ADVERTISEMENT

On Downs ....

A Tale of Two Dawgs

Importer/Exporter of Natties
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2002
1. Downs is really good. It would have been great to have him.

2. We aren't exactly left with a bunch of scrubs in the secondary, including at safety.

3. Getting into the "what happened" nonsense is a fool's errand. We got played, to what extent it was intentional or last minute doesn't really matter. We were told one thing, he did another. This isn't the first or last time that will happen in a heated recruiting battle.

4. Staff and most insiders provided the most accurate info available at the time. Folks remained skeptical . . . because this stuff happens in recruiting until something is actually official. The laws of human nature aren't going to be suspended for any particular player. It's good for all to remember that fact--insiders and those following them.

5. If you'd told me we wouldn't have to play Downs in the regular season, I'd have taken that deal last week.

6. I have two lingering concerns for us to complete our roster: more help to stop the run, and a pure separator at WR. Safety isn't on the list. We weren't after Downs to complete the roster, we were after him because he's just elite. But now we need to focus on either developing what we have, filling the holes from the portal, or being so damn good in every other area that our strengths mask any perceived deficiencies.

7. On to Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News