ADVERTISEMENT

ND - spent weekend in Athens dropping off son, downtown looks rough

I live in Athens and I never go downtown for this very reason. Our city is run by communists who are more concerned with virtue signaling than they are concerned with running our city.

/rant over
I hear this from quite a few adults

Reactions: UpDawg?
ACC is in the middle of a $12 million Clayton St streetscape project that includes replacing outdated sewer, stormwater and underground utilities as well as widening sidewalks, adding benches, landscaping, lighting, gathering spaces, dumpster enclosures, crosswalks etc.

ACC also just purchased Bethal Homes, the dilapidated low incoming housing on the north end of downtown, and plans to spend $40 million redeveloping into a mixed use project.

You can debate whether these are effective use of funds, but it's completely false to say the local government is standing by doing nothing. The Clayton St construction is long overdue and should mitigate a lot of the complaints mentioned in the thread. It's also the reason much of downtown looks bleaker than normal today due to the pre-dig phase which removed most of the old landscaping and added back temporary sidewalks and pavement markings.

Once school is back to normal and the virus is no longer limiting capacity, downtown will be back stronger than ever. There are a few more vacant store fronts just like the rest of the world but there's also some really great projects in the works throughout downtown.
There isnt a damn thing wrong with Clayton Street "as is". Thats a boondoggle. They have machines to keep the street from smelling like piss - they just dont use them. I am glad they are tearing down Bethel but they will probably make it some split project where some people have to pay for their property and some get Section 8. That means that it will be Bethel again in 10 yrs and the fools that will pay to live among people that dont have to pay will lose a lot of money. So from a $hitty project to section 8 in 10 yrs would be my bet. Gonna be great to spend a pile that is not needed on a downtown street and spend millions to tear down a dump to create another dump. Yay!

UGA IS Athens. Take the University out of Athens, and 90% of the businesses downtown close. UGA is the ONLY thing that keeps Athens from becoming Sparta Ga
I think we could still be Elberton or Royston! FWIW, I kinda like those towns, especially Royston, so not really running them down.

Reactions: ZosoDawg
I was still running hard downtown in my mid 40's. It has changed to crap. Hardly any local under 30 steps foot down there. It was not like that less than 10 yrs ago, although you could 100% see it coming.

Reactions: BlindPig

Same here. Most of the people I grew up with and their families never go downtown. I'm the same way along with the rest of my family. I'll only go down there at lunch during the week and only to places that are only downtown like Little Italy (and CFA because it's just really quick and convenient). Even then it's extremely common to get harassed by panhandlers. I'll go to Barberito's in 5 Points or the Blind Pig on Broad instead of the ones downtown. Just not worth dealing with the trash down there anymore.

I think we could still be Elberton or Royston! FWIW, I kinda like those towns, especially Royston, so not really running them down.

possibly, but a much higher poverty level than we currently have, and if I’m not mistaken, ACC already has one of the highest poverty leveles in the state

There isnt a damn thing wrong with Clayton Street "as is". Thats a boondoggle. They have machines to keep the street from smelling like piss - they just dont use them. I am glad they are tearing down Bethel but they will probably make it some split project where some people have to pay for their property and some get Section 8. That means that it will be Bethel again in 10 yrs and the fools that will pay to live among people that dont have to pay will lose a lot of money. So from a $hitty project to section 8 in 10 yrs would be my bet. Gonna be great to spend a pile that is not needed on a downtown street and spend millions to tear down a dump to create another dump. Yay!

The Clayton St infrastructure was completely obsolete and ACC has been working on this project for 15+ years. You're wrong there. Many of the problems brought up so far can be directly attributed to the lacking infrastructure and waste stations in downtown. This project address those needs and will also make the street more pedestrian friendly but it is also the reason DT looks more desolate today due to the prep work.

No comment on the Bethel project. Just providing some facts for the people that are claiming our local government isn't doing anything. In reality they are spending more than ever before. You are free to agree or disagree with the methods of spending.

Last edited:
The Clayton St infrastructure was completely obsolete and ACC has been working on this project for 15+ years. You're wrong there. Many of the problems brought up so far can be directly attributed to the lacking infrastructure and waste stations in downtown. This project address those needs and will also make the street more pedestrian friendly but it is also the reason DT looks more desolate today do to the prep work.

No comment on the Bethel project. Just providing some facts for the people that are claiming our local government isn't doing anything. In reality they are spending more than ever before. You are free to agree or disagree with the methods of spending.
i'm glad I'm still free. And if they are going to waste money on Clayton St, then they need to quit talking about the damn thing and just do it.

i'm glad I'm still free. And if they are going to waste money on Clayton St, then they need to quit talking about the damn thing and just do it.

You're also free to do some research on the topic because they already started it last year with expected completion in 2021.

I’m thinking to help recruiting, we ditch the bulldog and become the Mudsharks, have a fat bottle blonde in yoga shorts lead the team on the field.
xk6U5F0a2gLM91Cqo6wpUrwc3hzUYJNV-MVFpfmzI3SxHxErhRWuZNLHoZtizOsBboJQcLRsCPQzXxLVSgFJbyWVHabK1cVPbHZ4aP0FM7SfZi1Zw-xOXrNPYwRL2zHoPnpuAC_rVJF7Ne0XXA

Reactions: deadduckdawg
You're also free to do some research on the topic because they already started it last year with expected completion in 2021.

So have they been working on it 15+ Years or did they just start last year ?

Same here. Most of the people I grew up with and their families never go downtown. I'm the same way along with the rest of my family. I'll only go down there at lunch during the week and only to places that are only downtown like Little Italy (and CFA because it's just really quick and convenient). Even then it's extremely common to get harassed by panhandlers. I'll go to Barberito's in 5 Points or the Blind Pig on Broad instead of the ones downtown. Just not worth dealing with the trash down there anymore.
we are lucky we now have so many non-downtown culinary choices. Until relatively recently, there wasnt much entertainment in the actual 5 Points. It has exploded. Also more places in other areas too. Prince, Bottleworks, some more stuff in West Athens and liquor has opened up Oconee to legit dining. I'm old so I am actually fine with downtown being a dump. Keep the kids and the football tourists down in that cesspool. Fine with me. I just enjoy trashing it because it used to rock and now it sucks.

So have they been working on it 15+ Years or did they just start last year ?

They have discussed the need for the project for over 15 years. That is how outdated the infrastructure was. The project is now underway.

Burn. Nice one, too. What's taking so long down there? Seems like they could have finished it in corona April and May when the town was pretty much dead?

we are lucky we now have so many non-downtown culinary choices. Until relatively recently, there wasnt much entertainment in the actual 5 Points. It has exploded. Also more places in other areas too. Prince, Bottleworks, some more stuff in West Athens and liquor has opened up Oconee to legit dining. I'm old so I am actually fine with downtown being a dump. Keep the kids and the football tourists down in that cesspool. Fine with me. I just enjoy trashing it because it used to rock and now it sucks.

fock, I hate even going downtown to see a show at the ga theater anymore. Have to worry about getting robbed just walking back to your car after a show.

fock, I hate even going downtown to see a show at the ga theater anymore. Have to worry about getting robbed just walking back to your car after a show.
And now Athens uber charges you 25 bucks to take me 5 blocks. I pay it because I dont want to get jumped in that cesspool (and I am also usually drinking). Cost less than $10 at most for 2 people pre.corona. thanks, China.

Burn. Nice one, too. What's taking so long down there? Seems like they could have finished it in corona April and May when the town was pretty much dead?

Sewar, stormwater, private utilities all need replacing/rerouting. Little more detailed than just paving a new sidewalk and road.They also planned construction in phases stopping around fall football and holiday shopping per requests from the local businesses.

Sewar, stormwater, private utilities all need replacing/rerouting. Little more detailed than just paving a new sidewalk and road.They also planned construction in phases stopping around fall football and holiday shopping per requests from the local businesses.
well, they did OK on the other major downtown projects, although I hated to see the Mardi Gras bead tree and all the other.ones go down. But the new ones are growing pretty quickly. Maybe the pack of commies running us wont screw it up.

Are you a city planner. If so, tell your limb truck people to quit knocking down all the low hanging electric and cable wires or at least call it in. I see em. They know they knocked them down. Also, tell them to flush the stormwater pipes more since we pay 10 times more per yr than what they promised with the stormwater bill scam. They also used to keep the trees around the wires trimmed so the power doesnt go out when the wind blows. You just seem connected to the city so I thought I'd tell ypu what interests a lot of us commoners.

But I hope the new super green and friendly Clayton St project that single lanes it and has less parking spaces is great! Single laning that part of Hawthorne was pure brilliance. Glad the state wont let you get all of Prince. I know you'll get to screw up the lower half of it at some.point. i do like your traffic islands. They made things better on North and Tallassee.

well, they did OK on the other major downtown projects, although I hated to see the Mardi Gras bead tree and all the other.ones go down. But the new ones are growing pretty quickly. Maybe the pack of commies running us wont screw it up.

Are you a city planner. If so, tell your limb truck people to quit knocking down all the low hanging electric and cable wires or at least call it in. I see em. They know they knocked them down. Also, tell them to flush the stormwater pipes more since we pay 10 times more per yr than what they promised with the stormwater bill scam. They also used to keep the trees around the wires trimmed so the power doesnt go out when the wind blows. You just seem connected to the city so I thought I'd tell ypu what interests a lot of us commoners.

But I hope the new super green and friendly Clayton St project that single lanes it and has less parking spaces is great! Single laning that part of Hawthorne was pure brilliance. Glad the state wont let you get all of Prince. I know you'll get to screw up the lower half of it at some.point. i do like your traffic islands. They made things better on North and Tallassee.

Just quit paying that storm water bill. It’s a scam. I haven’t paid it in a few years. They can’t make you pay it.

Nope, don't work for the government, just informed. BTW, Clayton is being reduced from 3 lanes to 2, not a single lane. The finished product will undoubtedly help with many complaints mentioned here.

Just to chime in because it’s too early for my nightcaps, I visited downtown in January for the first time in 20-odd years and was really disappointed in how dead and dark it was. This was on a weeknight. Walked from a Hyatt, which seemed new, to the Last Resort for dinner because I bought John Lee Hooker a drink there in 1973 when it was just a nice little music venue. Had a really good meal and walked back to the Hyatt.

Downtown sort of had a 1981 Beirut feel without the explosions. I stopped in 3 bars on the university side of Broad looking for a martini and not one had vermouth or a single customer but me. I asked the barkeep how he kept the bouncer at the door awake and he just shrugged and looked at me like I was the oldest f**k he had ever seen. All 3 bars were filthy, empty, and smelled like sewage. I had a horrible drink in each horrible bar in a horrible plastic cup and went back to the hotel where I had a bottle of proper gin and vermouth.

So, I wasn’t too bothered by the East St Louis look of the place, but I was shocked the bars and streets were empty, albeit a weeknight. Downtown had lost some mojo in 47 years. I drove through campus the next day and some kind of huge dyke class must have just let out.

Reactions: JohnnyBeeDawg
Nope, don't work for the government, just informed. BTW, Clayton is being reduced from 3 lanes to 2, not a single lane. The finished product will undoubtedly help with many complaints mentioned here.
Will it stop all the chains going in?

Just to chime in because it’s too early for my nightcaps, I visited downtown in January for the first time in 20-odd years and was really disappointed in how dead and dark it was. This was on a weeknight. Walked from a Hyatt, which seemed new, to the Last Resort for dinner because I bought John Lee Hooker a drink there in 1973 when it was just a nice little music venue. Had a really good meal and walked back to the Hyatt.

Downtown sort of had a 1981 Beirut feel without the explosions. I stopped in 3 bars on the university side of Broad looking for a martini and not one had vermouth or a single customer but me. I asked the barkeep how he kept the bouncer at the door awake and he just shrugged and looked at me like I was the oldest f**k he had ever seen. All 3 bars were filthy, empty, and smelled like sewage. I had a horrible drink in each horrible bar in a horrible plastic cup and went back to the hotel where I had a bottle of proper gin and vermouth.

So, I wasn’t too bothered by the East St Louis look of the place, but I was shocked the bars and streets were empty, albeit a weeknight. Downtown had lost some mojo in 47 years. I drove through campus the next day and some kind of huge dyke class must have just let out.
Athens is a shell of what it was but I'm glad the younger ones seem to dig it. Telling about their taste and dumbassery but I am definitely more "informed" about the town I have lived in for 35 yrs after this thread.

Where are they going to load and unload? In a lane?

Will it stop all the chains going in?

Most pro-business people can appreciate a good "chain" that will increase foot traffic and make coming downtown more viable for all people instead of those that think it's just a big dump for college kids and the homeless. I hope we do continue to attract a healthy mixture of chains and local businesses. Will be good for everyone.

They added additional loading zones in appropriate places like side streets prior to the Clayton St project getting underway.

I don't recall making a beer delivery guy walk a little farther in some instances a big talking point.

Athens is a shell of what it was but I'm glad the younger ones seem to dig it. Telling about their taste and dumbassery but I am definitely more "informed" about the town I have lived in for 35 yrs after this thread.
In fairness to them, they have to work much harder to get in and to stay in, and can’t stay baked all week, I guess, which turns them into introverted nerds and causes bars to go broke. During the Nixon years a couple hundred bucks a quarter tuition would eventually get you a degree at any level of drunk. Whatever, everything changes, mostly for the worse.

You have now and it worked beautifully.
I wonder did anyone take it to court? The county must have voted on it probably during on off year, easier target voters to the poll.

In the street, same as they do now. I’ve asked several LTL drivers that come to my place of business. You can’t turn a ‘53 foot truck down those side streets. All of them said they will still Unload in the middle of the street as usual.

Last edited:
Speaking of that flamer Mayor of Athens.
What an insult to people's intelligence...
The Classic City, keeping it classy... Newly formed, “Police Advisory Board Development Task Force”, whose members were appointed by ACC Mayor Kelly Girtz. Members include:

Mokah Jasmine Johnson-Democratic candidate for GA House District 117, founder of Athens-Anti Discrimination Movement, led effort to end cash bail in Athens-Clarke County and has pledged commitment to end cash bail state-wide if elected.

Nikema Stovall- Currently has 3 pending criminal cases in ACC. All are family violence related. 1) ST20CR0305-Simple Battery(FVA) & Disorderly Conduct, released 1/16/2020 on $1k “OR” bond. 2) 20PI0416- False imprisonment(FVA), Simple Battery(FVA), & Criminal Trespass(FVA), released 3/11/2020 GS bond. 3) 20PA1066- Violation of Family Violence Order(FVA), released 07/22/2020 on $5k “OR” Bond. Has a lengthy arrest history including drug trafficking.

Jaivious Collins- Initially indicted 2/23/16. Rape, False Imprisonment, Criminal Attempt to Commit Sodomy, Interference with Witness, Tampering with Evidence. Pled Guilty to Child Molestation on 11/30/2017. (SU17CR0955)

Stephanie Flores- SU18CR1004- 4/14/2018 Felony Obstruction of LEO, Poss. Schedule 2 Controlled Substance, Poss. Schedule 4 Controlled Substance x2, & Simple Battery LEO. Pled Guilty on 9/5/2019 to Drugs not in Original Container and Disorderly Conduct.

And people wonder wtf is wrong with this town.

Apples and oranges. Athens is a city with a lot going on - people who have nothing to do with the school, local businesses, a growing young professional crowd, a huge music scene, a thriving restaurant scene, a local craft beer haven, etc,

Aub is a couple cheesy wing/pizza places, a drug store and some other buildings. It’s a small town that gets a facelift pre-fall every year to Impress the new students’ parents.

Keep in mind Aub relies HEAVILY on out of state students, many of whom knew nothing about it until they couldn’t get into UGA, UF, UNC, Texas, Ohio State, etc. Alabama is the same way.

So dressing up everything on the surface to impress people who will only see your town/campus once or twice before going there can hide a lot of stuff.

UGA otoh is 80%+ in state, is a destination school for most, only takes the best of the best from out of state, kids and parents who thoroughly research where they want to go. Athens and it’s reputation need no introduction.

This is a very disappointing thread to be reading on here filled with political rants and misguided criticism. Probably from the same type who would visit decatur and kennesaw and try to compare the two as if they both have the same goals and same culture

There is a reason why Athens is widely considered America’s best college town and why Auburn is roundly thought of as a cowtown.

Oh, and by the way, if Athens is a little shabby right now it may have something to do with the virus. Did you not remember that’s been going on for six months? Tends to hurt businesses and slow aesthetic improvements ....
Don’t think so scooter.
Oh you better believe they do, SPORT. Or is it grasshopper or junior? Your use of scooter in your smear vernacular assures me that you are one of the herded ones.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT