ADVERTISEMENT

Not-so Scientific Run game Analysis

StrickDawg7

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2006
Atlanta, GA
mstrick.com
I went back and charted the Georgia run game vs Clemson / Kentucky / Alabama / Auburn. I wanted to first verify that we mostly run out of the shotgun and we rarely run or even line up under center. The stats may not be super surprising to you all but thought it was something to add to the conversation.

Clemson
  • Shotgun Runs - 16 (~73%)
  • Under Center Runs - 4 (~18%)
  • Mixed WR Runs/End Around - 2 (~9%)
Kentucky
  • Shotgun Runs - 22 (~85%)
  • Under Center Runs - 4 (~15%)
  • Mixed WR Runs/End Around - 0 (0%)
Alabama
  • Shotgun RB Inside Zone Run - 14 (87.5%)
  • Under Center Runs - 0 (0%)
  • Mixed WR Runs/End Around - 2 (12.5%)
Auburn
  • Shotgun Runs - 30 (~91%)
  • Under Center Runs - 2 (~6%)
  • Mixed WR Runs/End Around - 1 (~3%)
Overall
  • Shotgun Runs - 82 (~84%)
  • Under Center Runs - 10 (~10%)
  • Mixed WR Runs/End Around - 5 (~6%)
Caveats:
  • Not including Tennessee Tech
  • Not including QB scrambles / non-designed run plays

How does this strike you? As expected?

Some general observations on the run game:
  • Etienne is the best back we have had since McIntosh / Swift and he's probably better than both. He is shifty, makes us look a lot better than we currently are. Reminds me a lot of Sony Michel but faster and twitchier, similar running styles.
  • TE / WR Blocking is very poor compared to 2021/2022. Some will point to Washington being gone, which is valid, but we under valued how well Ladd, Bowers, Rosemy, Mitchell, and Jackson blocked for us.
  • OL Blocking has not been super great, lots of plays where one guy is busting which breaks things down.
  • Robinson is not seeing the field very well, several plays where the hole is going to open up if he trusts it but bails too early.
  • Frazier can outrun people to the edge and make people miss in the hole. He's still young and learning but promising future.
  • Bobo is trying to use quick screens and RPO for short passes to offset how poor we are in the run game.
  • Bobo loves himself some inside zone out of the shotgun, it's our bread and butter play. It can hit on a light box, did several times versus Auburn.
  • First two games we mostly ran left, now we are running more right.
More on OL:
  • Truss and Fairchild have not played at a very high level this year.
  • Truss is a Guard, go back and watch some games from 2022, he gets a little bit too far over his feet on pass protection as a tackle.
  • Greene has struggled some in pass protection, not playing as good as he did last year.
  • I think our best 5 are: Greene, Truss, Wilson, Morris, Freeling.
Some Bonus Passing Opinions:
  • I think Carson may be hurt, either his shoulder or something with his leg. His throwing motion has been off since Kentucky. When you look at how he sets his feet and lets it rip, there's a clear difference the past few games compared to 2023.
  • 15 & 86 do not look in sync, lots of routes are either ran completely wrong or not crisp resulting in a lot of misses.
  • 4 is not very good at catching passes where he has to adjust, if the ball is in the air and he has to move his body to catch it, incomplete.
  • 1 & 16 & 6 are probably our best WR threats at this time. I'm interested to see if 84 can learn the playbook and play assignment football if he can help us. 7 has a nack for getting open and making the catches where 4 does not.
  • 11 drops way to many passes to be a starting WR in the SEC.
Overall, we are average on offense. Our identity is Carson being really good for 5-10 plays per drive and making the right reads and/or Etienne hitting some good runs or making someone miss. With penalties, sacks or Carson being off against a good defense it becomes a challenge to score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.