ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 News ...

LawDawg86

GATA
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2015
If you've ever read my posts you know I love CFP expansion, recruiting numbers and analysis, and then conference expansion. Yes, I am weird. So are you.

So, the PAC's last gasping breath may have been today. I'll keep this updated. Basically, they can't get what is called a linear broadcaster to give them a deal - that's ESPN and Fox. So, they are stuck with an offer from Apple+ to carry the games. To make it worse, they don't get any numbers. It's all contingent on how many subscribers they can add. And we aren't talking just adding Apple+ ... we are talking about an add-on to Apple+. So people will have to pay $8 a month for Apple+ and then an add-on charge for the PAC.

Why is this so bad?
- No set numbers - they could get way less, and maybe more than the B12. But, no one knows and won't until the season plays out. How would you like to be an AD and budget with that uncertainty?
- Lack of exposure for the team, players, and recruits. Who wants people to have to pay monthly to watch them play?
- Production quality will suck at the beginning ... no name announcer will go to Apple+ to cover the PAC. They have to buy equipment and staff to cover all the games. You think Beth Mowins is bad, how about a whole network of Mowins (FWIW, I am not a Mowins hater, just using as an example)

My prediction as to what is going to happen - I'm never in doubt, often wrong:
- Arizona to the B12 later today.
- The remaining corner schools to the B12 - Utah and ASU.
- the B1G can now grab UO and UW, maybe Stanford and Cal - they are no longer the sole reason for the PAC's demise.
- OreSt and WashSt are totally screwed. @BaronVonHeinsteidel did a great rundown of what might be left if this were to happen: https://uga.forums.rivals.com/threads/i-dont-think-the-pac-12-will-disband.607521/#post-7191090
- Chaos as the schools Baron lists try to get in a totally reconstituted PAC.

+

Don't know if this is BS or not, but that structure sounds about right:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News