ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Pickup truck size

Palmettodawg2

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
I have a 2009 F150 (250k miles) and will start looking for a new vehicle soon.
I’ve only had this truck and am wondering about a midsize pickup as a next one. Something the size of a Tacoma. Anybody made that switch to a smaller truck and regret it, or are they more fun to drive, etc?
TIA.

I’ve only had this truck and am wondering about a midsize pickup as a next one. Something the size of a Tacoma. Anybody made that switch to a smaller truck and regret it, or are they more fun to drive, etc?
TIA.

Maybe just me but I’d never consider anything smaller than a F150 or 1500 truck size

It depends on your need.
Absolutely right. Why do you need a truck? To be a 'truck guy' and give your balls a tug? Or do you NEED a truck for what you do lifestyle-wise?

Will it fit in a standard sized garage? Then Tacoma/Ranger etc might be an option. But if you're trying to haul larger items, gotta have the big boy with full-sized bed. And if you're towing anything, you'll need an Ford F-250 or 2500 if it's Chevy or Dodge. Or you'll be in a transmission shop in just a couple of years.

Maybe just me but I’d never consider anything smaller than a F150 or 1500 truck size
I have had that mindset as well, which is why I asked the question. Obviously, some like the mid size options. Maybe they can’t afford full size, or maybe there are benefits to mid size in addition to lower cost and fuel economy.

I always had full sized Tundras, etc. I love the Tacoma but I got a Gladiator and it has been perfect. With an ARE top with side windows that open vertically it is perfect for me to actually use the bed as I'm oldie. Good towing cap for its size I take it camping with my 16 foot teardrop NuCamp 320 Boondock out in the wild lands in the west.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
The smaller trucks don’t get thst much better gas mileage. But I’d stay away from ford, aluminum body is hard to fix, and plastic undersides if you go off-road seems unwise

Reactions: Palmettodawg2
The smaller trucks don’t get thst much better gas mileage. But I’d stay away from ford, aluminum body is hard to fix, and plastic undersides if you go off-road seems unwise
I switched to a Tacoma and it was absolutely the best financial situation I’ve ever had with a vehicle, but I still went back to a RAM 1500. Small gets old fast.

Good point. The F150 does get used a lot for off road adventures, nothing treacherous just hunting and such.

Reactions: shonuff253
TIA.
I bought a new Tacoma in 2021 and while it looked really cool, the interior was cramped and it was a turd with regards to takeoff.

Traded it in for a 2021 Tundra after 18 months and it’s one of the best decisions I ever made.

Haven’t had the small before. I drive a ‘21 Silverado but it’s mainly to drive my kids around with the occasional Home Depot/Lowe’s haul when needed.

If you go smaller, you’ll trade it off inside of a year. You’ll miss the roominess of your old F-150.

Love my F-150 so I’m biased. But I’ve driven Rangers, Tacomas, etc. Always come back to the F-150

I really enjoyed my 2020 Tacoma until I put a kids seat in the back, caused it to be cramped up front. We immediately knew we needed to upsize so we went with a 2024 Tundra TRD Pro. Love it. Much faster and way more room. However, it definitely doesn’t park as easy so if I drove into the city more it would be annoying.

Had a 09 F150 and got rid of it after 350-370k miles. I would hang onto it a little longer. Bought a 2020 explorer and it rides great. It’s the same engine as the Bronco and about the height of a ranger. I don’t think I’ll go back to a trunk unless we move to the country but explorers are troublesome getting a deer out of the woods

I have had that mindset as well, which is why I asked the question. Obviously, some like the mid size options. Maybe they can’t afford full size, or maybe there are benefits to mid size in addition to lower cost and fuel economy.
I was in the market for a truck earlier this year when my 2006 Dodge Ram was starting to have more & more issues. I considered the smaller size, but when it came down to it, there wasn’t enough of a price or fuel economy savings to convince me to get the smaller size.

Tried Tacoma after several 1500’s. Lasted a few months. GMC 1500 at4x is my favorite

I switched to a Tacoma and it was absolutely the best financial situation I’ve ever had with a vehicle, but I still went back to a RAM 1500. Small gets old fast.
Yeah baby. If you're a full-sized man then those mid-size trucks MIGHT work for you if you're young and limber enough to unwind in that front cab. Get a few more years logged and that leg room is a lot more important. Long trips (6+ hours) I HAVE to be able to straighten my legs en route. Or I do the oulde thing: stopping and stretching along the way. My wife has a Buick Envision, which is only okay travelling because of leg room. I have an F-150 with big mondo shocks and struts, so that is never a problem. Buick rides great; my Fawd rides better.

I would suggest that if you're under 50 and in relatively decent shape that consideration is secondary to capacity and pulling. And as someone else mentioned in this thread, the gas mileage isn't really that much better. While the larger tank(s) on a full size makes it moot.

TIA.

Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are all junk (trigger warning).... buy a Toyota .. It'll last you forever.

TIA.
@Palmettodawg2 I bought a GMC Canyon three years ago. It was loaded with all the goodies and a really nice truck. I could park it anywhere and it got reasonably good gas mileage. Three months ago I traded for a Ford F150 with the tow package to pull a travel trailer we recently purchased. Let's just say I will not go back even if we sell the travel trailer. The ride between a full sized truck and mid size is not comparable. Also, it's difficult to get all the bells and whistles on the mid sized trucks that you get with the full size. The argument of parking is over rated in my opinion. Yes, you have to choose your spaces a little more carefully. No, it's just not that hard to park a full size truck.
Surprizingly, the gas milage difference was negligible as well. Well less than 5 miles per gallon and approximately 2.5 miles per gallon (that's when not towing).
Good luck in your search. But I don't think you will regret staying with a full size pickup whether you really need it or not.
JC

TIA.
I switched a few years ago to a smaller truck. I really didn't like it. I went back and I have been much happier. I do agree though that so much depends upon what you do with the truck, where you drive it, how big of a guy you are, and what/who you haul with it.

@Palmettodawg2 I bought a GMC Canyon three years ago. It was loaded with all the goodies and a really nice truck. I could park it anywhere and it got reasonably good gas mileage. Three months ago I traded for a Ford F150 with the tow package to pull a travel trailer we recently purchased. Let's just say I will not go back even if we sell the travel trailer. The ride between a full sized truck and mid size is not comparable. Also, it's difficult to get all the bells and whistles on the mid sized trucks that you get with the full size. The argument of parking is over rated in my opinion. Yes, you have to choose your spaces a little more carefully. No, it's just not that hard to park a full size truck.
Surprizingly, the gas milage difference was negligible as well. Well less than 5 miles per gallon and approximately 2.5 miles per gallon (that's when not towing).
Good luck in your search. But I don't think you will regret staying with a full size pickup whether you really need it or not.
JC
This actually is very helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT