ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Public service...when going to the big box DIY stores dont get mad at the people working there

gtanduga

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
that they dont have enough people working....the ones working dont determine who or how many people are working. also those people are required to take 2 15m breaks and an hour lunch break

2nd- dont go to a DIY and expect a 21 yr old college kid making $18 an hour to tell you how to redo your deck....or patch a roof...much less how to fix an electrical issue.....its called DIY for a reason

So what you’re saying is if I see you working there today, don’t ask you anything specific?
LOL....dont be testing me today.....but I have done my time at HD and Lowes......if you can take it.... Lowes has excellent health INS and a great retirement.....

Reactions: orangeisgay
I actually want to hear the story of why you made this post. Obviously something pissed you off so I want all the juicy details.
No my son worked at one while in college got no hours because they werent giving them out he wasnt fired just couldnt work. I have a good friend who is a manager at a location in NC and he tells me when they are cutting back on hours for people to get more profit but its the customers that suffer as well as the people wanting to work there....social media post.

I have worked at them before and liked it....when I needed a job

Miss the good days when the people working at home improvement stores actually knew stuff about home improvement...
Im sure there are still some.....when I worked at one while in college this old timer who had built houses was incredible wealth of knowledge and a good dude but over all most emp are just there because like I was just was needing some $$$ they dont do any training on how to do something. I guess you go to Autozone and ask the guy to tell you how to fix your brakes?

that they dont have enough people working....the ones working dont determine who or how many people are working. also those people are required to take 2 15m breaks and an hour lunch break

2nd- dont go to a DIY and expect a 21 yr old college kid making $18 an hour to tell you how to redo your deck....or patch a roof...much less how to fix an electrical issue.....its called DIY for a reason
Even better … go to Ace of TrueValue hardware store. There was a recent Wall Street Journal and CNN article that non professionals are dumping Home Depot and Lowes in droves. I will only go to Ace or TrueValue. Soooooo much better.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/05/24/business/ace-hardware-staying-power

I tend to agree. I promise you they would rather help you than stock shelves, but there are some that shouldn't have an unsupervised job at all.

Even better … go to Ace of TrueValue hardware store. There was a recent Wall Street Journal and CNN article that non professionals are dumping Home Depot and Lowes in droves. I will only go to Ace or TrueValue. Soooooo much better.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/05/24/business/ace-hardware-staying-power

Agree. If I have a question about something, it can get answered at Ace. In my experience anyway.

Home Depot has a good selection of course, and its staff does try to be helpful. But it's irritating when I ask a question like "I'm looking for x thing for y reason... do you have x thing?" And the person pulls out his or her cell phone and searches for x item on the same public website that I looked at earlier. It's not that worker's fault, but it also doesn't really get me anywhere.

I suspect it is the same horrible experience we all have at HD and Lowes
Exactly its putting the bottom line above good service and the person making peanuts pays the price...this could probably go for any big "retail"

the chick fila and even publix(its more exp to shop but they always have a ton of people working) is the exception

I worked at a very successful Building supply store (not a big box) for 40 years starting in 1975 . Almost every salesman inside or outside could build a house themselves and knew how to help you with most any project.

I deal with Lowes in my town quite a bit. No HD here. My main complaint is no training with the workers. When I say "training" I don't mean on how to install windows or start a home foundation. I am talking simple stuff like how to process a customer's My Lowes money which I seem to run into a lot. I always look everything up I need on the web site so I will know where to find it. Saves time but I don't like standing at the checkout for extra time because the cashier is trying to figure out how to do something. The other complaint is workers that walk right by you with time on their hands and not acknowledging you or asking if they can help you. Lowes employees are notorious for this trust me. I go there enough to know. I eventually run one down if I need help. On the flip side, they have had some good ones or my go to people but these folks just don't seem to exist anymore. Lowes could use some better customer service training!

Reactions: bayrooster
I deal with Lowes in my town quite a bit. No HD here. My main complaint is no training with the workers. When I say "training" I don't mean on how to install windows or start a home foundation. I am talking simple stuff like how to process a customer's My Lowes money which I seem to run into a lot. I always look everything up I need on the web site so I will know where to find it. Saves time but I don't like standing at the checkout for extra time because the cashier is trying to figure out how to do something. The other complaint is workers that walk right by you with time on their hands and not acknowledging you or asking if they can help you. Lowes employees are notorious for this trust me. I go there enough to know. I eventually run one down if I need help. On the flip side, they have had some good ones or my go to people but these folks just don't seem to exist anymore. Lowes could use some better customer service training!
The register issue is sometimes because they dont have enough cashiers so its a fill in person so that person can take a break......walking past more then likely they are heading to break, already helping someone or just dont know anything about plumbing and know no one is in that department. So they can not say anything or tell the customer they will get someone knowing that there is no one to get which is worse?

It’s not the worker’s fault. It’s the fault of leadership at the store and the regional level. I call it the “easily measured disease” that focuses on short term gain.

You can measure personnel expense, revenue per employee, etc, etc and have a party at the end of the first few months you do that. Short term only focus though. Leadership has to have the cahones to say that “if people have a bad experience here then they will go somewhere else thus materially impacting top line revenue” - that is hard to measure but it’s reality and takes a long term focus.

There are countless stores and restaurants in middle GA that I will never step foot in again because of a terrible experience - you can’t put that in a spreadsheet and measure it.

Went in a brand new fast food place a while back. Service and experience were horrible. Spend millions on a new restaurant and hire very incapable people to lead and work there. Keeps me shaking my head.

Previous post mentioned Chick-fil-a and Publix - great examples of awesome culture that have great customer loyalty. It ain’t hard to figure out.

Last edited:
Ace Hardware opened near my house about 5 years ago.

I haven't walked into a Blowes or Home Depot since.

Reactions: acndog
The register issue is sometimes because they dont have enough cashiers so its a fill in person so that person can take a break......walking past more then likely they are heading to break, already helping someone or just dont know anything about plumbing and know no one is in that department. So they can not say anything or tell the customer they will get someone knowing that there is no one to get which is worse?
What you just replied is all BAD! Fill in person should have been trained on how to do the job. They should be trained on new offers that Lowes has, etc. and how to handle them. Breaks! Sure breaks are fine but tell a customer that you are supposed to take a break and you will find someone to help them. BTW, do they take breaks at 8:30-9:00 AM? That is the time frame that I was in the store 2 days ago and observed this as well as a problem with the cashier not knowing how to handle Lowes money that is available on a customer's Lowes credit card. I really get the impression that many of the employees don't like working there by their unfriendly attitudes. My advice is to use their web site to know where things are that you are looking for because you will be damn lucky to find someone to help you.

These days, I research all of the "how to" via Youtube if my close friends can't advise. I then locate the items needed at my local Lowes or Home Depot online, and note their aisle and bay number. That makes my excursion into the big box store very efficient. In and out. The people working there are pretty much incidental or irrelevant to me.

What you just replied is all BAD! Fill in person should have been trained on how to do the job. They should be trained on new offers that Lowes has, etc. and how to handle them. Breaks! Sure breaks are fine but tell a customer that you are supposed to take a break and you will find someone to help them. BTW, do they take breaks at 8:30-9:00 AM? That is the time frame that I was in the store 2 days ago and observed this as well as a problem with the cashier not knowing how to handle Lowes money that is available on a customer's Lowes credit card. I really get the impression that many of the employees don't like working there by their unfriendly attitudes. My advice is to use their web site to know where things are that you are looking for because you will be damn lucky to find someone to help you.
Breaks at 8:30-9 yes when they got there at 5. I already said they know there isn’t anyone to find.

It’s not the worker’s fault. It’s the fault of leadership at the store and the regional level. I call it the “easily measured disease” that focuses on short term gain.

You can measure personnel expense, revenue per employee, etc, etc and have a party at the end of the first few months you do that. Short term only focus though. Leadership has to have the cahones to say that “if people have a bad experience here then they will go somewhere else thus materially impacting top line revenue” - that is hard to measure but it’s reality and takes a long term focus.

There are countless stores and restaurants in middle GA that I will never step foot in again because of a terrible experience - you can’t put that in a spreadsheet and measure it.

Went in a brand new fast food place a while back. Service and experience was horrible. Spend millions on a new restaurant and hire very incapable people to lead and work there. Keeps me shaking my head.

Previous post mentioned Chick-fil-a and Publix - great examples of awesome culture that have great customer loyalty. It ain’t hard to figure out.

I love this. "Easily measured disease". Examples everywhere.

Reactions: MBATimberDawg
I tend to agree. I promise you they would rather help you than stock shelves, but there are some that shouldn't have an unsupervised job at all.
I’ve learned to browse the top shelves. They dont stock the lower shelves very well anymore. Most of the time they aren’t b out of stock. It’s just stuck sonewhere out of reach. Like virtually everywhere, they have really declined.

I go to my local Smith’s Farm Supply, if I want help. Or to my local unaffiliated hardware shop. At HD and Lowe’s, I have no problems. Sometimes I can’t find something though, and I have to say they’ve been very helpful. HD used to be a little like deer hunting, you’d need help and you’d see a flash of orange down an aisle, and you’d run down there and he’d be gone.

If you go to Home Depot or Lowe's it's not the employees fault only because they were willingly hired by their employer knowing they had no qualifications. Trying to find an intelligent employee in any department is like finding a unicorn. That's if you can find an employee at all.

I tried to buy wire, with no success, for thirty minutes in Lowe's the other day before I just gave up and left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT