ADVERTISEMENT

Postgame Analysis: Game 16 - Tennessee

504noladawg

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2017
You have to walk before you can run. Today, we truly figured out we can play with anyone. But today, we also figured out we have some growing up to do. It's a part of the process. Hopefully we use this as a growth marker.

What went really well:
1. We shot lights out from deep. We hit 14 threes (out of 33 attempts, for 42.4%).
2. We held on to the ball pretty well with only 9 turnovers, although a couple of costly ones late.

What did not go well:
1. At rim. We were just brutal at the rim. 1 point for Tchewa. 2 points for Deloach. Many return to senders on Hill's drives and shots. **However, Demary did almost kill a man on one of the best dunks in a hot minute.
2. We couldn't stop the drive late. In the last 9 minutes and 15 seconds of the game, we gave up 29 points. They only hit two threes in that time period. The other 23 points came from them just taking it right at us. They scored 11 off free throws during that time period, with a few questionable calls by the refs. Hindsight is 20/20 but we probably should have put Demary on Tennessee's Knecht, who absolutely wrecked us to the tune of 36 points.

What we have to figure out:
1. We were lacking a guard to be able to come get the ball and go right past the defender, late in the game. They were pressuring us all the way up to half court with no consequences. We either have to come up with some kind of screen action and pass through it or one of our guards needs to assert themselves and take over and make plays in that spot. Their pressure killed us late.

Bad Habits:
What am I talking about when I say we need to grow up? We celebrate too early. It's not a today thing either. It's happened over and over in Kentucky games in the past 20 years. We go up by 5 or 6 against a big time opponent and we absolutely start acting like the final horn has sounded. It hasn't. I don't mind getting fired up after big plays, but we need to keep the same level headedness and intensity as if we were down 5.

Big Takeaway:
We have the best shooters on the team since Ezra Williams and Jarvis Hayes. Jabri and Blue put on an absolute show today. Hill and Noah did it the last two games. Demary's three point percentage is quietly getting respectable. We are absolutely going to be committed to defense as well, even though that faltered today. This is a style of basketball that is EASILY saleable to recruits and fans. I don't know how far this team can go and what all it can do, but it's got a chance. It's fun to watch. We have some hope for the future. Huge one on the road Tuesday against South Carolina, we can do this! Go Dawgs!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News