ADVERTISEMENT

Now perhaps you understand why the data about COVID-19...

It's been that way from the beginning, particularly the political aspect.

The media stokes fear as a means of generating revenue, then the politicians, particularly those on the Democrat side of the aisle, jump on board so they can gain political capital.

Guess who is already allied with these Democrat politicians and can further muddy the waters while stoking fear in our citizens? Many of these federal health care officials are in the bag and are happy to go right along.

I've said it before and I'll say it again before this thread is closed or I'm kicked out of here forever; this has been the greatest political boondoggle in the history of our nation.
To be fair, both political parties are a joke.

Reactions: Blocker57
a 0.5% death rate means 1 out of 200 who contract it die

we’ve seen dozens contract in MLB already despite far fewer playing than would occur across cfb

how many deaths are an acceptable risk in your mind?
So for 18-22 year olds 125 deaths in the us this year from covid. Auto accidents for same age group 2500. You ready to ban driving for that age group. What is your risk tolerance? Seems something that is 10x more dangerous is acceptable

Reactions: WyoDawg307
This pic below of the increases in Georgia cases explains the improved outlook to me. SW GA early in all this was overrun with COVID. Albany had more deaths than Atlanta; the infection rates in many counties were among the highest in the world. The rest of the state looked relatively safe by comparison. Of course there was a similar situation in New York City as they were getting pounded in comparison to FL, Tx, ect.
Fast forward a couple of months into the end of July and what do you see? Suddenly SW GA, compared to the rest of the state, looks pretty benign. On top of that, NYC has been getting heralded on how things are now good there and that they are supposedly doing things right.
What has really happened? The virus is simply going to go where available hosts happen to be. As SWGA was getting hit, the rest of the state was looking good--but actually sitting vulnerably. Same with NYC vs FL, TX, ect. The virus is going to go where it can find hosts. I think the virus has moved through the population at a much higher non diagnosed and asymptomatic rate than any of us know. As the lack of available hosts decline, the counties, as you see in SW GA below, show up as looking good. Same with states as NY is looking good as well.
Project all of this out two more months. Where will we be? By then the rest of the state, and likely the whole country, will look like SW GA and NYC do now. As some are now beginning to forecast, I think we'll be on the rapid road to being done with this thing.

116710658_10222439828601193_7925661535759242659_o.jpg

Last edited:
This pic below of the increases in Georgia cases explains the improved outlook to me. SW GA early in all this was overrun with COVID. Albany had more deaths than Atlanta; the infection rates in many counties was among the highest in the world. The rest of the state looked relatively safe by comparison. Of course there was a similar situation in New York City as they were getting pounded in comparison to FL, Tx, ect.
Fast forward a couple of months into the end of July and what do you see? Suddenly SW GA, compared to the rest of the state, looks pretty benign. On top of that, NYC has been getting heralded on how things are now good there and that they are supposedly doing things right.
What has really happened? The virus is simply going to go where available hosts happen to be. As SWGA was getting hit, the rest of the state was looking good--but actually sitting vulnerably. Same with NYC vs FL, TX, ect. The virus is going to go where it can find hosts. I think the virus has moved through the population at a much higher non diagnosed and asymptomatic rate than any of us know. As the lack of available host declines, the counties, as you see in the pic below, show up as looking good. Same with states as NY is looking good as well.
Project all of this out two more months. Where will we be? As some are now beginning to forecast, I think we'll be on the rapid road to being done with this thing.

Excellent points, DLR. most states enacted shutdowns before the virus could take hold. Unfortunately, the virus had already taken a strong hold in NY, NJ, CT, etc and it spread like crazy there early on. Now that those states have begun to open up, you are correct, there are simply relative few persons for the virus to attach to.

The opposite occurred here. Except for the early hotspots (sadly your hometown was one of them), Georgia nipped it in the bud, relatively speaking. However, once Summer came on and the virus returned, the were proportionally more people for it to latch onto (except in areas like SWGA). It has now peaked and is receding as BDDB has so artfully pointed out.

The one undeniable truth about this virus is that it spreads from host to host. It doesn’t just hang around in the ether and jump out and attack folks. When the hosts cease to exist, it does too. See also Sweden.

was so damn critical and why I kept posting it. The ignorance of what is really happening with this disease has brought us to this point... and if @jasonsDawg and @athensdawg88 are hearing right the season is in peril.

You care about college football? Your life in general?

You need to take this chart below and shove it up the virtual hind parts of everyone you know who matters in this state. COVID-19 is receding in Georgia, just like it is in Arizona and other places. A Nobel prize winner at Stanford says it is not coming back. Scientists around the world are backing him up more every day.

Perhaps we only end up with a season played within the SEC but at least we can show the rest of the country how to live life.

Shit happens folks. Tough things come up. We can cower in a corner, or we can deal with it like smart, tough adults. I been to some shitty corners of this world, and I never found once where backing up, or hiding from facts, ever worked.

And if you are ignoring the facts of who this disease threatens and who is does not at this point you are a lost cause. Continue sheltering in place.

In the meantime somebody has to *lead*. Lots of you reading this board matter in this state (and beyond it). Stand up and be counted. If we think hell raised across an entire region will not matter, we are not paying attention to the news. Squeaky wheels do - in fact - get the grease.

If we want our lives back we are apparently going to have to take them back, with decency and respect, but with all due haste and insistence.

Cases in Georgia per the Georgia Department of Public Health as of 3pm 08 AUG 2020 - a 40% drop in just over 2 weeks:

C9u5V0T.jpg

excellent post. A lot of us from the beginning have been looking at the data from overseas and not just what has been reported here. A lot of people saw beyond the “medical espert’s” agenda and ever changing recommendations. And phony modelers vying for TV coverage . The media were all too happy to display them front and center because the doomsday prophesy only serves to instill panic and hysteria among the people.

meanwhile and even greater injustice has been executed against the American citizenry, an all out assault of our God-given rights! And for a large part, the citizenry cowered , as you said and bent over and took it. Nobody took notice of the hypocrisy or the void of logic. Everyone forgot their precious rights and, hid under the covers and begged for protection from a flu-like agent.

instead of acting as a free citizenry, standing up and demanding proof from govt officials, everyone just screamed Pandeeeeeeeemic and ran for the hills. So few cares before because it was affecting nothing they cared about but when you don’t DEFEnD you rights, it eventually comes back to taking something you DO care about. So now, bye bye football season.

Reactions: LoyDAWG
To be fair, both political parties are a joke.

To be even more fair, I agree with you. I think the GOP wants to do what is right for our country but is terrified of the media.

The Democrats want to do what's best for their party and they feel that they have the media on their side and that is a fact.

Reactions: oldmandawg
was so damn critical and why I kept posting it. The ignorance of what is really happening with this disease has brought us to this point... and if @jasonsDawg and @athensdawg88 are hearing right the season is in peril.

You need to take this chart below and shove it up the virtual hind parts of everyone you know who matters in this state. COVID-19 is receding in Georgia, just like it is in Arizona and other places. A Nobel prize winner at Stanford says it is not coming back. Scientists around the world are backing him up more every day.

Perhaps we only end up with a season played within the SEC but at least we can show the rest of the country how to live life.

Shit happens folks. Tough things come up. We can cower in a corner, or we can deal with it like smart, tough adults. I been to some shitty corners of this world, and I never found once where backing up, or hiding from facts, ever worked.

And if you are ignoring the facts of who this disease threatens and who is does not at this point you are a lost cause. Continue sheltering in place.

In the meantime somebody has to *lead*. Lots of you reading this board matter in this state (and beyond it). Stand up and be counted. If we think hell raised across an entire region will not matter, we are not paying attention to the news. Squeaky wheels do - in fact - get the grease.

If we want our lives back we are apparently going to have to take them back, with decency and respect, but with all due haste and insistence.

Cases in Georgia per the Georgia Department of Public Health as of 3pm 08 AUG 2020 - a 40% drop in just over 2 weeks:

C9u5V0T.jpg
In the chart there seems to be a pattern of 7-day clusters with 5 high-case days either followed or preceded by two low-case days. It looks fairly consistent to me throughout the chart. Does that have something to do with weekend reporting?

Reactions: redclayhound
In the chart there seems to be a pattern of 7-day clusters with 5 high-case days either followed or preceded by two low-case days. It looks fairly consistent to me throughout the chart. Does that have something to do with weekend reporting?

Yes, it does, which is why it is important to use seven day rolling averages, which cuts out any day-of-the-week biases, when identifying trends.

The dots are actually the data received to date. The two week window is there to emphasize that within that window the data is incomplete. A death is recorded when the death certificate is received by the DPH. Evan though a death is received, say, August 8, the DPH backloads the death to its actual date of death.

Same with new cases. When a positive test result is received by the DPH, the case is backloaded to the actual date of either the date the person first had symptoms, or the date the test sample is taken, whichever is earlier.

Hospitalization numbers tend to be more real time since they are reported daily by the hospitals to GEMA.

C9u5V0T.jpg
So masks are working?

The dots are actually the data received to date. The two week window is there to emphasize that within that window the data is incomplete. A death is recorded when the death certificate is received by the DPH. Evan though a death is received, say, August 8, the DPH backloads the death to its actual date of death.

Same with new cases. When a positive test result is received by the DPH, the case is backloaded to the actual date of either the date the person first had symptoms, or the date the test sample is taken, whichever is earlier.

Hospitalization numbers tend to be more real time since they are reported daily by the hospitals to GEMA.
Thank you for all that.

I would highly recommend going to COVID-Georgia.com

The person who runs this website and corresponding Facebook does a fantastic job of explaining the data that is out there in a non-agenda-driven way.
Thank you, I will. If you don't mind, one more: So, on a cumulative case chart, the best that can happen is for the trend line to totally flatten, which would mean no new cases? This seems obvious, but I took statistics in 1973.

Thank you, I will. If you don't mind, one more: So, on a cumulative case chart, the best that can happen is for the trend line to totally flatten, which would mean no new cases? This seems obvious, but I took statistics in 1973.

In a perfect world, yes.

And if you took stats in 1973, we could have been in the same class.

I started then too. But no, I don’t recall the professor. Best I can remember, it was sorta a long-haired TA, but that may have been another class.
Funny, I can picture the textbook, but not the class or instructor. Nor the building, whether it was in Brooks Hall or the math building. I guess I hated the textbook enough to remember it.

In June I walked into my barber shop for my monthly haircut. The barber is an old friend from high school, we played football together, and I've enjoyed his friendship because he is a fellow Georgia fan and I look forward to our discussions.

On this particular day, my friend the barber told me that I must wear a mask while he cuts my hair or I would have to leave the shop. I told him there were no mandates requiring me to wear the mask, plus I have a heart condition which requires a pacemaker and I do not feel comfortable covering my face and possibly restricting my oxygen flow.

This decision should be left up to me, correct? In accordance with my own personal risk assessment and what I feel is best for me, correct?

He didn't feel that way, so after 35 years I told him what I thought about his business practices and I found someone who was willing to do business with me.

I fail to see how he could do a good job without his customers removing their mask at least briefly. How is he supposed to get it right with ties or elastic around the head or ears?

Dude had every right to require it and run his business his way and you had every right to walk.

Reactions: celticdawg
I fail to see how he could do a good job without his customers removing their mask at least briefly. How is he supposed to get it right with ties or elastic around the head or ears?

Dude had every right to require it and run his business his way and you had every right to walk.

Yes, he does have a right to run his business anyway he wants. He could require his customers to wear clown makeup and red rubber noses if he desires.

Even though you have the right to do something, doesn't always make it the right thing to do. When I gave him my reasons why I would not wear the mask, he asked me if I could wear it anyway , even if I had to pull it down below my nose and wear it loosely as possible. That told me everything I needed to know about his motivations and I had no qualms whatsoever taking my business elsewhere.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
Common sense has gone out the window. Where is the research that shows that a student athlete is safer and more protected from a respiratory virus by not participating in their sport? Who thinks college kids are really going to social distance - sports or no sports? I would postulate they would probably be safer practicing and playing with their team because there is more of a controlled environment - and playing against athletes that are in a similarly controlled environment. They’re staying in shape, have team physicians/trainers and testing readily available, they’re mixing with the same individuals on a daily basis, and are likely more closely supervised. And we all know idle hands are the devil’s workshop, especially in college.

Common sense has gone out the window. Where is the research that shows that a student athlete is safer and more protected from a respiratory virus by not participating in their sport? Who thinks college kids are really going to social distance - sports or no sports? I would postulate they would probably be safer practicing and playing with their team because there is more of a controlled environment - and playing against athletes that are in a similarly controlled environment. They’re staying in shape, have team physicians/trainers and testing readily available, they’re mixing with the same individuals on a daily basis, and are likely more closely supervised. And we all know idle hands are the devil’s workshop, especially in college.

When younger healthier people get infected it's a good thing. When you have low risk groups that get infected they become immune and that is how you break up the pathways to the riskier older sicker people, who are the ones we should have been targeting for protection in the first place. That's herd immunity. There's nothing wrong with low-risk people getting the virus as long as you are protecting high-risk people.

For the record, the general consensus overall death rate is 0.3%. Thats for the overall population.

As I said earlier, the specific group of 18-22 year old college athletes might be the lowest possible risk demographic possible. Heat exhaustion, driving, etc are far more risky to these players.

Reactions: oldmandawg
Welcome to the world of the snowflake. They drive every day and don’t realize auto accidents are the number 1 killer of healthy adults every year. Yet they want to destroy the nation and everything it stands for over a methhead in Minnesota and a virus with an 0.5% death rate. These are not rational people, but they are putty in the hands of the national media ....
And these same snowflakes are the ones leading the charge to cancel everything, without thinking of the fallout. The only thing that matters is them cancelling. They are not considering what the fallout will be and the harm that will be done. There will be massive layoffs, furloughs, closing of businesses , and the list goes on. Nobody thinks about the results . Ugh.

The other piece to the puzzle. Forgetting that this age group is 10x more likely to die in a car accident how is society less likely to suffer if they play football? Will the fact they are playing cause more or less community spread? It is highly unlikely to me the risk is more and not less that they will contribute to more community spread. College age kids are not staying at home period. I have one about to go to UGA in a week. This age group socializes. We are all better off if they socialize together away from us older adults.

C9u5V0T.jpg
Great post man!

Reactions: athensdawg88
This pic below of the increases in Georgia cases explains the improved outlook to me. SW GA early in all this was overrun with COVID. Albany had more deaths than Atlanta; the infection rates in many counties were among the highest in the world. The rest of the state looked relatively safe by comparison. Of course there was a similar situation in New York City as they were getting pounded in comparison to FL, Tx, ect.
What has really happened? The virus is simply going to go where available hosts happen to be. As SWGA was getting hit, the rest of the state was looking good--but actually sitting vulnerably. Same with NYC vs FL, TX, ect. The virus is going to go where it can find hosts. I think the virus has moved through the population at a much higher non diagnosed and asymptomatic rate than any of us know. As the lack of available hosts decline, the counties, as you see in SW GA below, show up as looking good. Same with states as NY is looking good as well.
Project all of this out two more months. Where will we be? By then the rest of the state, and likely the whole country, will look like SW GA and NYC do now. As some are now beginning to forecast, I think we'll be on the rapid road to being done with this thing.

Exactly right. For those who simply look towards government regulation as the answer , Explain California. This virus infects some and not others.

And these same snowflakes are the ones leading the charge to cancel everything, without thinking of the fallout. The only thing that matters is them cancelling. They are not considering what the fallout will be and the harm that will be done. There will be massive layoffs, furloughs, closing of businesses , and the list goes on. Nobody thinks about the results . Ugh.

They are weak-minded, brainwashed and very easy for sinister forces to control. Lambs to the slaughter!

Reactions: litedawg1968
I’m old enough to remember when we were simply told to flatten the curve... Just once mind you, now we’re working on flattening it a second time. What prize do we get for that?
I am old enough to remember going to 5th grade classes, without a mask or social distancing, in the midst of the '57 pandemic which spread its fatalities over larger age groups. I also remember attending packed basketball arena games during the '68-'69 pandemic. But that was before 24/7 CNN and the Big Pharma sponsored nightly news on CBSABCNBC. Since those times we have become a nation of lemmings running for the cliff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawglitter
Yes

cases are down from levels that were >3x our peak in April. Now we are only >2x as high as April.

At the end of the day you’re asking 200 college students to risk their health for our entertainment for every single game. It’s not crazy to postpone that in light of other limits put upon society.

But maybe they can spread inflections so we can hasten herd immunity given the danger of vaccines

Not only do players always risk their health to play a dangerous game, The players get to choose to play or not. No one is being forced, and it’s already been postponed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT