ADVERTISEMENT

On the Jed May Article about Bell

Moise

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I have no hair, but if I did, I'd be pulling it out. During the first part of the season the logic behind not playing Bell has been that he really wants to be a fulltime receiver. But the quote in the article states that Bell has bought into the idea of being a Deebo Samuel type player and he is good with playing running back. He does admit that he's making some mistakes in practice, but then states that he is still splitting reps roughly 50-50 between receiver and running back. That is the frustrating part for multiple reasons-

1.) He already knows the receiver position, he's played it for over a year, he won't forget how to do it. In practice 100% of his reps should be at running back 2.) We have a ton of depth at receiver and frankly he's in the middle of the pack when it comes to playing time. In other words, he's going to get a limited number of targets at receiver. 3.) We have a desperate need for a second running back to go along with Edwards. Milton is good for about 15 minutes and can't be depended on, and nobody else on the current roster seems to have Bell's ability. 4.) He brings a different style than the rest of the rb's. Edwards isn't that big, but he is tough and runs well between the tackles. He has a knack for stopping and starting and weaving his way through the defense. Bell is a one cut slasher/ speedster that can hit it up through a hole or bounce it out and get to the edge. They compliment each other.

Maybe Edwards stays healthy this year and that ends up being enough at running back, but it seems like we should expedite Bell's transition to running back, starting yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News