ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding Aaron Brule...

nostalgia80

Diehard supporter
Jul 3, 2001
Trent already noted he did not expect him in this class this morning, but for those keeping score last night he tweeted that "this is a cuthroat business" only to delete that tweet today; last night he removed UGA commitment from his Twitter profile; and today he removed the picture of him in a UGA jersey and the G logo entirely from his avatar. It is currently blank. I think the kid is in shock and truly feel sorry for him.

This was not a "mutual" parting of the ways. Instead, it was the second time in two years that we have flat-out dropped a commitment in good academic standing less than 10 days before they were set to sign with UGA. While both are d---- moves, at least Brule was not planning to enroll early (unlike Toneil Carter), so he has much more time to find a new school to sign with. Moreover, this is regularly how the likes of Saban, Harbaugh and Meyer do business, all of whom are outstanding coaches and lousy humans.

Regardless, this is why critics like me hate the NCAA and this system so much. Players get screwed regularly. Coaches can leave to take new jobs at any time without penalty, but players lose a year of eligibility in most cases if they want to transfer and in most cases must actually get permission from the school they are leaving to attend the school they choose to transfer to even if sitting out a year.

It's a cuthroat professional business in every way except the players don't get paid and are on 1-year reknewable scholarships that schools can drop them from for any reason.

Critiques aside, I am not going to make a big deal of this, because Brule still has plenty of time to find a good alternative before February, it won't delay his enrollment and we are winning big and recruiting at a higher level than I deemed imaginable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News