ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame, Michigan, and Augusta National Do It Better

hazeldog

National Champion
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2001
I’ve sat in Section 209 since 1980. I love Sanford. It’s one of the best venues in all college sports. I get goosebumps every time the trumpet soloist plays the first seven notes. I could go on and on about all the views, layout and the unique attributes that make Sanford special. But I loathe the marketing at Sanford.

I’m a purist but recognize that UGA has sold marketing rights at and in Sanford well before I was born. Poss BBQ, Coke, etc. It’s nothing new, but our stakeholders and decision makers continue to push us further and further in the wrong direction.

UGA should take a page out of the Masters (and Notre Dame and Michigan) playbook and do away with all marketing or at least excessive marketing inside Sanford. The ribbon, scoreboard, and now quicktrip signage is nauseating. I get the need for money, but play the long view.

When we played at Notre Dame, there were zero adds in the stadium. The only things that played on the video board were replays or videos directly related to the school, students, faculty, or alumni. Same at Michigan. Zero marketing signage anywhere. So refreshing.

Be different UGA. Be better. Make the place so damn special to attend that the dollars you sacrifice in marketing are offset by the difference in experience and separation amongst your peers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.