ADVERTISEMENT

Reclayhound's Sunday Morning Ramblings..........Enjoy............

redclayhound

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
32.9815°N, 82.8101°W
chStUPMp.jpg

Good morning UJD, 911, and all you truly good yet deplorable Dawgs (you know who you are and who you ain’t)………I trust y’all are enjoying the weekend thus far…….I spent yesterday afternoon at my 2 year old granddaughter’s outdoor birthday celebration…….She is precious and beautiful….Remain aware of the virus, but get your lives back…..Football talk is around the corner……Take care….

Happy-SunDay-Memes-3.jpg

UGA SPORTS:

I’m gonna mention a Dawg great in the UGA football spotlight section this morning, just to make sure at least something Dawg is mentioned today in this “DAWGChat” forum………Today’s DGD in the spotlight is former Dawg Quarterback John Lastinger………….

John is certainly one of UGA’s most under-appreciated quarterbacks…….Let’s look at a few facts regarding that matter……

John played in 30 games in his UGA career…..He passed for 1,895 yards and 15 TDs……He rushed for 463 yards and 7 touchdowns……..His total offense in his UGA career is 2,358 total yards and 22 TDs……..Another dang good Dawg in that 2,000 yard+ career yards club at UGA……

During the 1981 and ’82 seasons, Lastinger guided the Bulldogs to a combined record of 21-2-1……He led the Dawgs to an SEC Championship in 1982……….Lastinger also quarterbacked Georgia in the 1983 Sugar Bowl against Penn State, and of course, he quarterbacked the Dawgs in the 1984 Cotton Bowl game vs Texas……..It was there in the Cotton Bowl, one play, that John Lastinger is remembered most, by far………

college-football-cotton-bowl-university-of-georgia-qb-john-lastinger-picture-id84139732

John Lastinger’s words: “It was a great run for us back then and we had gotten fairly comfortable going to the Sugar Bowl, having gone there in 1981 and ’82………That 1983 team, we lost to Auburn and not having a conference championship game, it was our first conference loss in four years, and it allowed them to go to the Sugar Bowl that year………But about a week after the game, coach (Vince) Dooley called the seniors in and said, ‘Here’s where things stand. We can either go to the Fiesta Bowl and play Iowa, or we can got to the Cotton Bowl and play an undefeated Texas team,’ and thus have a say in who might be the national champion………..It didn’t take us long to decide to go to Dallas and play Texas……..Of course we made that decision without having seen any film of Texas, but that’s how it started……….We knew it would be a challenge and we knew we’d be an underdog, but in the end we caught a break, and were able to pull out a victory.”

More John Lastinger words (The Play): “Texas’ defense was phenomenal that year, so we knew coming into the game that it would be tough sledding………We fought tooth and nail just to get those 10 points on the board………There were a lot of three and punts on both sides……..Of course, our defense was excellent, in fact, our defense was probably better that day, so I think both punters just wore their legs out……..So at the end we caught a break, got the ball back, and on that third and four, we just made the right call……..We ran an option play, and all I had to do was read one player because Texas had limited support on that side of the field…….As their guy leaned towards Tron Jackson, our running back, I just held on to the ball………The first thing I thought about was getting those four yards for the first down…….Then, I told myself, “Well, I might have a chance here.”…..I saw their free safety coming across but somehow got there………Kevin Butler then gave us the lead with the extra point, but we still had to kick it back to them…….However, we knew there was no way we’re losing this thing.”

What time is it????? It’ll always be 10 to 9 in Texas thanks to John Lastinger……That’s a good memory branded in the minds of every old UGA fan everywhere…….Oh, and BTW, did I tell you John Lastinger has been inducted into the Georgia Hall of Fame……..John Lastinger was, and still is DGD……

SOME “DID YOU KNOW STUFF?” ON THIS DATE IN HISTORY:

giphy.gif

526 years ago today, European explorer Christopher Columbus encountered the island of Jamaica, which he named Santiago.

366 years ago today, bridge at Rowley, Massachusetts begins charging tolls for animals

255 years ago today, 1st North American medical college opens in Philadelphia

218 years ago today, Washington, D.C. is incorporated as a city

205 years ago today, the Congress Kingdom of Poland was created by the Congress of Vienna as part of the political settlement at the end of the Napoleonic Wars.

190 years ago today, 1st regular steam train passenger service starts

passenger_rail_banner.jpg

169 years ago today, the sixth major fire in San Francisco destroys 1500-2000 buildings

119 years ago today, fire destroys 1,700 buildings in Jacksonville, Florida

99 years ago today, West Virginia became the first state to enact a state sales tax

97 years ago today, 1st nonstop north American transcontinental flight (NY-San Diego) completed

87 years ago today, Nellie T Ross the 1st female director of the US Mint takes office

83 years ago today, Margaret Mitchell wins Pulitzer Prize for "Gone With the Wind"

Margaret-Mitchell-1938.jpg

76 years ago today, meat rationing ends in US

75 years ago today, World War II: German ship "Cap Arcona" laden with prisoners sunk by Royal Air Force in East Sea, 5,800 killed - one of largest maritime losses of life

74 years ago today, in Tokyo, Japan, the International Military Tribunals for the Far East begins hearing the case against 28 Japanese military and government officials accused of committing war crimes and crimes against humanity during World War II.

73 years ago today, Japan's post-war constitution goes into effect, granting universal suffrage, stripping Emperor Hirohito of all but symbolic power and outlawing Japan's right to make war

71 years ago today, 1st firing of a US Viking rocket; reached 80 km

68 years ago today, 1st landing by an airplane at geographic North Pole

Also 68 years ago today, Kitty Wells records "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels."

64 years ago today, a new range of mountains discovered in Antarctica (2 over 13,000')

61 years ago today, Detroit Tiger's Charlie Maxwell hits 4 consecutive HRs in a doubleheader

55 years ago today, 1st use of satellite TV, Today Show on Early Bird Satellite

Also 55 years ago today, the lead element of the 173rd Airborne Brigade (“Sky Soldiers”), stationed in Okinawa, departs for South Vietnam. It was the first U.S. Army ground combat unit committed to the war.

180918-A-BH085-0003.JPG

53 years ago today, African American students seize finance building at Northwestern University

49 years ago today, National Public Radio begins programming

Also 49 years ago today, the Nixon administration arrests 13,000 anti-war protesters in 3 days

47 years ago today, Chicago's Sears Tower, world's tallest building (443 m), topped out

Chicago_Sears_Tower.jpg

45 years ago today, Chicago's LP Chicago VIII becomes the #1 album in the US according to Billboard

44 years ago today, Pan Am 747SP lands after record flight around world (46:26)

18-1.jpg

42 years ago today, the first unsolicited bulk commercial e-mail ("spam") is sent by a Digital Equipment Corporation marketing representative to every ARPANET address on the US west coast

41 years ago today, Bobby Bonds hits his 300th HR (2nd to have 300 HRs & 300 stolen bases)

Also 41 years ago today, Margaret Thatcher, leader of Britain's Conservative Party, won the general election to become the country's first female prime minister.

34 years ago today, propelled by a memorable video where lookalike models vamp the song, Robert Palmer's "Addicted To Love" hits #1 on the Hot 100.

ROBERTPALMER20.jpg

Also 34 years ago today, Bill Shoemaker becomes the oldest person ( 54 ) to win the famous Kentucky Derby; his ride: Ferdinand

34 years ago today, Dollywood (Dolly Parton's theme park) opened in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

32 years ago today, Miami Herald reports a woman spent Friday & Saturday with Gary Hart

Also 32 years ago today, Jasper Johns' "Diver" sold for $4,200,000Norman Braman, the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles football team, and his wife, Irma

johns.diver.jpeg

29 years ago today, "Dallas " goes off the air after running from Saturday, September 23rd, 1978 on CBS for more than 13 seasons

636577868505503487-D-25-DALLAS-10765401.JPG

21 years ago today, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma is slammed by an F5 tornado killing forty-two people, injuring 665, and causing $1 billion in damage. The tornado was one of 66 from the 1999 Oklahoma tornado outbreak. The tornado produces the highest wind speeds ever recorded

Also 21 years ago today, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closes above 11,000 for the first time in its history at 11,014.70

Again 21 years ago today, Mark Manes, at age 22, was arrested for supplying a gun to Eric Harris and Dylan Kleibold, who later killed 13 people at Columbine High School in Colorado.

14 years ago today, French citizen pleaded guilty in U.S. federal court to conspiring to kill citizens of the United States as part of the September 11 attacks

13 years ago today, less than two weeks before her fourth birthday, Madeleine McCann of Rothley, England, vanishes during a family vacation at a resort in southern Portugal. McCann’s disappearance prompted an international search; however, she has never been found.

4 years ago today, Billboard reported that Prince became the first act to concurrently chart five albums in the top 10 of the Billboard 200 since the merging of their stereo and mono lists in 1963. In the first full tracking week since Prince's death he had 19 albums on the top 200 list.

2 years ago today, Kilauea volcano on Big Island, Hawaii begins erupting forcing the evacuation of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and residential areas

pahoa-volcano_2695106k.jpg

One year ago today, Cyclone Fani strikes Odisha State, India and Bangladesh, killing 33 people after one of the biggest human evacuations ever - 1.2 million in India in 24 hours

SOME FOLKS WHO DIED ON THIS DATE:
Clipboard59__95202.1563132723.1280.1280.jpg

Henry Ossian Flipper, American soldier, former slave and first African American to graduate from the United States Military Academy at West Point

Ernie Nevers, American College, Pro Football Hall of Fame fullback, coach (Stanford, Chicago Cardinals)

Christine Jorgensen, 1st transsexual

Jackie Cooper, actor (one of The Little Rascals)

Tim Gullikson, tennis player and coach

Wally Schirra, one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts and the third American to orbit the Earth

SOME FOLKS BORN ON THIS DATE:

y85bf.jpg

Golda Meir [Mabovitch], Israeli teacher, stateswoman and 4th Prime Minister of Israel (1969-74) known as the "Iron Lady" of Israeli politics

David Koch, American businesman and philanthropist (Koch Industries billionaire)

Pete Staples, English rocker—one of the founding members of The Troggs (Wild Thing)

Akio Toyoda, Japanese president of Toyota Motor Corporation

Bing Crosby, singer, actor and songwriter (over four hundred million copies of his songs have sold)

James Brown, “The Godfather of Soul”

Pete Seeger - Folk singer

Sugar Ray Robinson (Walker Smith Jr.) – Boxer

Joe Ames - Musician (The Ames Brothers)

Dave Dudley - Country music singer

Frankie Valli - Musician (The Four Seasons)

Samantha Eggar – Actress

Greg Gumble – Sportscaster

Christopher Cross- Singer, songwriter

Mary Hopkin – folk singer

TODAY’S @$$HOLE OF THE DAY:

1hh5qj.jpg

The way I see it, following are some of the candidates today:

--Barry Bonds, the 41st anniversary of his 300th home run; yep Mr Steroid himself……...Barry, Barry, Barry, why couldn’t you hit them legit like Willie Mays did?.........

--Norman Braman and his wife Irma, owners of the Philadelphia Eagles, who on this 32nd anniversary of paying $4.2 mllion for Divers painting…….because it was for a charity, an attaboy……because he paid $4.2 million for that crap is just plain stoo-pid……..

--Zacarias Moussaoui, the French citizen who conspired to kill citizens of the United States as part of the September 11 attacks, on this the 14th anniversary of that POS pleaded guilty in US federal court ……….

-- Eric Harris and Dylan Kleibold, two kids who killed 13 other kids at Columbine High School in Colorado on this 21st anniversary of the massacre…….

All of those are worthy of the AOTD Award (some moreso than others), but me thinks the Award needs to go to Phil Duran and Mark Manes, for their part in placing a gun in the hands of Eric Harris and Dylan Kleibold in the Columbine shootings………

Here they are pictured below…….Both are POS low life punk-@$$es…….

markmanes-phil-duran-620x291.jpg

Duran was never charged in the massacre, because he only directed Harris and Kleibold to Mark Manes who would actually sell the gun to the under-aged boys……Manes served 19 months of his sentence…….

The least I can do is honor both Duran and Manes as @$$Holes of the Day……..Sad sad sad situation…….The Columbine family members are scarred for life…….Duran and Manes should at least be scarred for one day, and today is the day, both are today’s @$$Holes of the day…..

As always my good Dawg friends, I hope y’all have a Great Bulldawg Day…..Stay Safe…..help MAGA…….and God Bless…….

cb08c0d7b0e7449f2273183a77e6186d.png

0cb42d7c7f68fed8519555dd846b307b.jpg

Top of the morning, rch. Great stuff.

Thanks for headlining John Lastinger. John, a good friend of Jimmy Harrell who is from here, used to come to our local Bulldog Club meetings back when Bulldog Club meetings were huge social gatherings. John became a successful stock broker in Valdosta and is as humble as any football star ever.

Was in Dallas that day. It was colder than a witches chest, instead of black kids selling Cokes to fans, Mexican kids sold Dr Peppers. The game was like a home game for the Longhorns who would have won the national championship with a win because Pitt lost that day, but the Dawgs found a way to spoil that dream.

For some reason, I have a fuzzy memory of Herschel at that game wearing a full length fur coat. Can anyone verify that or did I have too much Dr Pepper that day?

Two AOTD?

Two? Rules committee? Hello?

RCH, I love you and your morning wisdom brings more to the chats before breakfast than most of us can muster in a month, but as an attorney, which btw is an automatic qualifier for AOTD, I am compelled to question the legitimacy of your unprecedented action.

Yes, I request, nay, I demand..............

a Chat Rules Committee Ruling!

Do I have a second?

EDIT: The ruling requested above was hastily withdrawn after further contemplation. The withdrawal was made under neither duress nor coercion. An NDA and related documents have been sealed in Chat Archives and may be requested after the standard period of 75 years.

Last edited:
My response to the rules committee:

(1) DDD, the ranking member of Dawgchat's Intellectual Committee, has stated that there are more @$$Holes out there than I have AOTD Awards....

(2) The ever popular Daedalus of Greek Mythology is the source of the often used words, "kill two birds with one stone"......Surely we don't want to make Daedalus mad?

I rest my case.........

Wow. Moose humbled!

While I might briefly contemplate challenging Daedalus' wisdom, yet would probably pause and not proceed, to cross swords with DDD on a Rules Committee matter is both a fool's errand and above my pay grade.

I shamefully and necessarily withdraw my request.

Moose go sulk in swamp til Magnificent Rack quit smoking.

My response to the rules committee:

(1) DDD, the ranking member of Dawgchat's Intellectual Committee, has stated that there are more @$$Holes out there than I have AOTD Awards....

(2) The ever popular Daedalus of Greek Mythology is the source of the often used words, "kill two birds with one stone"......Surely we don't want to make Daedalus mad?

I rest my case.........

There was an overweight realtor in Athens who went to his doctor complaining of stomach distress.

The doc listening to the symptoms, then asked the patient what he ate the day before.

Patient replies, "For breakfast had 3 eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, toast and coffee. Mid-morning met friends at Katherine's Kitchen for ham biscuit and more coffee. At lunch, went to Chase St Cafe and had meat and 3 (Fried Chicken, rice & gravy, Limas, Coke slaw, ice tea). Mid afternoon had pack of Lance crackers and a Coke. Went home, had a few beers, then spaghetti and French bread for supper.

Doc takes this in and replies, "Charlie, your problem is you need two a**holes."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT