ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Question for attorneys

seasidedawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2002
Dacula, GA
With what is going on in Fulton County, I am curious who pays for the DA’s (and any of the other staff members that may be drug in) legal representation? Does the county pay their legal expenses in all of these other hearings or do they have to fund their representation. Please don’t make this political and get this nuked. I seriously want to know.

Reactions: DTwnDawg
With what is going on in Fulton County, I am curious who pays for the DA’s (and any of the other staff members that may be drug in) legal representation? Does the county pay their legal expenses in all of these other hearings or do they have to fund their representation. Please don’t make this political and get this nuked. I seriously want to know.
County. They are public officials. Every penny going thru her office is taxpayers money.

Reactions: LrgK9
I am not familiar with Fulton County or Georgia’s specific procedures. But if the conduct is within the scope of their job, typically the governing body pays. If the conduct is outside the scope, the person pays. Or in the case of an elected official acting outside the scope, their campaign, PAC, or political party pays.

DAs and judges are sued all the time with outrageous, frequently frivolous claims of bias and misconduct (not commenting on this one at all—just saying as a general matter.) I had a case where the plaintiff went nuts and sued the federal judge for making a pass at her during the case; I was there, didn’t happen. So there is some good reason to provide them with representation. It often is the AGs office in the case of DAs. But certain states use private firms to keep fewer people on payroll.

They’re not necessarily using outside counsel right now. I think the DA’s briefs to this point were written by her office staff, but to the extent they get outside counsel, it would be county or state paid

DAs are state employees so the state typically pays for the representation of a DA who is being sued for acts committed in their official capacity. However, I imagine a county could choose to fund the representation as well or could do so if the State declined to provide the money. If the State or county won't cover the cost, the DA could be on the hook for it personally. If a DA has not been sued and is handling hearings etc related to a case that is being prosecuted, then the DA is just collecting his/her normal salary.

DAs are state employees so the state typically pays for the representation of a DA who is being sued for acts committed in their official capacity. However, I imagine a county could choose to fund the representation as well or could do so if the State declined to provide the money. If the State or county won't cover the cost, the DA could be on the hook for it personally. If a DA has not been sued and is handling hearings etc related to a case that is being prosecuted, then the DA is just collecting his/her normal salary.
That’s not correct. Local DAs are county elected, they are county paid, county funded. Any expenses incurred are paid by the respective county. Fulton Co is footing the bill, paying for the boyfriend lawyer.

Reactions: LrgK9
That’s not correct. Local DAs are county elected, they are county paid, county funded. Any expenses incurred are paid by the respective county. Fulton Co is footing the bill, paying for the boyfriend lawyer.
This isn’t what he’s asking. He’s asking who is paying for HER lawyer. That’s why he addressed the question to attorneys and why only attorneys (meaning: not you) should have answered.

The representation of the DA will come from either country funds or through the AG’s office or PAC. It’s possible it’ll be state funded.

I am not familiar with Fulton County or Georgia’s specific procedures. But if the conduct is within the scope of their job, typically the governing body pays. If the conduct is outside the scope, the person pays. Or in the case of an elected official acting outside the scope, their campaign, PAC, or political party pays.

DAs and judges are sued all the time with outrageous, frequently frivolous claims of bias and misconduct (not commenting on this one at all—just saying as a general matter.) I had a case where the plaintiff went nuts and sued the federal judge for making a pass at her during the case; I was there, didn’t happen. So there is some good reason to provide them with representation. It often is the AGs office in the case of DAs. But certain states use private firms to keep fewer people on payroll.
I don't think judges and DAs are "sued all the time." They generally are immune from being sued.

I don't think judges and DAs are "sued all the time." They generally are immune from being sued.
You are correct, they are generally immune. But someone has to move to dismiss on immunity grounds to assert that defense. As I said, most are frivolous. Many scorned parties file suits after getting bad results, particularly against judges in a civil context when a plaintiff is pro se. If you search a judge’s name on Pacer, you will find many wackadoo conspiracy claims against federal judges. Like lizard-people type conspiracies. Although I didn’t practice state criminal law (and only occasionally a narrow area of federal criminal law), there certainly are desperate criminal defendants who allege conspiracies involving judges, DAs, and other law enforcement. Even if insane, someone represents those parties.

Reactions: andrepulpwood
Hello, I don't mean to ask a political question but here's a political question for all the non-attorney legal experts on the board. Can you also give me a primer on freedom of speech?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT