ADVERTISEMENT

Now even a NY Times piece says masks did not work. Another thing some of us said in advance would not work yet...

BigDaddyDawgBreath

Hairy Cooontex
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
We were mocked or worse and all subjected (particularly school kids) to inane foolishness for many months.

Some key quotes:

“There is just no evidence that they” — masks — “make any difference. Full stop.”

What about N-95 masks, as opposed to lower-quality surgical or cloth masks? "Makes no difference — none of it,"

What about the studies that initially persuaded policymakers to impose mask mandates? "They were convinced by non-randomized studies, flawed observational studies.”

Exactly what myself and many others said in real time then - because the research already existed showing they did not work.

The summary:

"Mask mandates were a bust. Those skeptics who were furiously mocked as cranks and occasionally censored as “misinformers” for opposing mandates were right. The mainstream experts and pundits who supported mandates were wrong. In a better world, it would behoove the latter group to acknowledge their error, along with its considerable physical, psychological, pedagogical and political costs."

I hope some folks learn about actual expertise and being far more hesitant to attack others who dare dissent.

As I said at the time, if you sent an employee into a room while knowing a deadly pathogen was present with only a cloth or surgical mask and told them they were protected, you'd be civilly liable and likely criminally liable. Additionally, improper use of PPE can be more dangerous than no PPE at all because folks act like they have protection when in reality they have none.

We were mocked or worse and all subjected (particularly school kids) to inane foolishness for many months.

Some key quotes:

“There is just no evidence that they” — masks — “make any difference. Full stop.”

What about N-95 masks, as opposed to lower-quality surgical or cloth masks? "Makes no difference — none of it,"

What about the studies that initially persuaded policymakers to impose mask mandates? "They were convinced by non-randomized studies, flawed observational studies.”

Exactly what myself and many others said in real time then - because the research already existed showing they did not work.

The summary:

"Mask mandates were a bust. Those skeptics who were furiously mocked as cranks and occasionally censored as “misinformers” for opposing mandates were right. The mainstream experts and pundits who supported mandates were wrong. In a better world, it would behoove the latter group to acknowledge their error, along with its considerable physical, psychological, pedagogical and political costs."

I hope some folks learn about actual expertise and being far more hesitant to attack others who dare dissent.

That's an opinion piece, got a link to the data or study?

Let me help you out @shonuff253 (these are all linked in the piece itself but just to provide excellent customer service):

Interview with Dr Tom Jefferson, Oxford epidemiologist who led the data review:

Here is the link to the data review in Cochrane:

That's an opinion piece, got a link to the data or study?
And the reason it is most likely in the opinion section is that even with such an enormous amount of data simply crushing the notion masks were anything other than a safety blanket, NY Times science folks did not touch it.

But if you know about the politics of the NY Times editorial and opinion process they have a tough time even allowing different opinions in the opinion section (go look up "Tom Cotton NY Times op ed")

This review and the conclusions are devastating to the credibility of all the moralistic crusaders who slapped masks on all our faces in spite of clear evidence from before, during and after that masks were useless against covid.

As I said at the time, if you sent an employee into a room while knowing a deadly pathogen was present with only a cloth or surgical mask and told them they were protected, you'd be civilly liable and likely criminally liable. Additionally, improper use of PPE can be more dangerous than no PPE at all because folks act like they have protection when in reality they have none.
2 weeks ago I had an intelligent and educated person ask me if a person who was possibly positive for covid ask me "is he masked so he won't spread?"

I pretty much lit into the person and said "enough of this silliness."

They got angry and stormed off.

We still have a lot of broken brains.

Anyone with any sense knows that you cannot stop mosquitoes with a chain linked fence! The notion that microscopic droplets were going to be stopped by mask with much larger holes was very foolish! Also, the vaccines are nothing but a huge moneymaker for the pharmaceutical companies & may very well be doing extensive long term health problems to many people, both young & old!

Let me help you out @shonuff253 (these are all linked in the piece itself but just to provide excellent customer service):

Interview with Dr Tom Jefferson, Oxford epidemiologist who led the data review:

Here is the link to the data review in Cochrane:

Here’s a detailed analysis of why the Cochran study may be flawed.

Here’s a detailed analysis of why the Cochran study may be flawed.

LOL. "May be flawed."

There is nothing that will break the faith some cling to around masks.

There is a mountain range of data there. It cannot be clearer.

And most importantly the actual reality of 3 years of the mindless foolishness of masking and how it obviously did nothing. Not even marginally.

Germany had an N-95 mandate. Sweden said "F masks." Mask mandate states vs no mask mandates states.

Identical infection rates.

All you do clinging to masks is destroy your own credibility.

4.17.22.-German-Sweden.png

4.17.22-All-States.png

Recent commentary on masks before the narrative took over...

Those who reasonably pointed that out as masks were first being discussed got shouted down as fools or granny killers.

Been called that even now.

A toxic blend of ignorance and foolish fear.

Those who reasonably pointed that out as masks were first being discussed got shouted down as fools or granny killers.

Full disclosure, I supported the idea of masking when the pandemic hit as a mitigation effort, not a protection measure.
The mitigation wasn't to stop SARS-CoV-2 from spreading in all forms, but as allergy season was upon us, I was all about the idea of people masking to reduce chronic sneezing and coughing which could exacerbate spreading beyond the normal transmission from talking and breathing.

Pandemic or not, nothing worse than being in a grocery store or a tight space with people hacking and spraying excessively.

Just before Christmas there was an older lady wearing a mask around her chin standing in front of the potatoes at Publix just coughing repeatedly and not even covering her mouth. My wife gave her a look and the lady pulled her mask over her nose and mouth. Just gross. Why even have the mask if you're not using it?

Reactions: BigDaddyDawgBreath
Full disclosure, I supported the idea of masking when the pandemic hit as a mitigation effort, not a protection measure.
The mitigation wasn't to stop SARS-CoV-2 from spreading in all forms, but as allergy season was upon us, I was all about the idea of people masking to reduce chronic sneezing and coughing which could exacerbate spreading beyond the normal transmission from talking and breathing.

Pandemic or not, nothing worse than being in a grocery store or a tight space with people hacking and spraying excessively.

Just before Christmas there was an older lady wearing a mask around her chin standing in front of the potatoes at Publix just coughing repeatedly and not even covering her mouth. My wife gave her a look and the lady pulled her mask over her nose and mouth. Just gross. Why even have the mask if you're not using it?
The whole episode has been gross. Intellectually and otherwise.

Some key quotes:

The summary:

What a waste of time and energy to bring this up.

Wear a mask, don't wear one.

Your choice.

Most people except it, either way.

Reactions: mitchelldawg

Your choice.

No, it's not a waste of energy because there has been no real review of the measures employed during covid (almost all of which were unprecedented).

No good organization or country does something of significance and doesn't do a thorough review when over to learn what worked and what didn't.

I think those who rammed this stuff down our throats just want to memory hole it all and say what you said here, which comes across as in effect "shut up and move on."

Your choice.

Oh and perhaps you have missed all the public health "experts" (CDC, WHO) have just in the last several days doubled/tripled/quadrupled down on masks.

Many colleges are still requiring covid boosters to attend.

Time to watch the film and give out grades. Unless you also think watching film after a football game is a "waste of time and energy to bring up."

(The folks who think that are usually the ones who didn't do a good job last time out)

That is one of the biggest issues with masking the public. Virtually NOBODY came close to following any sort of proper PPE protocols BUT they thought that since they hung a cloth mask on their rear view mirror and put it on before entering a public place that they were protecting themselves and others and didn't have to follow distancing and good hygiene practices that were the recommended practices to minimize viral spread for decades.

So, we ended up with a bunch of kids that weren't at risk growing lab experiments on their faces for a couple of years not to mention the psychological damage caused by being masked. AND every bit of this was known before the first mandate was issued. In an honest, non partisan world, some elites would be turning big rocks into little rocks right now and Cuomo would likely be in for life.

LOL. "May be flawed."

There is nothing that will break the faith some cling to around masks.

There is a mountain range of data there. It cannot be clearer.

And most importantly the actual reality of 3 years of the mindless foolishness of masking and how it obviously did nothing. Not even marginally.

Germany had an N-95 mandate. Sweden said "F masks." Mask mandate states vs no mask mandates states.

Identical infection rates.

All you do clinging to masks is destroy your own credibility.

4.17.22.-German-Sweden.png

4.17.22-All-States.png

I’m confident I’ve never called you a fool or a granny killer. I will also respectfully suggest that you have been one of the top sources of hyperbole, accusation and insults and overheated commentary about a broad spectrum of Covid related topics including the destructive impact requiring masks had on kids.

I’m not an epidemiologist and I’ve not invested hundreds of hours on this topic and as such I’ll refrain from speaking in absolutes. I can say there are a number of studies including the one linked below that make a case for masking.

There seems to be a very strong emotional need to be proven right about a number of topics related to Covid, and that’s true on both sides. I’m not part of that group.

Broadly speaking, I think we did the best we could with the information we had at the time. I definitely do not believe, in contrast to some on the Chat, that Covid, masks and vaccines were part of a global conspiracy to permanently eliminate freedoms and assert control for a one world government (or any of the other related conspiracy theory offshoots there of). To be clear, I’m not accusing you of being one of the conspiracy theorist on here, but no doubt for what ever reason you are deeply emotionally invested in this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: nice marmot
Rates of infection among masked versus un-masked are virtually identical! The data is very clear, the damn mask( of all sorts) , did nothing to stop the spread of infection. Furthermore, mask mandates were a tremendous overreach on the part of federal,state, & local governments by clueless officials.To quote The Who: “ We Wont Get Fooled Again “!

Can we get a Venn diagram of idiots who think masks worked relative to idiots who think Trump admin ruling on train brakes caused the crash in East Palestine relative to idiots who agree with AOC that East Palestine needs American arms to defend against Israeli aggression?

I’m confident I’ve never called you a fool or a granny killer. I will also respectfully suggest that you have been one of the top sources of hyperbole, accusation and insults and overheated commentary about a broad spectrum of Covid related topics including the destructive impact requiring masks had on kids.

I’m not an epidemiologist and I’ve not invested hundreds of hours on this topic and as such I’ll refrain from speaking in absolutes. I can say there are a number of studies including the one linked below that make a case for masking.

There seems to be a very strong emotional need to be proven right about a number of topics related to Covid, and that’s true on both sides. I’m not part of that group.

Broadly speaking, I think we did the best we could with the information we had at the time. I definitely do not believe, in contrast to some on the Chat, that Covid, masks and vaccines were part of a global conspiracy to permanently eliminate freedoms and assert control for a one world government (or any of the other related conspiracy theory offshoots there of). To be clear, I’m not accusing you of being one of the conspiracy theorist on here, but no doubt for what ever reason you are deeply emotionally invested in this topic.

You were lied to by your government and they used those lies to strip freedoms they had no constitutional authority to enact. There was a reason why the authorities told you masks aren't an effective strategy to protect you from viral infection and even if you believe it was due to a shortage, they either lied about that or they lied when they decided cloth masks protect you.

It's just a fact that governors that were sending covid patients back into nursing homes were forcing private businesses to close and even trying to restrict worship in some states. Now, you may believe the cause was noble and you may believe our government is not capable of tyranny but it's a simple fact that there were abuses during the pandemic.

Last edited:

Some key quotes:

The summary:

I wish your last statement would ring true. One thing we know is, those same people will double down on their stupidity and ignorance to bash those who question their methods and treatises.

Reactions: BigDaddyDawgBreath
All-things being equal...with all caveats being considered...I don't know how anybody can argue w/ applied, actual real-life (long-term) results from an 'experiment' vs. a Control Group.

...it's overwhelming evidence. Any study that tries to contradict the actual, real-life results would rely on funny math, w/ far-less data points. I challenge anybody to present data that contradicts the above findings, w/ a data set that approaches the total #'s above.

There is no legitimate argument for forced mask use. It was debunked prior to COVID & has consistently been proven to be poor policy.

I challenge anybody to provide a study...anywhere that demonstrates a forced-mask policy that outperformed a similar no-mask policy. (hint: you won't find it, because it doesn't exist & "science" has known this for years).

2 weeks ago I had an intelligent and educated person ask me if a person who was possibly positive for covid ask me "is he masked so he won't spread?"

I pretty much lit into the person and said "enough of this silliness."

They got angry and stormed off.

We still have a lot of broken brains.
those people are crazy, I mean bat shit crazy.
Got one at my job also.

All-things being equal...with all caveats being considered...I don't know how anybody can argue w/ applied, actual real-life (long-term) results from an 'experiment' vs. a Control Group.

...it's overwhelming evidence. Any study that tries to contradict the actual, real-life results would rely on funny math, w/ far-less data points. I challenge anybody to present data that contradicts the above findings, w/ a data set that approaches the total #'s above.

There is no legitimate argument for forced mask use. It was debunked prior to COVID & has consistently been proven to be poor policy.

I challenge anybody to provide a study...anywhere that demonstrates a forced-mask policy that outperformed a similar no-mask policy. (hint: you won't find it, because it doesn't exist & "science" has known this for years).
This rat cheer.

Those who still argue for masks are only incinerating their own credibility. Trouble is CDC and WHO are *still* doing it, and we might need people to believe those organizations one day when a dangerous situation emerges.

But will anyone listen to them?

And how is it rednecks like me could so consistently outperform their "models" and predictions? I mean, nearly 100% of the time.

It wasn't really that hard. Just basic research and analysis combined with (wait for it)... the courage to say unpopular things. The courage part is what made me so much better at their jobs than them.

Our scientific institutions are dripping with group think and dogmas, which ought to scare the hell out of anyone paying attention...

I’m confident I’ve never called you a fool or a granny killer. I will also respectfully suggest that you have been one of the top sources of hyperbole, accusation and insults and overheated commentary about a broad spectrum of Covid related topics including the destructive impact requiring masks had on kids
When you can find a meaningful topic around covid I was wrong on then perhaps your attack on me might matter.

I was direct and tough in my language because I accurately predicted *every single negative that happened* and could see the pain that was going to occur.

The effects of lockdown...

The vax not stopping transmission...

The massive negatives of school closures and virtual school...

That masks would not work...

I literally crushed every local public health agency and CDC on when variants would peak. I know what I said in various venues was taken to CDC to try to refute it and all they could do was watch themselves be wrong again.

So I don't care what anyone says about me engaging in "hyperbole." I was right and the negative effects of covid measures that were used (often against the evidence) are anything but hyperbolic.

Last edited:
That is one of the biggest issues with masking the public. Virtually NOBODY came close to following any sort of proper PPE protocols BUT they thought that since they hung a cloth mask on their rear view mirror and put it on before entering a public place that they were protecting themselves and others and didn't have to follow distancing and good hygiene practices that were the recommended practices to minimize viral spread for decades.

So, we ended up with a bunch of kids that weren't at risk growing lab experiments on their faces for a couple of years not to mention the psychological damage caused by being masked. AND every bit of this was known before the first mandate was issued. In an honest, non partisan world, some elites would be turning big rocks into little rocks right now and Cuomo would likely be in for life.
When masks were first being discussed in March 2020 I at first thought "maybe this makes sense" but then went looking for data.

It was clear. Masks were very unlikely to stop covid from spreading. Said so here and many other places after reviewing the clear trends in the research.

And now that it's over when one points back to that to say "perhaps you should have listened" the predictable things get thrown out about "you need to be right" etc.

It smacks of folks who still cannot just admit errors and learn. We all screw up.

can’t dispute your position, honestly though, the whole thing was to show that people where “aligned” with science and a stand against Trump
The same people who wore the masks proudly, virtue signaling they were on the “right” side are the same ones with stickers on their cars today saying they “stand with Ukraine”.

Some key quotes:

The summary:

Yes, this administration was lying from day one and they continue to do so.
clint eastwood middle finger GIF by Maudit

Some key quotes:

The summary:

Bullshit. Guess all my docs … from Harvard, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Emory, GMC, don’t know shit? Next time YOU have surgery tell ‘em not to mask up. Laughable post no matter the source.

Bullshit. Guess all my docs … from Harvard, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Emory, GMC, don’t know shit? Next time YOU have surgery tell ‘em not to mask up. Laughable post no matter the source.
LOL. You see a lot of doctors. You doing alright? 😉

FYI - this guy below is from Johns Hopkins yet...

Reactions: Moosefish
The same people who wore the masks proudly, virtue signaling they were on the “right” side are the same ones with stickers on their cars today saying they “stand with Ukraine”.
Yeah but please don't blame the people of Ukraine or elsewhere in Eastern Europe for their silliness.

I am not - at all - on board with the section of conservatives bashing on support for Ukraine. Plenty of reasons for that but won't clog the net here with that. Just that there is no connection between the 2 issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT