ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Bowl musings: Did Norvell think he was on his way out?

donalsonville_dawg

Bird Law Expert
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So follow me here:

We know from @BustinSkyDawg ‘s post on December 12 that Saban was hanging it up. In Chris Lowe’s piece this week he said that Saban told the AD at the end of 2022 that his end was coming soon (https://www.espn.com/college-footba...labama-moved-nick-saban-kalen-deboer-49-hours), but honestly it *seems* like people knew - especially Kirby SECCG weekend. I think Kirby knowing Saban was leaving may explain the really odd interview with Laura Rutledge and Saban Friday before the game where Kirby looked like he was having a no-anesthesia colonoscopy on live TV and Saban was completely loose.

Per the Lowe article, the leading candidates were Norvell and DeBoer.

So here’s my conspiracy theory: in December, Norvell knew (a) Saban was leaving and (b) he was a top candidate for the job (Sexton is Norvell’s agent). That might explain the lack of fire and desire to keep the FSU team together for the bowl and also just the general malaise that team had on the day of the game itself. Personally I’ve interviewed for other jobs I wanted, thought I would get, and didn’t get and during that time, it’s sort of human nature that your current job suffers.

Anyway, that’s my random Friday musing. Enjoy your weekend and Go Dawgs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News