project that includes replacing outdated sewer, stormwater and underground utilities as well as widening sidewalks, adding benches, landscaping, lighting, gathering spaces, dumpster enclosures, crosswalks etc.

ACC also just purchased Bethal Homes, the dilapidated low incoming housing on the north end of downtown, and plans to spend $40 million redeveloping into a mixed use project.

You can debate whether these are effective use of funds, but it's completely false to say the local government is standing by doing nothing. The Clayton St construction is long overdue and should mitigate a lot of the complaints mentioned in the thread. It's also the reason much of downtown looks bleaker than normal today due to the pre-dig phase which removed most of the old landscaping and added back temporary sidewalks and pavement markings.

Once school is back to normal and the virus is no longer limiting capacity, downtown will be back stronger than ever. There are a few more vacant store fronts just like the rest of the world but there's also some really great projects in the works throughout downtown.

The mayor of Athens ( Kelly Girtz) is a Democrat, just for the record. Part of the mayors job is to keep the city clean and safe. It does not sound like she is doing that.

Kelly is a man just FYI.

ACC is in the middle of a $12 million Clayton St streetscape project that includes replacing outdated sewer, stormwater and underground utilities as well as widening sidewalks, adding benches, landscaping, lighting, gathering spaces, dumpster enclosures, crosswalks etc.

ACC also just purchased Bethal Homes, the dilapidated low incoming housing on the north end of downtown, and plans to spend $40 million redeveloping into a mixed use project.

You can debate whether these are effective use of funds, but it's completely false to say the local government is standing by doing nothing. The Clayton St construction is long overdue and should mitigate a lot of the complaints mentioned in the thread. It's also the reason much of downtown looks bleaker than normal today due to the pre-dig phase which removed most of the old landscaping and added back temporary sidewalks and pavement markings.

Once school is back to normal and the virus is no longer limiting capacity, downtown will be back stronger than ever. There are a few more vacant store fronts just like the rest of the world but there's also some really great projects in the works throughout downtown.

The Clayton St project is a start, but is long overdue. It’s been being talked about for a decade. I’m cautiously optimistic but if they let it fall into a state like the rest of downtown and don’t clean and maintain it the project will have been for nothing.

I have lived here off and on since 1985 and Athens is complete crap now. Homeless central and they are branching out. Downtown is a cesspool and you can smell the urine and puke all Summer. University has also become beta male central, although the women are hotter than they were a few years ago. It was creeping towards Agnes Scott territory for awhile.

There is a possible Plus side though - IF your son is an alpha he will be awash in poontang. 10 hot women for every Alpha Male. Since UGA is now King of the beta male, if he can even talk to a girl, he will slay. It would also help if he is black. All the white UGA girls want to ride the Mandingo. It is a rite of passage for them. Anyone here who has a girl at UGA, she's had a black one in her mouth and everywhere else. Just a psa.

BTW, the county commissioners who run the town are all straight-up commie. The town won't be cleaned up and they are defunding the police department by 50% over the next decade so it is not going to get better and they prefer a dirty, grimy, "real" town to a clean one. Athens is the little ole town in Georgia with a big city problem.

elections have consequences
Exactly! We are getting exactly what the town voted for. They did not have to hide it, as a matter of fact they boasted of it, and they were all elected in on a wave in 2018. We asked for it and now we are getting it.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
I have lived here off and on since 1985 and Athens is complete crap now. Homeless central and they are branching out. Downtown is a cesspool and you can smell the urine and puke all Summer. University has also become beta male central, although the women are hotter than they were a few years ago. It was creeping towards Agnes Scott territory for awhile.

There is a possible Plus side though - IF your son is an alpha he will be awash in poontang. 10 hot women for every Alpha Male. Since UGA is now King of the beta male, if he can even talk to a girl, he will slay. It would also help if he is black. All the white UGA girls want to ride the Mandingo. It is a rite of passage for them. Anyone here who has a girl at UGA, she's had a black one in her mouth and everywhere else. Just a psa.

BTW, the county commissioners who run the town are all straight-up commie. The town won't be cleaned up and they are defunding the police department by 50% over the next decade so it is not going to get better and they prefer a dirty, grimy, "real" town to a clean one. Athens is the little ole town in Georgia with a big city problem.
Sounds encouraging......ugh

I think Poor people can’t be helped ,but there are laws for criminals. Evidently the ACC citizens thinks the government is doing a good job they re-elected them. It is kinda like Portland if you want to turn your city over to the bottom25 percent of our society re-elect your incumbents, and they did.
They elected some new people, too. Believe me.

If it is going to hurt recruiting, then get Kirby involved.He probably has more say than anyone in Georgia. Moorehead should be notified that the appearance is affecting students considering UGA. Pressure needs to be brought to start getting the issue resolved.
LOL. Our athletes are swimming in a sea of white girls DTF. The new Athens is not hurting football recruiting. Kirby couldn't give 2 shats.

Last edited:

was down there yesterday. Placed was packed with people both wearing mask and not wearing mask. Homeless were panhandling on College Ave, right in front of the grill. Further up a Colley ave towards the parking deck a homeless guy was sleeping in the bushes. It’s what you get when you elect a liberal. Same in every liberal town I’ve ever visited.

For those who don't know, crime has taken an upward trajectory in Athens the last few years. Rapes, assaults, break-ins. Curious how the nitwits on Council think cutting PD will curb crime, or maybe they just don't care?

yea it has. I believe we had 8 robberies downtown a few weekends ago. Trash is flowing up stream from Bethel Homes and pooling downtown.

You kiss your mama with that mouth?

What I said has nothing to do with UGA - it has everything to do with the inept mismanagement of Athens-Clarke County and the downtown district by the ACC Commission. You apparently are too blinded to see the difference and separate Athens from UGA.

And in regards to my comments about UGA not being a very good school until the past two decades, I'm sorry you're red and black glasses hide this institution's academic history from you but you should try and research it sometime and you'll find out that I'm not wrong.

Additionally, I'm sorry you think I'm a horrible ambassador for UGA - but I actually care about this campus and this town. I spend my time volunteering at the food bank, working with homeless ministries through my church in town, and helping run one of the nation's top public universities - just because I'm not blind to the problems doesn't make me a horrible ambassador for this school. It's people like you that only care about football and Kirby Smart that are the real trash ambassadors. This school and town is so much more than the 7 weekends a year you spend here - come spend some time in real Athens and you might learn a thing or two.

I'm out.

P.S. - My shithole redneck town has someone who cleans up downtown and the sidewalks.

UGA IS Athens. Take the University out of Athens, and 90% of the businesses downtown close. UGA is the ONLY thing that keeps Athens from becoming Sparta Ga

UGA IS Athens. Take the University out of Athens, and 90% of the businesses downtown close. UGA is the ONLY thing that keeps Athens from becoming Sparta Ga

You’re correct - tell that to the Commission. They spend their time bad mouthing how UGA is run but can’t look at how poorly they manage their own city.

They demand UGA pay a living wage when the county is one of the worst paying employers in the area.

Everyone leaves for Oconee or Oglethorpe and this is what happens. Athens is dark blue and that can be a blessing and a curse for a college town.

Keep in mind a lot has gotten out of hand due to Covid and the methhead in Minnesota and that is true in most places.
There are still conservatives holding on here. A vast minority but it was always a liberal town. A lot of Athens lbs are also different than they were. I am probably a fool for holding on, but my family is here and they aren't running me to freakin' Oconee. Hell, I'll just go on up to Franklin County if I have to. I do a lot of work in Oconee, just not a huge fan of what it is becoming. I like the old Oconee County country people but the growing suburbia there is a little too Stepford Wives for my taste. If I go to the country, I'm going to the real country, not jumping on a tidal wave to a rural area and messing some good country peoples' county up. However, it is still nice down around Hgh Shoals and South Oconee is still pretty nice.

They elected some new people, too. Believe me.
As you know that is unusual. Are they doing better, I am asking because I’m interested. Also party affiliations if this is not to much to ask. I am a big believer both parties can vote in new people, both parties need to. Not saying change parties just find someone who you associate with better. All this has to be done in the primaries when few people vote.

Wtf are you talking about? Making stuff up and hope it sticks?

The same idiot that said UGA was a terrible school until very recently?

You didn’t seem like you like where you live and work very much, maybe you should find somewhere else to work and live instead of making up lies about it and insulting strangers online.

“wading through vomit and trash”??? You sound like a rival fan making up lies about Athens. Why don’t you go back to whatever shithole redneck town you came from. You’re a horrible ambassador for UGA.
He's not making up lies about downtown Athens. There's a lot more to Clarke County than downtown, which has gone to shat (and it won't be its first time). If he works in downtown Athens, he is describing exactly what going downtown entails. Luckily, I hang on the Prince Corridor and don't F' with downtown for entertainment and I also work in the field and from home. I am glad I don't have to wade through that cesspool to lunch every day.

There is also a lot more than downtown. Pre-Corona, there were a ton of non-downtown restaurants pening because no resident over 30 wants a thing to do with that area any more. It was not like that even 10 years ago as most of the decent restaurants were down there and even the geriatrics liked to go down there early. And maybe he makes good money down there and lives in the heart of 5 Points or some other places that are still nice. Many accounting offices (and other traditional daytime businesses) are still downtown so maybe it's just worth the tradeoff. That doesn't mean he is lying about downtown. It smells like ass down there. I'm an old dog. I used to watch them clean the streets late night from the perch where I was still partying at 5 in the morning. They used to try to keep the smell tamped down and they don't do that regularly anymore. Downtown areas rot and downtown Athens certainly is rotting out.

As you know that is unusual. Are they doing better, I am asking because I’m interested. Also party affiliations if this is not to much to ask. I am a big believer both parties can vote in new people, both parties need to. Not saying change parties just find someone who you associate with better. All this has to be done in the primaries when few people vote.
Athens started a scam a few years ago. Local elections are "partyless". The primary is basically the local election. Helped get more commies in so it worked out for them.

Athens started a scam a few years ago. Local elections are "partyless". The primary is basically the local election. Helped get more commies in so it worked out for them.
Never heard of that. That would be the way to go, that beats hell out of ballot harvesting.

He's not making up lies about downtown Athens. There's a lot more to Clarke County than downtown, which has gone to shat (and it won't be its first time). If he works in downtown Athens, he is describing exactly what going downtown entails. Luckily, I hang on the Prince Corridor and don't F' with downtown for entertainment and I also work in the field and from home. I am glad I don't have to wade through that cesspool to lunch every day.

There is also a lot more than downtown. Pre-Corona, there were a ton of non-downtown restaurants pening because no resident over 30 wants a thing to do with that area any more. It was not like that even 10 years ago as most of the decent restaurants were down there and even the geriatrics liked to go down there early. And maybe he makes good money down there and lives in the heart of 5 Points or some other places that are still nice. Many accounting offices (and other traditional daytime businesses) are still downtown so maybe it's just worth the tradeoff. That doesn't mean he is lying about downtown. It smells like ass down there. I'm an old dog. I used to watch them clean the streets late night from the perch where I was still partying at 5 in the morning. They used to try to keep the smell tamped down and they don't do that regularly anymore. Downtown areas rot and downtown Athens certainly is rotting out.

Thanks for the backup. I work on North Campus for UGA. He just despises me because even though I have two degrees from UGA, work there, and have dedicated my life to helping improve Athens/UGA in the small ways I can I understand it isn’t perfect and hasn’t always been what it is today.

But I’m the shitty ambassador for actually being able to see the problems and not sugar coating them.

I’m thinking to help recruiting, we ditch the bulldog and become the Mudsharks, have a fat bottle blonde in yoga shorts lead the team on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT