ADVERTISEMENT

Redclayhound's Thursday Morning Ramblings........Enjoy.........

redclayhound

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
32.9815°N, 82.8101°W
chStUPMp.jpg

Good morning UJD, 911, and all you truly good yet deplorable Dawgs (you know who you are and who you ain’t)……Thursday, thank the Good Lord for another Day……And be sure to thank him for this beautiful weather……Enjoy these Ramblings and take care Fellow Dawgs……..

1299ee7600b9e3f487b61b0c118df09e.jpg

UGA SPORTS SPOTLIGHT:

I’m gonna mention a Dawg great in the UGA football spotlight section this morning, just to make sure at least something Dawg is mentioned today in this “DAWGChat” forum………Today’s DGD in the spotlight is former Dawg Wide Receiver Cassius Osborn………

Cassius played for Statesboro High School in the early 1980s………He was a very versatile player competing at the highest classification in Georgia…….Besides being considered one of the top receivers in the state as a senior, he played free safety on defense, was slotted occasionally at running back, passed for two touchdowns, and even was the team’s placekicker……

Cassius was a unique yet integral part of a run-first team—a big-play wide receiver for a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense………Osborn’s 19.9 yards-per-catch career average remains 2nd in Georgia football annals amongst those who made at least 40 receptions; his 24.0 career kick-return average still ranks in the top 10 of those with at least a dozen returns; and you can count on only one hand how many Bulldogs in history averaged at least 20 yards per touch (rushes + receptions + returns) of those with at least 1,000 career all-purpose yards—and Osborn is one of them (20.8 avg.)………..

Check out this highlight video of Cassius Osborn…..He was another exciting one to watch…..

Cassius on his arrival at UGA, “When I came to Georgia, I arrived very humble……..From what I knew of the program, it was Herschel Walker, Sugar Bowls, a Cotton Bowl, SEC titles, and a national championship…….I was just glad to be a Georgia Bulldog……….But, in my mind, I thought I’d probably sit out and redshirt as a freshman, then maybe play some the next year……….When I got there, I was star struck as I was watching Freddie Lane and Herman [Archie] in practice—guys I had seen on television the year or two before. So, I was just glad to be a part of it all.”……..

Since his playing days for the Bulldogs, Osborn has been busy teaching school and coaching football and track, including a stint as the head football coach at Portal High School in Bulloch County…….

Cassius added, “In 2012, I was honored by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame University of Georgia Chapter for my post-graduate work and for what I do in my community…….It’s a relatively new award, a real neat honor, and was a big accolade for me”……..

Cassius Osborne is a DGD……..

SOME “DID YOU KNOW STUFF?” ON THIS DATE IN HISTORY:

giphy.gif

413 years ago today, English colonists establish the 1st permanent English settlement in America at Jamestown……..Unknown to them they have landed amidst the worst drought in 800 years

253 years ago today, British government disbands Americans import duty on tea

233 years ago today, Delegates gather in Philadelphia to draw up US constitution

224 years ago today, English country doctor Edward Jenner administers the first inoculation against smallpox, using cowpox pus

220 years ago today, Friedrich von Schiller's "Macbeth" premieres

216 years ago today, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark's expedition commissioned by Thomas Jefferson sets out from St Louis for Pacific Coast

178 years ago today, Illustrated London News; the world's first illustrated weekly newspaper, begins publication

167 years ago today, Gail Borden, land surveyor, newspaper publisher and inventor, patents his process for condensed milk

159 years ago today, the Canellas meteorite, an 859-gram chondrite-type meteorite, strikes the earth near Barcelona, Spain

146 years ago today, the 1st admission charge at a football game took place as Harvard beats University of McGill (Montreal) 3-0

142 years ago today, Vaseline is granted a patent (U.S. Patent 127,568)

131 years ago today, the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) is launched

124 years ago today, the lowest US temperature in May was recorded (-10°F /-23°C at Climax, Colorado)

116 years ago today, the Third Olympiad of the modern era, and the first Olympic Games to be held in the United States, opens in St. Louis, Missouri

114 years ago today, the flagpole at the White Sox ballpark breaks during pennant-raising

112 years ago today, 1st passenger flight in an airplane

107 years ago today, Washington Senator’s Walter Johnson, legendary MLB Hall of Famer, ends record scoreless streak at 56 innings

102 years ago today, Sunday baseball is made legal in Washington, D.C.

100 years ago today, Washington Senator Walter Johnson wins his 300th game vs Detroit

Also 100 years ago today, the New Tork Giants inform the New York Yankees that the lease allowing them to play in the Polo Grounds will not be renewed at end of 1920 season

99 years ago today, Florence Allen is the 1st US woman judge to sentence a man to death

93 years ago today, "Ain't She Sweet?" is the #1 song in the US (by Ben Bernie)

88 years ago today, "We Want Beer!" parade took place in New York

82 years ago today, "The Adventures of Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland is released

the-adventures-of-robin-hood-b-movie-poster-prints.jpg

81 years ago today, Lina Medina of Peru becomes the world's youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five

80 years ago today, Boston MLB Hall of Famer Jimmie Foxx’s HR goes over Comiskey Park's left field roof

Also 80 yaers ago today, Nazis bomb Rotterdam (600-900 dead); Netherlands surrenders to Germany

79 years ago today, the 3,600 Parisian Jews were arrested

78 years ago today, the US Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) was formed

Also 78 years ago today, FDR has stated that all domestic air travel will be placed on a full wartime basis with the army operating or controlling the nations fleet of over 500 transport planes to help in the war effort

77 years ago today, the sinking of the Australian Hospital Ship Centaur off the coast of Queensland, by a Japanese submarine occurred

8ae5a05098593663ebec03d8071c8106

75 years ago today, Physician Joseph G. Hamilton injects misdiagnosed cancer patient Albert Stevens (CAL-1) with 131 kBq (3.55 µCi) of plutonium without his knowledge………Stevens lives another 20 years, surviving the highest known accumulated radiation dose in any human

Also 75 years ago today, US offensive on Okinawa, Sugar Loaf conquered (Bloodbath of the Pacific)

172da0d0a1918ade0571639db509bedf.jpg

72 years ago today, Israel declares independence from British administration and the US grants Israel de facto recognition

71 years ago today, US President Harry Truman signs bill establishing a rocket test range at Cape Canaveral

69 years ago today, Ernie Kovacs Show, TV Variety debut on NBC

65 years ago today, the Soviet Union and seven of its European satellites sign a treaty establishing the Warsaw Pact, a mutual defense organization that put the Soviets in command of the armed forces of the member states

60 years ago today, USSR launches 1st (unmanned) space capsule

59 years ago today, bus with 1st group of Freedom Riders bombed & burned in Alabama

Also 59 years ago today, Stirling Moss wins the 1961 Monaco Grand Prix

mon61.jpg

56 years ago today, National Underground America Day (May 14th) is 1st observed

Also 56 years ago today, Jan & Dean record "Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)." It goes on to peak at the #3 hit song in the US

53 years ago today, New York Yankee MLB Legend Mickey Mantle hits career HR #500 off Baltimore Oriole's Stu Miller

52 years ago today, The Beatles announce the formation of Apple Corporation

Also 52 years ago today, The Rascals record "People Got To Be Free." It would go on to become the #1 hit song in the US

51 years ago today, abortion & contraception legalized in Canada

Also 51 years ago today, the last Chevrolet Corvair was built

da0912-138578_1@2x.jpg

48 years ago today, the 24th Emmy Awards: "All In The Family", Carrol O'Conner & Jean Stapleton were the big winners

Also 48 years ago today, in MLB Legend Willie Mays’ 1st game as a New York Met his homer beats his former team San Francisco Giants, 5-4

Again 48 years ago today, the 14th Grammy Awards: “It's Too Late” by Carly Simon is the big winner

47 years ago today, Gold hits record $102.50 an ounce in London

Also 47 years ago today, Skylab launched, 1st Space Station

53cbc22edb91abdbd249c52c242b89d2.jpg

Again 47 years ago today, US Supreme court approves equal rights to females in military

45 years ago today, US forces raid Cambodian island of Koh Tang to free Mayaguez ship

44 years ago today, oil tanker Urqui Ola explodes off Spanish coast

43 years ago today, Leo Sayer's "When I Need You" became the #1 hit song in the US

Also 43 years ago today, Stanley Cup Final, Boston Garden, Boston, MA: Jacques Lemaire scores twice as Montreal Canadiens edge Boston Bruins, 2-1 in OT for a 4 game sweep and back-to-back titles

40 years ago today, Department of Health & Human Services begins operation

39 years ago today, 35th NBA Championship: Boston Celtics beat Houston Rockets, 4 games to 2

36 years ago today, 19th Academy of Country Music Awards: Alabama, Lee Greenwood, and Janie Fricke were the big winners

35 years ago today, Ray Kroc's first McDonald's restaurant became the first fast-food business museum. It is located in Des Plaines, Illinois

CASBEmcd_9200_620x300.jpg

34 years ago today, Netherlands Institute for War Documentation publishes Anne Frank's complete diary

34 years ago today, Pride of Baltimore lost at sea.

OriginalPride.jpg

33 years ago today, Colt revolver (Peacemaker) of 1873 sells for $242,000…..Here’s one more recently that sold for 7 times that amount……..

32 years ago today, 1st non-pitcher (Jose Oquendo) in 20 years to get a decision in a baseball game, he & St Louis Cards lose to Braves 7-5 in 19 innings

Also 32 years ago today, Carrollton bus collision: a drunk driver going the wrong way on Interstate 71 near Carrollton, Kentucky, United States hits a converted school bus carrying a church youth group…….The crash and ensuing fire kill 27

33734606930_508940a8fe_b.jpg

And 32 years ago today, Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary celebration takes place at New York's Madison Square Garden, featuring appearances from many famous artists on the label's roster: The Bee Gees, Wilson Pickett, The Rascals, The Coasters, Emerson, Lake And Palmer, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Foreigner, Yes, Genesis, and the event's main attraction, a rare reunion of Led Zeppelin, with John Bonham's son Jason taking over drums for his late father

31 years ago today, 1st time in 41 years a player hit 6 consecutive doubles (Kirby Puckett

Also 31 years ago today, the final TV episode of "Family Ties" airs on NBC with a 36 million audience

Again 31 years ago today, Moonlighting, TV Crime Drama last airs on ABC

30 years ago today, Dow Jones average hits a record 2,821.53

29 years ago today, Robert M Gates becomes head of CIA

Also 29 years ago today, World's Largest Burrito created at 1,126 lbs

23 years ago today, Major League Baseball's Executive Council suspends New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner

22 years ago today, Seinfeld's final 2-part episode "The Finale" airs on NBC to 76.3M viewers (commercials priced at $2M for 30 seconds)

Seinfeld_actors_montage.jpg

Also 22 years ago today, the Associated Press marked its 150th anniversary

21 years a go today, North Korea returned the remains of six U.S. soldiers that had been killed during the Korean War

18 years ago today, Laureus World Sports Awards, Grimaldi Forum, Monaco: Sportsman: Michael Schumacher---Sportswoman: Jennifer Capriati---Team: Australian Men's National Cricket team

15 years ago today, former USS America (CV-66), a decommissioned supercarrier of the US Navy, was deliberately sunk in the Atlantic Ocean after four weeks of live-fire exercises…….It is the largest ship ever to be disposed of as a target in a military exercise

1496853036285.jpg

9 years ago today, Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert get married, forming a country music power couple to rival the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill union…..They divorce four years later

8 years ago today, Stanford University scientists develop prototype bionic eye

7 years ago today, Brazil becomes the 15th country to legalize same-sex marriage

Also 7 years ago today, Dan Brown's fourth novel starring Robert Langdon (The Da Vinci Code), titled "Inferno", is released and instantly becomes a bestseller

4 years ago today, Gabriel Medina becomes the first surfer ever to land the move "Backflip" in competition

3 years ago today, Johnny Mathis confirms he is gay during an interview with CBS News Sunday Morning, saying, "I come from San Francisco…..It's not unusual to be gay in San Francisco

2 years ago today, successful memory transfer in snails achieved by scientists from University of California published in journal

Also 2 years ago today, Indian politician Shashi Tharoor is charged by police with driving his wife to commit suicide

Again 2 years ago today, Chinese mountain climber and double amputee Xia Boyu reaches the summit of Mt Everest

And 2 years ago today, US Supreme Court strikes down federal law banning sports gambling in most states

One year ago today, Wikipedia confirms China has banned all versions of its site

Also one year ago today, San Francisco is the first city to vote to ban use of facial recognition

SOME FOLKS WHO DIED ON THIS DATE

15501006471_d35bc16e5a_b.jpg

Henry John Heinz, German-American entrepreneur who founded prepared-foods company (H.J. Heinz Company-57 varieties)

Keith Relf, British musician and lead vocalist (the Yardbirds-For Your Love, Renaissance),
electrocuted while playing an improperly earthed electric guitar at 33

Bill Lear, American engineer, manufacturer and CEO (Lear Jet Corp)

Hugh Griffith, Welsh actor (Ben-Hur, Mutiny on the Bounty, Oliver!)

Hugh Beaumont, American actor Leave it to Beaver)

Rita Hayworth, American actress (Gilda, Cover Girl, The Lady from Shanghai)

Lyle Alzado, NFL defensive linesman (LA Raiders) and actor (Oceans of Fire, Hangfire)

William Randolph Hearst, Jr., American newspaper magnate (Hearst Newspapers) and 1955 Pulitzer Prize winner—Patty Hearst’s Grandaddy

Frank Sinatra, Legendary American singer ("My Way") and actor ("Guys and Dolls")

Dave DeBusschere, American NBA basketball player

Robert Stack, American actor (The Untouchables, Unsolved Mysteries)

Lewis "Lew" Anderson, American actor and musician…..He is widely known by TV fans as the third and final actor to portray Clarabell the Clown on the Howdy Doody Show

Bob Rosburg, American golfer, broadcaster (PGA Championship 1959)

B.B. King, American blues guitarist and singer (The Thrill is Gone)

Doug Ford, American golfer (PGA Championship 1955, US Masters 1957)

SOME FOLKS BORN ON THIS DATE:

y85bf.jpg

Bobby Darin [Walden Robert Cassotto], American singer (Mack the Knife)

Dick Howser, shortstop (Kansas City A's), manager (KC Royals)

Tony Perez, MLB player

Elizabeth Ray, Marshall NC, congressman Wayne Hays' lover

Jack Bruce, Scottish bassist and singer-songwriter (Cream-White Room)

George Lucas, American director (Star Wars, Indiana Jones

Troy Shondell, American rocker & one time wonder (This Time)

Jill Stein, American physician, activist & Green Party nominee for President (2016)

Robert Zemeckis, American film director (Forrest Gump, Back to the Future)

David Byrne, Dumbarton Scotland, rock guitarist/singer (Talking Heads)

Frank Nobilo, New Zealand golfer, broadcaster (5 European Tour titles, CBS, Golf Channel)

Tim Roth, Actor ("Resovoir Dogs," "Pulp Fiction")

Cate Blanchett, Australian actress (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Lord of the Rings)

Mark Zuckerberg, American internet entrepreneur and co-founder of Facebook

TODAY’S @$$HOLE OF THE DAY:
1hh5qj.jpg

Probably making a mistake here, but I don’t know enough about this Zuckerberg cat……I’m not on facebook, so I don’t keep up with him……I wan’t to say he’s a Liberal, but I see some stuff that lead me to believe he’s a conservative……I dunno on him at this last minute……y’all will let me know if I shoulda nailed him……But if so, there’s plenty of time later to crown his rich @$$.......He didn’t get to be a multi-billionaire with out at least deserving a KMA……

Then there’s Dr Joseph G. Hamilton who misdiagnosed cancer patient Albert Stevens and injected him with plutonium without his knowledge………Stevens lives another 20 years, surviving the highest known accumulated radiation dose in any human………

If I’m Albert Stevens, I’d be a tad upset when I first heard the news……I don’t image it would be difficult to call Dr Hamilton an @$$Hole……….

Then there’s this: 81 years ago today, Lina Medina of Peru becomes the world's youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five…….D, JD…………That low rent POS perpetrator can KMA………

But my pick for AOTD goes to Larry Wayne Mahoney, a 34-year-old factory worker who was driving his pick-up truck the wrong direction on I-71, hit a bus full of children, killed 27 (24 of those were kids) and severely injured/burned numerous others……..This occurred in Kentucky in 1988, still it is gut-wrenching to think about…….. The head-on collision was the deadliest incident involving drunk driving and the third-deadliest bus crash in United States history……..Larry Mahoney, you are our @$$Hole of the Day……..

636614666654179343-mahoney.jpg

As always my good Dawg friends, I hope y’all have a Great Bulldawg Day…..Stay Safe…..help MAGA…….and God Bless…….

cb08c0d7b0e7449f2273183a77e6186d.png

CGvndaVW8AEvI_o.png

Great, as always. Thankee, rch.

Anyone who watched TV series, "Justified" and marveled at characters like Dewey Crowe and Dickie Bennett is not surprised by a Kentucky low-life being AOTD.
justified_dickie_and_dewey.eouaive32f40soog84w0cwokg.4seibt8chw6ck04c0484s0wk4.th.jpeg

Also, in Peru, the world's youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five...
Hmmm, never knew anything before about Jeffrey Esptein's grandfather.

Last edited:
chStUPMp.jpg

Good morning UJD, 911, and all you truly good yet deplorable Dawgs (you know who you are and who you ain’t)……Thursday, thank the Good Lord for another Day……And be sure to thank him for this beautiful weather……Enjoy these Ramblings and take care Fellow Dawgs……..

1299ee7600b9e3f487b61b0c118df09e.jpg

UGA SPORTS SPOTLIGHT:

I’m gonna mention a Dawg great in the UGA football spotlight section this morning, just to make sure at least something Dawg is mentioned today in this “DAWGChat” forum………Today’s DGD in the spotlight is former Dawg Wide Receiver Cassius Osborn………

Cassius played for Statesboro High School in the early 1980s………He was a very versatile player competing at the highest classification in Georgia…….Besides being considered one of the top receivers in the state as a senior, he played free safety on defense, was slotted occasionally at running back, passed for two touchdowns, and even was the team’s placekicker……

Cassius was a unique yet integral part of a run-first team—a big-play wide receiver for a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense………Osborn’s 19.9 yards-per-catch career average remains 2nd in Georgia football annals amongst those who made at least 40 receptions; his 24.0 career kick-return average still ranks in the top 10 of those with at least a dozen returns; and you can count on only one hand how many Bulldogs in history averaged at least 20 yards per touch (rushes + receptions + returns) of those with at least 1,000 career all-purpose yards—and Osborn is one of them (20.8 avg.)………..

Check out this highlight video of Cassius Osborn…..He was another exciting one to watch…..

Cassius on his arrival at UGA, “When I came to Georgia, I arrived very humble……..From what I knew of the program, it was Herschel Walker, Sugar Bowls, a Cotton Bowl, SEC titles, and a national championship…….I was just glad to be a Georgia Bulldog……….But, in my mind, I thought I’d probably sit out and redshirt as a freshman, then maybe play some the next year……….When I got there, I was star struck as I was watching Freddie Lane and Herman [Archie] in practice—guys I had seen on television the year or two before. So, I was just glad to be a part of it all.”……..

Since his playing days for the Bulldogs, Osborn has been busy teaching school and coaching football and track, including a stint as the head football coach at Portal High School in Bulloch County…….

Cassius added, “In 2012, I was honored by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame University of Georgia Chapter for my post-graduate work and for what I do in my community…….It’s a relatively new award, a real neat honor, and was a big accolade for me”……..

Cassius Osborne is a DGD……..

SOME “DID YOU KNOW STUFF?” ON THIS DATE IN HISTORY:

giphy.gif

413 years ago today, English colonists establish the 1st permanent English settlement in America at Jamestown……..Unknown to them they have landed amidst the worst drought in 800 years

253 years ago today, British government disbands Americans import duty on tea

233 years ago today, Delegates gather in Philadelphia to draw up US constitution

224 years ago today, English country doctor Edward Jenner administers the first inoculation against smallpox, using cowpox pus

220 years ago today, Friedrich von Schiller's "Macbeth" premieres

216 years ago today, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark's expedition commissioned by Thomas Jefferson sets out from St Louis for Pacific Coast

178 years ago today, Illustrated London News; the world's first illustrated weekly newspaper, begins publication

167 years ago today, Gail Borden, land surveyor, newspaper publisher and inventor, patents his process for condensed milk

159 years ago today, the Canellas meteorite, an 859-gram chondrite-type meteorite, strikes the earth near Barcelona, Spain

146 years ago today, the 1st admission charge at a football game took place as Harvard beats University of McGill (Montreal) 3-0

142 years ago today, Vaseline is granted a patent (U.S. Patent 127,568)

131 years ago today, the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) is launched

124 years ago today, the lowest US temperature in May was recorded (-10°F /-23°C at Climax, Colorado)

116 years ago today, the Third Olympiad of the modern era, and the first Olympic Games to be held in the United States, opens in St. Louis, Missouri

114 years ago today, the flagpole at the White Sox ballpark breaks during pennant-raising

112 years ago today, 1st passenger flight in an airplane

107 years ago today, Washington Senator’s Walter Johnson, legendary MLB Hall of Famer, ends record scoreless streak at 56 innings

102 years ago today, Sunday baseball is made legal in Washington, D.C.

100 years ago today, Washington Senator Walter Johnson wins his 300th game vs Detroit

Also 100 years ago today, the New Tork Giants inform the New York Yankees that the lease allowing them to play in the Polo Grounds will not be renewed at end of 1920 season

99 years ago today, Florence Allen is the 1st US woman judge to sentence a man to death

93 years ago today, "Ain't She Sweet?" is the #1 song in the US (by Ben Bernie)

88 years ago today, "We Want Beer!" parade took place in New York

82 years ago today, "The Adventures of Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland is released

the-adventures-of-robin-hood-b-movie-poster-prints.jpg

81 years ago today, Lina Medina of Peru becomes the world's youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five

80 years ago today, Boston MLB Hall of Famer Jimmie Foxx’s HR goes over Comiskey Park's left field roof

Also 80 yaers ago today, Nazis bomb Rotterdam (600-900 dead); Netherlands surrenders to Germany

79 years ago today, the 3,600 Parisian Jews were arrested

78 years ago today, the US Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) was formed

Also 78 years ago today, FDR has stated that all domestic air travel will be placed on a full wartime basis with the army operating or controlling the nations fleet of over 500 transport planes to help in the war effort

77 years ago today, the sinking of the Australian Hospital Ship Centaur off the coast of Queensland, by a Japanese submarine occurred

8ae5a05098593663ebec03d8071c8106

75 years ago today, Physician Joseph G. Hamilton injects misdiagnosed cancer patient Albert Stevens (CAL-1) with 131 kBq (3.55 µCi) of plutonium without his knowledge………Stevens lives another 20 years, surviving the highest known accumulated radiation dose in any human

Also 75 years ago today, US offensive on Okinawa, Sugar Loaf conquered (Bloodbath of the Pacific)

172da0d0a1918ade0571639db509bedf.jpg

72 years ago today, Israel declares independence from British administration and the US grants Israel de facto recognition

71 years ago today, US President Harry Truman signs bill establishing a rocket test range at Cape Canaveral

69 years ago today, Ernie Kovacs Show, TV Variety debut on NBC

65 years ago today, the Soviet Union and seven of its European satellites sign a treaty establishing the Warsaw Pact, a mutual defense organization that put the Soviets in command of the armed forces of the member states

60 years ago today, USSR launches 1st (unmanned) space capsule

59 years ago today, bus with 1st group of Freedom Riders bombed & burned in Alabama

Also 59 years ago today, Stirling Moss wins the 1961 Monaco Grand Prix

mon61.jpg

56 years ago today, National Underground America Day (May 14th) is 1st observed

Also 56 years ago today, Jan & Dean record "Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)." It goes on to peak at the #3 hit song in the US

53 years ago today, New York Yankee MLB Legend Mickey Mantle hits career HR #500 off Baltimore Oriole's Stu Miller

52 years ago today, The Beatles announce the formation of Apple Corporation

Also 52 years ago today, The Rascals record "People Got To Be Free." It would go on to become the #1 hit song in the US

51 years ago today, abortion & contraception legalized in Canada

Also 51 years ago today, the last Chevrolet Corvair was built

da0912-138578_1@2x.jpg

48 years ago today, the 24th Emmy Awards: "All In The Family", Carrol O'Conner & Jean Stapleton were the big winners

Also 48 years ago today, in MLB Legend Willie Mays’ 1st game as a New York Met his homer beats his former team San Francisco Giants, 5-4

Again 48 years ago today, the 14th Grammy Awards: “It's Too Late” by Carly Simon is the big winner

47 years ago today, Gold hits record $102.50 an ounce in London

Also 47 years ago today, Skylab launched, 1st Space Station

53cbc22edb91abdbd249c52c242b89d2.jpg

Again 47 years ago today, US Supreme court approves equal rights to females in military

45 years ago today, US forces raid Cambodian island of Koh Tang to free Mayaguez ship

44 years ago today, oil tanker Urqui Ola explodes off Spanish coast

43 years ago today, Leo Sayer's "When I Need You" became the #1 hit song in the US

Also 43 years ago today, Stanley Cup Final, Boston Garden, Boston, MA: Jacques Lemaire scores twice as Montreal Canadiens edge Boston Bruins, 2-1 in OT for a 4 game sweep and back-to-back titles

40 years ago today, Department of Health & Human Services begins operation

39 years ago today, 35th NBA Championship: Boston Celtics beat Houston Rockets, 4 games to 2

36 years ago today, 19th Academy of Country Music Awards: Alabama, Lee Greenwood, and Janie Fricke were the big winners

35 years ago today, Ray Kroc's first McDonald's restaurant became the first fast-food business museum. It is located in Des Plaines, Illinois

CASBEmcd_9200_620x300.jpg

34 years ago today, Netherlands Institute for War Documentation publishes Anne Frank's complete diary

34 years ago today, Pride of Baltimore lost at sea.

OriginalPride.jpg

33 years ago today, Colt revolver (Peacemaker) of 1873 sells for $242,000…..Here’s one more recently that sold for 7 times that amount……..

32 years ago today, 1st non-pitcher (Jose Oquendo) in 20 years to get a decision in a baseball game, he & St Louis Cards lose to Braves 7-5 in 19 innings

Also 32 years ago today, Carrollton bus collision: a drunk driver going the wrong way on Interstate 71 near Carrollton, Kentucky, United States hits a converted school bus carrying a church youth group…….The crash and ensuing fire kill 27

33734606930_508940a8fe_b.jpg

And 32 years ago today, Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary celebration takes place at New York's Madison Square Garden, featuring appearances from many famous artists on the label's roster: The Bee Gees, Wilson Pickett, The Rascals, The Coasters, Emerson, Lake And Palmer, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Foreigner, Yes, Genesis, and the event's main attraction, a rare reunion of Led Zeppelin, with John Bonham's son Jason taking over drums for his late father

31 years ago today, 1st time in 41 years a player hit 6 consecutive doubles (Kirby Puckett

Also 31 years ago today, the final TV episode of "Family Ties" airs on NBC with a 36 million audience

Again 31 years ago today, Moonlighting, TV Crime Drama last airs on ABC

30 years ago today, Dow Jones average hits a record 2,821.53

29 years ago today, Robert M Gates becomes head of CIA

Also 29 years ago today, World's Largest Burrito created at 1,126 lbs

23 years ago today, Major League Baseball's Executive Council suspends New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner

22 years ago today, Seinfeld's final 2-part episode "The Finale" airs on NBC to 76.3M viewers (commercials priced at $2M for 30 seconds)

Seinfeld_actors_montage.jpg

Also 22 years ago today, the Associated Press marked its 150th anniversary

21 years a go today, North Korea returned the remains of six U.S. soldiers that had been killed during the Korean War

18 years ago today, Laureus World Sports Awards, Grimaldi Forum, Monaco: Sportsman: Michael Schumacher---Sportswoman: Jennifer Capriati---Team: Australian Men's National Cricket team

15 years ago today, former USS America (CV-66), a decommissioned supercarrier of the US Navy, was deliberately sunk in the Atlantic Ocean after four weeks of live-fire exercises…….It is the largest ship ever to be disposed of as a target in a military exercise

1496853036285.jpg

9 years ago today, Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert get married, forming a country music power couple to rival the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill union…..They divorce four years later

8 years ago today, Stanford University scientists develop prototype bionic eye

7 years ago today, Brazil becomes the 15th country to legalize same-sex marriage

Also 7 years ago today, Dan Brown's fourth novel starring Robert Langdon (The Da Vinci Code), titled "Inferno", is released and instantly becomes a bestseller

4 years ago today, Gabriel Medina becomes the first surfer ever to land the move "Backflip" in competition

3 years ago today, Johnny Mathis confirms he is gay during an interview with CBS News Sunday Morning, saying, "I come from San Francisco…..It's not unusual to be gay in San Francisco

2 years ago today, successful memory transfer in snails achieved by scientists from University of California published in journal

Also 2 years ago today, Indian politician Shashi Tharoor is charged by police with driving his wife to commit suicide

Again 2 years ago today, Chinese mountain climber and double amputee Xia Boyu reaches the summit of Mt Everest

And 2 years ago today, US Supreme Court strikes down federal law banning sports gambling in most states

One year ago today, Wikipedia confirms China has banned all versions of its site

Also one year ago today, San Francisco is the first city to vote to ban use of facial recognition

SOME FOLKS WHO DIED ON THIS DATE

15501006471_d35bc16e5a_b.jpg

Henry John Heinz, German-American entrepreneur who founded prepared-foods company (H.J. Heinz Company-57 varieties)

Keith Relf, British musician and lead vocalist (the Yardbirds-For Your Love, Renaissance),
electrocuted while playing an improperly earthed electric guitar at 33

Bill Lear, American engineer, manufacturer and CEO (Lear Jet Corp)

Hugh Griffith, Welsh actor (Ben-Hur, Mutiny on the Bounty, Oliver!)

Hugh Beaumont, American actor Leave it to Beaver)

Rita Hayworth, American actress (Gilda, Cover Girl, The Lady from Shanghai)

Lyle Alzado, NFL defensive linesman (LA Raiders) and actor (Oceans of Fire, Hangfire)

William Randolph Hearst, Jr., American newspaper magnate (Hearst Newspapers) and 1955 Pulitzer Prize winner—Patty Hearst’s Grandaddy

Frank Sinatra, Legendary American singer ("My Way") and actor ("Guys and Dolls")

Dave DeBusschere, American NBA basketball player

Robert Stack, American actor (The Untouchables, Unsolved Mysteries)

Lewis "Lew" Anderson, American actor and musician…..He is widely known by TV fans as the third and final actor to portray Clarabell the Clown on the Howdy Doody Show

Bob Rosburg, American golfer, broadcaster (PGA Championship 1959)

B.B. King, American blues guitarist and singer (The Thrill is Gone)

Doug Ford, American golfer (PGA Championship 1955, US Masters 1957)

SOME FOLKS BORN ON THIS DATE:

y85bf.jpg

Bobby Darin [Walden Robert Cassotto], American singer (Mack the Knife)

Dick Howser, shortstop (Kansas City A's), manager (KC Royals)

Tony Perez, MLB player

Elizabeth Ray, Marshall NC, congressman Wayne Hays' lover

Jack Bruce, Scottish bassist and singer-songwriter (Cream-White Room)

George Lucas, American director (Star Wars, Indiana Jones

Troy Shondell, American rocker & one time wonder (This Time)

Jill Stein, American physician, activist & Green Party nominee for President (2016)

Robert Zemeckis, American film director (Forrest Gump, Back to the Future)

David Byrne, Dumbarton Scotland, rock guitarist/singer (Talking Heads)

Frank Nobilo, New Zealand golfer, broadcaster (5 European Tour titles, CBS, Golf Channel)

Tim Roth, Actor ("Resovoir Dogs," "Pulp Fiction")

Cate Blanchett, Australian actress (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Lord of the Rings)

Mark Zuckerberg, American internet entrepreneur and co-founder of Facebook

TODAY’S @$$HOLE OF THE DAY:
1hh5qj.jpg

Probably making a mistake here, but I don’t know enough about this Zuckerberg cat……I’m not on facebook, so I don’t keep up with him……I wan’t to say he’s a Liberal, but I see some stuff that lead me to believe he’s a conservative……I dunno on him at this last minute……y’all will let me know if I shoulda nailed him……But if so, there’s plenty of time later to crown his rich @$$.......He didn’t get to be a multi-billionaire with out at least deserving a KMA……

Then there’s Dr Joseph G. Hamilton who misdiagnosed cancer patient Albert Stevens and injected him with plutonium without his knowledge………Stevens lives another 20 years, surviving the highest known accumulated radiation dose in any human………

If I’m Albert Stevens, I’d be a tad upset when I first heard the news……I don’t image it would be difficult to call Dr Hamilton an @$$Hole……….

Then there’s this: 81 years ago today, Lina Medina of Peru becomes the world's youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five…….D, JD…………That low rent POS perpetrator can KMA………

But my pick for AOTD goes to Larry Wayne Mahoney, a 34-year-old factory worker who was driving his pick-up truck the wrong direction on I-71, hit a bus full of children, killed 27 (24 of those were kids) and severely injured/burned numerous others……..This occurred in Kentucky in 1988, still it is gut-wrenching to think about…….. The head-on collision was the deadliest incident involving drunk driving and the third-deadliest bus crash in United States history……..Larry Mahoney, you are our @$$Hole of the Day……..

636614666654179343-mahoney.jpg

As always my good Dawg friends, I hope y’all have a Great Bulldawg Day…..Stay Safe…..help MAGA…….and God Bless…….

cb08c0d7b0e7449f2273183a77e6186d.png

CGvndaVW8AEvI_o.png

[/QUO

Monaco and yes we did that a few years back and that street track is quite an experience even in a French made car. A week of gambling, eating and viewing to topless beach for old 65. You had to elbow your way past the JAP photographers who were taken some film of those topless bathers on the Monaco Beach. 65

Good read, RCH. I didn't know much about Osborn, so that was very interesting to read! One error: you said Carly Simon on "It's Too Late". It's Carole King. Not that it took anything away from the great read!

Y'all keep me straight.......Thx for the correction......Kinda embarrassing!!

GiddyConsiderateBlackmamba-size_restricted.gif

Good read, RCH. I didn't know much about Osborn, so that was very interesting to read! One error: you said Carly Simon on "It's Too Late". It's Carole King. Not that it took anything away from the great read!

IT WAS TOO LATE for sure an how many drinks went down during the sing along with that song. A singer in Atlanta named Bonnie Brooks could blast that one out at her restaurant on Rowell Road called Bonnie Brooks Farm. She took up with a wealth Paces Ferry Road divorced man and he put her in the business after she gave him the business. 65

IT WAS TOO LATE for sure an how many drinks went down during the sing along with that song. A singer in Atlanta named Bonnie Brooks could blast that one out at her restaurant on Rowell Road called Bonnie Brooks Farm. She took up with a wealth Paces Ferry Road divorced man and he put her in the business after she gave him the business. 65
I reckon she's the perfect one to sing that song then!

I wouldn't know. Musically I prefer Carole though. Hope no one took my pointing out of a typo as me complaining or disparaging Red. Love that guy.
I had the Tapestry album since it was released. A couple years ago, we pulled it out for a listen. It seemed so dated we threw it away. She is about as bad as Streisand politically. I threw her shit out not because it sounded dated but because I hate her. I have thrown out hundreds of albums from the 60s and 70s and later. Most of it has been turned into garbage by time, imo, although maybe it was always garbage. Even the truly great stuff, like Derek and the Dominoes for instance, sounds dated to me. And the early ABB albums and many others still sound great.

I had the Tapestry album since it was released. A couple years ago, we pulled it out for a listen. It seemed so dated we threw it away. She is about as bad as Streisand politically. I threw her shit out not because it sounded dated but because I hate her. I have thrown out hundreds of albums from the 60s and 70s and later. Most of it has been turned into garbage by time, imo, although maybe it was always garbage. Even the truly great stuff, like Derek and the Dominoes for instance, sounds dated to me. And the early ABB albums and many others still sound great.
Do you still have that Skydog boxed set?

I wouldn't know. Musically I prefer Carole though. Hope no one took my pointing out of a typo as me complaining or disparaging Red. Love that guy.

Hey, I appreciate y'all pointing out my mistakes......It's a small wonder I haven't made many more.......Please keep correcting me.....I prefer it to be that way.........And no Gibby, I ain't given it a second thought......I knew it was Carol King, not Carly Simon, but that doesn't excuse the error.......Go figure why I typed Carly Simon, cause damned if I know (unless it's like Triple D says)......

BTW, I think Carol King is the one that has written over 100 songs (for other artists) that have made it on the US Billboard charts.....

What do you think about that Colt Peacemaker selling for nearly $2 million????
I think it's great because I am a huge Colt fan, pistols, revolvers, and rifles. A great American company which has had its ups and downs and a few dark chapters, but arguably more history than any other manufacturer. I don't know a lot about 1800s revolvers but find that Walker you posted a beautiful old revolver. Then there is the Single Action Army, which I also find beautiful with huge history. And certain 1911s are the prettiest of all, with more huge history, of course, except for all the Snake Guns, which are the prettiest pistols/revolvers ever made, imo. And the M-16 is pretty sexy, too. Also some beautiful bolt rifles. Yeah, the Prancing Pony is A-OK in my book.

Last edited:
Do you still have that Skydog boxed set?
Yes, of course, and I have a couple discs in my truck which I listen to when fed up with radio. That was a wonderful gift along with the Stones DVDs. There are some good moments there, too. I wish the Stones would have paid more attention to videography in the early years, but we've got what we've got.

Yes, of course, and I have a couple discs in my truck which I listen to when fed up with radio. That was a wonderful gift along with the Stones DVDs. There are some good moments there, too. I wish the Stones would have paid more attention to videography in the early years, but we've got what we've got.
That box set is going for upwards of $300 on eBay for brand new. Hold on to it no matter what you do. Even if you get sick of it. (And no, I didn't pay even close to that for it)

That box set is going for upwards of $300 on eBay for brand new. Hold on to it no matter what you do. Even if you get sick of it. (And no, I didn't pay even close to that for it)
Well, I first saw Duane and the ABB in Piedmont Park playing on the back of a flatbed semi trailer in 1969. I think maybe 3 times and have not gotten sick of them yet. Fortunately they went the distance and left us some good quality DVDs, and there's some old video of Duane, too. What a band in every iteration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT