ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion of Burton, What it says about Modern College Football

HuntTheJones

Uniform Connoisseur
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2021
Ocean Springs, MS
twitter.com
Seen some threads discussing Burton's legacy (if you will) at UGA and how it impacts his treatment moving forward as far as celebrating this championship team in the future. Here's my opinion (please refrain from the insults when you read lol).

College Football has changed, and Kirby is on board. What will actually happen is Kirby will do it (invite him back, speak highly of his contributions) because Kirby doesn’t burn bridges and is always thinking about how this could influence recruiting, and yes, it can in the NIL age.

Kirby doesn’t care in the way fans do (maybe part of him does, but a bigger part doesn’t because of recruiting). If he can show some kid out there he will support one of his players, even if they leave but contribute, and that could get him a super contributor for another title run in the future. They will know they can come to Georgia to be put on the big stage, and if they feel what is best for them is to do what Jermaine did and go, they will still be supported after. That will land a recruit in the modern era. Do I agree with it personally, not at all. But that's where we are. If their performance at UGA (or anywhere else) presents an opportunity to advance further individually and for their family elsewhere, they will go. Kirby won’t burn that bridge because he knows that, and knows future kids of the exact same mindset are watching, too. Kirby already showed how he will handle it with Justin Fields leaving, saying Fields would always be a Dawg… even after Fields attorney made all kinds of claims about UGA.

We as fans just need to realize what the good coaches have already realized in this modern NIL era. That “We Before Me” mantra is dead in College Football. It's “Me Before We, but if We helps Me then I’ll do it” now. Get on board with it, or never win big again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News