ADVERTISEMENT

***WAR ROOM*** On Zachary Evans and more...

Jake Reuse

Pillar of the DawgVent
Sep 26, 2013
Remember, this one is for our subscribers only. Please don't take it elsewhere.

- On Zachary Evans - I mentioned this on the podcast the other day, but I’m not completely closing the door on the possibility the nation's No. 1 running back ends up in Athens. Yes, I realize that’s a bit vague, but that’s how everything has been around his recruitment since, well, September. People I’ve spoken to say that Florida feels good about its chances to land him, Texas A&M feels good too, and Ole Miss feels likewise.

Basically, I think we’re back to where we were in December, but with the caveat that Georgia landed Evans' signature once and then passed on him.

There are two major rumors circulating which contradict each other. The first one, from someone in the Evans camp, is that he is contemplating a visit Athens next weekend and canceling his UF visit this week. What we have heard from some on the Georgia side is that the Bulldogs have moved on. What’s important to note about Evans, too, is that he has a number of people in his corner who are speaking on his behalf, from trainers to family members. Basically, anyone who’s not Zach has a thought on where Zach is going. From the national end, it’s as I said, a lot of conflicting information from each of the top contenders.

My take? I believe Evans has told a lot of schools what they want to hear. So too have those who are helping to guide his recruitment. That would explain why so many schools have feel confident now and confident in the past.

Does Georgia have an edge given that original signing, or did that drama that unfolded afterward hurt its chances? I have no clue on that to be totally honest. I lean toward the latter, but this is one where no one can be certain of anything. My suggestion? Wait to see who puts out a graphic on Twitter welcoming him to the team. Then, and likely only then, will we know something officially. - JR

- The saga with five-star running back Zachary Evans continues. I mentioned on the board a week or two ago that Georgia has remained in steady contact with the Texas back. There have been some rumors out that the Bulldogs did an in-home visit earlier this week. We have not confirmed that just yet but we do know that communication continues with the No. 1 nationally rated back. I would be lying if I told you I knew how this was going to play out because I do not. I do believe Georgia is monitoring some things with Evans and it seems clear as of now that he is likely headed out of state. Florida and Tennessee are both trying to get him on campus. Alabama and LSU are not options right now. Ole Miss is involved a little. This will be interesting as it plays itself out (if that even happens). I don't even expect this one to be over with on 2-5-2020. - TS

- The Brock Vandagriff commitment to Georgia has some top targets in the class of 2021 talking. One prospect that I am told it helps with is Amarius Mims, who could be the five-star quarterback's future left tackle. Landing a highly touted quarterback this early in the process will make this next class go a lot smoother. With the addition of Vandagriff along with Todd Monken, I believe it will draw some highly touted wide receivers. - TS

It was interesting to see Georgia offer North Murray’s Ladd McConkey the other night. This is one that I think puts Georgia in a strong position. Tennessee is hosting him this weekend, and the Vols were his 'dream school’ growing up. Still, UGA is getting the final official visit ahead of signing day, and he’s willing to play where he feels he can be developed the best. Right now, I’m penciling him into this class. - JR

Can Georgia really continue pulling some of the best from the west? One name I’ll be watching closely in that regard is recent offeree Quintin Somerville, a teammate of Kelee Ringo’s at Saguaro. Somerville, who said he’d been dreaming of the day he’d be offered by Georgia since he was 6 years old, grew up watching AJ Green and told me he’s always thought about playing between the hedges. Look for him to get to campus this spring. I expect Georgia can go the distance here. - JR

Speaking of the Class of 2021, I caught up with Smael Mondon after his trip to UGA's campus. The guy is extremely tight-lipped when giving an interview, but I like Georgia’s positioning for now. I wouldn’t call the Bulldogs his leader, but I do believe they’re in the thick of consideration. Alabama and Auburn will be the main threats here, and he’s not close to cutting his options down. - JR

Who is the one guy I really like Georgia's chances to land? That would be the nation's number’s No. 1 inside linebacker, Barrett Carter. I'm not sure when he’s going to be pulling the trigger, but I’m close to putting in a FutureCast on him. The Dawgs are prioritizing him heavily, and the close-to-home factor is a major pull. - JR

How about one guy no longer on the radar? It sounds like Georgia has shown little interest in hosting Javon Baker since his return from San Antonio. He’d mentioned the possibility of taking an official visit to Athens, but when last I spoke to him, he said Georgia hasn’t gotten back to him about setting it up. Looks like it’ll be McConkey if they want another wideout. - JR

Did you miss our note on Charles Bell VI last night? This is one that could move quickly, so make sure to tune in:
https://uga.forums.rivals.com/threads/heres-a-new-name-for-you.426149/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News