ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Pre-Diabetes Advice

Over the past four years I have lost 145 lbs. The thing that helped me the most was looking at like you would a bank account. Each time you eat healthy, hit your water goal, exercise etc. you are depositing in the account and each time you deviate from the plan you are withdrawing. You just don't want to be overdrawn by the end of the week. This helped me get over the mental hurdle of beating myself up if I fell off the wagon. There is no one size fits all diet. Almost everything works as long as your consistent. Stay consistent and the results will come over time.

I have the same issue. Been dealing with an elevated a1c for years and have had a rough time eating right. So I
just recently started doing some intermittent fasting. I’m hoping it’s going to make a difference. My Dr. is threatening me with metformin.

I have the same issue. Been dealing with an elevated a1c for years and have had a rough time eating right. So I
just recently started doing some intermittent fasting. I’m hoping it’s going to make a difference. My Dr. is threatening me with metformin.

Does your A1C and fasting glucose match? That's what has mine thrown for a loop (and they aren't somewhat off, mine are WAY off - like my A1C should correlate to a fasting glucose of almost 200 but my fasting glucose was in the 120's).

What you guys thoughts on metformin? I went on it about 4 months ago when my A1C went to 7.3. I finally got myself on KETO and have lost 10 pounds in the last several weeks. I’m just interested in knowing others experiences with Metformin.

What you guys thoughts on metformin? I went on it about 4 months ago when my A1C went to 7.3. I finally got myself on KETO and have lost 10 pounds in the last several weeks. I’m just interested in knowing others experiences with Metformin.

My doc has a goal of keeping me off meds, so she's waiting to re-run my blood work with three months of balanced eating, weight loss, and exercise. I will probably beg for another three months regardless as I really don't want to be on any sorts of maintenance meds.

Reactions: DistillerDawg
That's the thing - it doesn't match up at all with my fasting glucose which has my Doctor confused. It pulled at an 8.8 on the blood work that LabCorp did and a week later it was an 8.4 on the in-house test they ran (doc was for sure positive that they had screwed up my A1C test somehow so she wanted it ran again). Based on my fasting glucose levels my A1C should have been around 5.8-6.2, not 8.8.

I suggest going to an endocrinologist. Mine does my A1C with a finger prick in the office.

My doctor diagnosed me a diabetic about 7 years ago.. though you could call me prediabetic I guess...former amateur triathlete.. still train a few hrs a week.... weight not a problem.. but I could /would eat a box of krispy kreme donuts if I felt like it.. My A1C last physical( I go to my doctor's every quarter to monitor it) was 6.4..on the edge of diabetes..124 or so is what I average with my blood glucose....I should monitor myself (prick my finger..test my blood) more than I do.. but I dont..
My Mom.. both uncles..and my sister are / were diabetic. .for me it's a genetic thing..
I take a low dose of metformin daily. ....when I watch what I eat and exercise ( run) I average around 100..I switched from drinking two gallons of milk a week to two gallons of Silk Almond milk ( no sugar)..made a difference.. and I like how it tastes.. I'm 69 yrs.old btw..
IMO exercising is just as important as eatin right.. ( no sugar..no carbs)..but I ain't to good about eatin right..!! good luck..!!

Understand. I was really looking for some success stories and diet advice. My weight has been a lifetime struggle for me and I’m committed to making this work, so it’s a sore spot for me to be honest. I know there are no “tricks” per se but I was just looking for advice from those that might have been in the same situation.
Hey buddy, I am in the same boat with you. Struggled with my weight all my life to a certain extent, I love my junk food.

Hit my all-time high of 300 on January 1 2020 when my son was about 7 months old. I have made some moderate changes but it is true that there is no magic formula. I dropped about 25-30 pounds last year and am even more motivated this year to get healthy. I got my peloton in January of this year and have been burning that thing up. Have dropped about 12 more pounds but can tell a big difference in how my weight is Distributed.

I am trying to look at it from a Christian perspective. I am a teacher at my church and it is convicting when I think about the fact that overeating and being obese is 100% not treating my body like a temple. How can I teach moderation if I can’t put it into practice in my own life? If you are a Christian, and I hope you are, I hope this motivates you to think from that perspective.

We are in this together. My peloton name is Holy_Roller_UGA if you want an accountability partner!!

Last edited:
Fellow Venters - after almost a year of eating like garbage and not working out and putting on about 20lbs, my annual bloodwork came back with pre-diabetes/borderline diabetes markers. My doctor was super positive and really believes I can get this under control with diet and exercise and that’s the attitude I’m taking as well but I was hoping y’all might have some advice on diet etc, and I’d love to hear anyone’s success story if they’re out there.

I got back on Weight Watchers and I’ve already dropped almost 15lbs, my fasting glucose is trending the right way (I check it about every three days) and I’m getting 40-50 minutes of exercise at least four days a week via my Peloton bike and additional core/strength workouts so I think I’m on the right track. Just looking for any other tips or tricks that might be out there.
Mediterranean diet and cut out the sweets , soft drinks and coffee with sugar ...
More chicken and fish and brown rice and less breads and white rice ...

doctor i had several years ago took me off it ,said it was destroying my kidneys put me on glibizide new doctor cut dosage in half put also on ozempic a once a week shot i give myself. seems to be doing a great job .also eat lots of orka.

Fellow Venters - after almost a year of eating like garbage and not working out and putting on about 20lbs, my annual bloodwork came back with pre-diabetes/borderline diabetes markers. My doctor was super positive and really believes I can get this under control with diet and exercise and that’s the attitude I’m taking as well but I was hoping y’all might have some advice on diet etc, and I’d love to hear anyone’s success story if they’re out there.

I got back on Weight Watchers and I’ve already dropped almost 15lbs, my fasting glucose is trending the right way (I check it about every three days) and I’m getting 40-50 minutes of exercise at least four days a week via my Peloton bike and additional core/strength workouts so I think I’m on the right track. Just looking for any other tips or tricks that might be out there.
Crash diet the way to go. Lose at least 100 lbs.

Get some dumbazz chick with no clue how to drive to pull out in front of you on the interstate at around 70 mph. Resulting collision should cause multiple facial injuries, loss of teeth, couple of weeks in the hospital, and months of recovery.

At the end of that period there should be a brand spanking new you! Many pounds lighter, different clothes..... presto chango.

I did this little diet about 45 years ago. It really works. Hated the free helicopter ride, though.

Understand. I was really looking for some success stories and diet advice. My weight has been a lifetime struggle for me and I’m committed to making this work, so it’s a sore spot for me to be honest. I know there are no “tricks” per se but I was just looking for advice from those that might have been in the same situation.
Don’t eat or drink sugar. Stay away from carbs. My wife has pretty much reversed her diabetes with that. And some fasting.

Reactions: WoofNDawg
Hey buddy, I am in the same boat with you. Struggled with my weight all my life to a certain extent, I love my junk food.

Hit my all-time high of 300 on January 1 2020 when my son was about 7 months old. I have made some moderate changes but it is true that there is no magic formula. I dropped about 25-30 pounds last year and am even more motivated this year to get healthy. I got my peloton in January of this year and have been burning that thing up. Have dropped about 12 more pounds but can tell a big difference in how my weight is Distributed.

I am trying to look at it from a Christian perspective. I am a teacher at my church and it is convicting when I think about the fact that overeating and being obese is 100% not treating my body like a temple. How can I teach moderation if I can’t put it into practice in my own life? If you are a Christian, and I hope you are, I hope this motivates you to think from that perspective.

We are in this together. My peloton name is Holy_Roller_UGA if you want an accountability partner!!
We all have a different level of struggle and for some it is hardly a struggle at all to stay trim and fit, while for others it is just tougher. Ultimately, when and if our “why” gets the right size, we can make the needed changes. Mine got that way when I found out I may have prostate cancer (turned out I did). Reading Mackey’s Whole Foods Diet changed me. Extremely well written and worth a read even for died in the wool carnivores. Here’s to your why getting big enough.

Reactions: DerkDawg1027
I was in the same boat, started watching Dr berg and Dr Fung on YT, dropped 50lbs in 6 months through keto and IF, that was with no working out! Carbs are the issue not how much you eat. Everything we have been taught about nutrition and what we should be eating is total bullshit and almost criminal! No carbs, limit the fruit, eat healthy fats and protein, you know like your great grandparents did when diabetes wasn't a thing

Ditto. Almost exactly. Plus some other Youtubers, Books, and Documentaries along the way. In 4 mos., reversed longterm Type 2 Diabetes. My A1C now is much lower than oral medications (metform cocktails) was ever able to get it. After 20 years, give or take, or being a diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I am no longer. Dropped 50lbs in a little more than 4 mos. with Keto (or low carb if you can’t handle the label) and Intermittent Fasting. The IF piece is huge in this. “Three Square Meals” a day is a marketing ploy paid for by the food lobby!

Join some of the Facebook sites, watch the Youtube videos, learn what’s happening, and don’t give in. On difficult days, watch and read more. Huge community out there dealing with and overcoming what doctors once said was irreversible.

Last edited:
Appreciate the advice. Sorry that some of us have struggled during the pandemic and having a child in the last year, which has made keeping ourselves healthy more of a challenge.

Came here hoping for some success stories and actual advice - no need to be assholes.
They weren’t trying to be assholes. It really is this easy.

My weight has yoyo’d over the years between 200 (abs showing) and 245 pounds. When I’m lean, everyone asks what’s the trick. I tell them I eat meat, vegetables, and exercise. It’s that simple. Everyone thinks I’m being a smart ass.

They wonder what pill or supplement I’m taking as if there is a shortcut. There isn’t. Cut down the starchy carbs, get some protein each meal, lots of fibrous vegetables, lift weights heavy, and do a little cardio.

My weight has yoyo’d over the years between 200 (abs showing) and 245 pounds. When I’m lean, everyone asks what’s the trick. I tell them I eat meat, vegetables, and exercise. It’s that simple. Everyone thinks I’m being a smart ass.

They wonder what pill or supplement I’m taking as if there is a shortcut. There isn’t. Cut down the starchy carbs, get some protein each meal, lots of fibrous vegetables, lift weights heavy, and do a little cardio.
It is really a function of calories in vs. calories burned. Paleo, low carb, Mediterranean, keto, low fat, or just plain eating less; they all work if they are reducing the number of calories you are taking in. The key is finding something sustainable. Exercise is important, but you can't do it with exercise alone. Diet is the most important component.

Reactions: Palmettodawg2

We are in this together. My Peloton name is Holy_Roller_UGA if you want an accountability partner!!

I'm PeloDawg1990 if you want to follow back! I hit my high of 248 a number of years ago and got down to 215, but I got back up to 245. I'm down back to 229 as of this morning thanks to WW and my Peloton and my wife (who has been an awesome motivator and cheerleader - it helps to have someone in your corner who is also trying to be more healthy).

I follow the Wheat Belly way of eating which is essentially no carbs, uncured meats, veggies, cheeses and nuts. I dropped 20 lbs in 3-4 months and eventually 30 lbs and stayed that way for 7 years. I stopped that lifestyle and gained all the weight back. Read the book Wheatbelly and decide for yourself. Everything Dr. Davis discusses comes to fruition.

I tell people all the time when they ask how hard it was that "it is actually pretty easy, you get healthy by actually not doing something, literally you do less and see benefits, you just DONT order 20 wings, DONT get that Coke with dinner, DONT eat breakfast"

Reactions: ChrisAtUGA
I will say for me, my ingredients for success were Dr. Berg/Fung and ACV, Green Tea and Coffee

You can 100% control PD/ T2DM with diet and exercise.

1) eat lots of vegetables with lunch and inner. Not a ‘diet’, just start eating healthy.
2) eat fruit and/ or oatmeal for breakfast.
3) do cardio 30 min. 4x / week.

that alone will drop it.
You could also add
4) don’t drink alcohol unless it’s the weekend
5) only eat fast food every other month (this will save you money too, eating your own healthy food is cheap).
6) think of unhealthy foods that you only like, not love, and never eat those. For me it’s potato chips, mayo, Ranch dressing, French fries, etc.I like those things, but if I never ate them again, I’d be okay. So I rarely do.

Keep doing what you are doing,.weight watchers it great and on days you do not do peloton go walk for an hr.

You can 100% control PD/ T2DM with diet and exercise.

1) eat lots of vegetables with lunch and inner. Not a ‘diet’, just start eating healthy.
2) eat fruit and/ or oatmeal for breakfast.
3) do cardio 30 min. 4x / week.

that alone will drop it.
You could also add
4) don’t drink alcohol unless it’s the weekend
5) only eat fast food every other month (this will save you money too, eating your own healthy food is cheap).
6) think of unhealthy foods that you only like, not love, and never eat those. For me it’s potato chips, mayo, Ranch dressing, French fries, etc.I like those things, but if I never ate them again, I’d be okay. So I rarely do.

I've pretty much cut out all alchohol unless it's a glass of white wine or a bourbon/G&T and those are not even once a week type things for me. I very rarely drink beer. I'm normally a canadian bacon/eggs type person for breakfast just to get some protein to start the day but maybe I need to adjust that as well.

I've normally get in at least 30 minutes of cardio on the bike and an additional 15-20 minutes of strength training per day four times a week so I'm hitting that goal.

I will say my mental capacity for wanting to eat healthy has drastically shifted over the past two weeks. My wife and I were planning on getting takeout last night because we were tired and didn't want to cook or eat leftovers and as I was looking at menu's for the places we were considering I told myself "none of this will be as good as getting on the scale in the morning and being <230 will feel" and we put the phones down and had our turkey burger bowls with a cole-slaw base.

I've pretty much cut out all alchohol unless it's a glass of white wine or a bourbon/G&T and those are not even once a week type things for me. I very rarely drink beer. I'm normally a canadian bacon/eggs type person for breakfast just to get some protein to start the day but maybe I need to adjust that as well.

I've normally get in at least 30 minutes of cardio on the bike and an additional 15-20 minutes of strength training per day four times a week so I'm hitting that goal.

I will say my mental capacity for wanting to eat healthy has drastically shifted over the past two weeks. My wife and I were planning on getting takeout last night because we were tired and didn't want to cook or eat leftovers and as I was looking at menu's for the places we were considering I told myself "none of this will be as good as getting on the scale in the morning and being <230 will feel" and we put the phones down and had our turkey burger bowls with a cole-slaw base.
Ask, watch the movie Forks over Knives. It will change your life.

From a friend dealing with this now:
Eats a salad every day for lunch with a light dressing of some sort. This allows more freedom at dinner as his calorie intake for the day is so low. Also does heavy cardio 6 days a week. He believes more in the calorie deficient diet than a specific diet "type".

Seems you are doing this already and having good results.

At the risk of sounding like the “one weird trick leaves <your town> doctors speechless” ads, there are a few hacks.

If you’re going to nervous eat, pick up something that won’t hurt you, like sauerkraut or raw okra

If sodas are your vice, switch to canned sparkling water

If you’re hungry and it’s not time to eat, take a shot of pickle juice (Russian Gatorade). Grillios has a naturally fermented one, and it kills my appetite.

Do something physical before you eat.

Reactions: accountingdawg2012
It’s not for everyone but look into intermittent fasting.

Works for me. I fast for 18hrs and eat for 6hrs.

The weekends are free game though.
This is what I came to post. I’ve lost nearly 70lbs over the past few years and this has worked the best for me. I find that fasting isn’t difficult at all as long as I stick to it. After a week or two it will seem normal. If you eat at all during the fast period though you will then suddenly feel hungry and not make it to your next meal. Still eat healthy during the “eating period” but your stomach will shrink and you will be fuller faster. And you will begin to realize just how much less food you need in the first place. Drink lots of water and it also makes it easier. For reference, I started at 14 hr fasting windows and now do 16-18. Essentially, you don’t eat after dinner, skip breakfast, and eat lunch (light) late.
Intermittent fasting. Eat nothing between 8pm and 12pm. Eat reasonably between 12pm and 8pm.
This is the answer! Look up Dr Fung on YT, quit eating carbs
carbs... carbs and carbs are bad. Try intermittent fasting and keto as well. Get control of it now because things can start going wrong after sixty.
Eliminate Sugar from your diet and the IF becomes really pretty easy. I do a 17-7 most days with absolutely no effort.. I really like a 20-4 fast and will probably move back to that sometime soon.
I lost 50 pounds by intermittent fasting. I don't eat until 1pm each day and don't eat after 8 pm so basically a small lunch and a normal dinner. it has worked great.
Ditto. Almost exactly. Plus some other Youtubers, Books, and Documentaries along the way. In 4 mos., reversed longterm Type 2 Diabetes. My A1C now is much lower than oral medications (metform cocktails) was ever able to get it. After 20 years, give or take, or being a diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I am no longer. Dropped 50lbs in a little more than 4 mos. with Keto (or low carb if you can’t handle the label) and Intermittent Fasting. The IF piece is huge in this. “Three Square Meals” a day is a marketing ploy paid for by the food lobby!

Join some of the Facebook sites, watch the Youtube videos, learn what’s happening, and don’t give in. On difficult days, watch and read more. Huge community out there dealing with and overcoming what doctors once said was irreversible.

So I quoted everyone in this thread who is a proponent of intermittent fasting. Here’s my question: in your opinion, would an Atkins shake in the AM be ok or is that a violation of the fast?

So I quoted everyone in this thread who is a proponent of intermittent fasting. Here’s my question: in your opinion, would an Atkins shake in the AM be ok or is that a violation of the fast?

nothing in the morning.except coffee for me.I’m now fasting between 8pm and 2pm. It’s not as bad as it sounds. But then again I’ve never been much of a breakfast eater

Reactions: HuntinDawg
I would say don’t. The thing about I.F. Is that it is easier when you avoid eating at all. I do drink coffee, but that is generally acceptable (not a Starbucks high cal coffee drink, just coffee and black is preferable. If you use sweetener, use stevia. Not artificial because of the associated effect on your brain which is a different convo for a different day lol). If you go from 7pm to 3pm the next day without eating (something you will need to build to) it won’t be too hard. If you were to eat even something small for breakfast during that fast you won’t be able to make it. It’s like breaking the seal.

What is your A1C?

You've got to find a long term diet that works and it has to be one you can stick to. A good diet and a long walk every day is usually sufficient.

I’ve always heard the rule of thumb...depending on your body weight etc is 50-100 calories breaks your fast. You could potentially break the shake up a few times and drink 1/3 and an hour later 1/3 and then an hour later finish it off etc.

However, some people are very opinionated about that subject. However, it’s defintely worth reading up about. For me, I just drink black coffee and water and that’s it.

My mom does IF pretty regularly and she says if it is more than 50 calories it breaks your fast.

Also, I have really enjoyed the articles about and the podcast that Ethan Suplee (Louie Lastic from Remember the Titans) does. He has lost a lot of weight and he talks about mindset and getting to a happy place where his life doesn’t revolve around food choices.

The greatest benefit of fasting is giving your body a rest from digesting and processing foods. When this break occurs, your body can actually start to repair itself, get rid of damaged cells etc. Read a study that looked as immune systems after 3 days of fasting and found that the immune system actually begins to repair itself. There are spiritual components to that which are fascinating to me but I digress. Bottom line is I agree with other responses. More than 50 calories and the fast is broken. Eliminate sugar and after a few days a 16-8 fast is easy as the pie you aren't eating 😉

The greatest benefit of fasting is giving your body a rest from digesting and processing foods. When this break occurs, your body can actually start to repair itself, get rid of damaged cells etc. Read a study that looked as immune systems after 3 days of fasting and found that the immune system actually begins to repair itself. There are spiritual components to that which are fascinating to me but I digress. Bottom line is I agree with other responses. More than 50 calories and the fast is broken. Eliminate sugar and after a few days a 16-8 fast is easy as the pie you aren't eating 😉
I’ve been doing the IF all weekdays eating only dinner for about 2 months and at this point I wouldn’t want to go back. 1) it eliminates the inner food debate. What is healthy? What isn’t? How much of this should I eat? Can I eat it? What is a healthy snack I can have? Forget all that. Eat a normal dinner, and how much you want of that dinner will gradually decline as your stomach shrinks and you won’t spend your time obsessed over food. 2) you will feel better. You can and should drink a lot of water while doing this and being hydrated improves your overall health to a great degree. You will be more focused on other tasks, you will get more done, and you will spend a lot less money. 3) too many people think of healthy food as making them healthy. You will never eat yourself skinnier. Sure, you need nutrients and some foods provide those better than others but as far as this shake, that bar, or some other superfood being the key to weight loss following those things will create the wrong mindset. People seriously seem to fall into a trap that they think as long as they are eating healthy foods they will lose weight and they end up just eating the same amount of calories in “healthy” food. This isn’t going to make you healthier. It will make you a nutrient filled fat person. And you will pee out 75% of those nutrients. Take a flintstone vitamin and stop eating so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT