ADVERTISEMENT

Regional perspective

brimur

Them Dawgs Is Hell Don't They
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2009
Fairfax, VA
I am struck when I’m on here how many people say things like “no self-respecting man can vote for Democrats,” or the like. And it really just occurred to me that y’all probably live in places where men heavily vote GOP so it colors your view a lot.

In northern VA where I live most men vote Dem (not by the same margin as women but still a majority) and even among white people only it is still pretty evenly split with the GOP having a small advantage. That was surprising to me when I moved up here (raised in Habersham County, Georgia- where everybody was a Republican before it was “cool”) but the bottom line is that men are not monolithic across the country. Many of my neighbors are white dudes in the military- and they vote Democratic. Just a different regional culture.

I am struck when I’m on here how many people say things like “no self-respecting man can vote for Democrats,” or the like. And it really just occurred to me that y’all probably live in places where men heavily vote GOP so it colors your view a lot.

In northern VA where I live most men vote Dem (not by the same margin as women but still a majority) and even among white people only it is still pretty evenly split with the GOP having a small advantage. That was surprising to me when I moved up here (raised in Habersham County, Georgia- where everybody was a Republican before it was “cool”) but the bottom line is that men are not monolithic across the country. Many of my neighbors are white dudes in the military- and they vote Democratic. Just a different regional culture.
For sure. Which is why the electoral college makes sense. We would be the United States of New York and California without it.

Sure white men vote for the whacked out leftist party. At this point they must be voting Dem if:

- they are in the "technocrat" class and believe it benefits them
- it is out of habit
- to fit in with others around them
-the identify as on of the Left's "protected groups"
- they have been brainwashed to hate the country
- they are ignorant.

Anyone paying attention to the DIE implementation in corporate America, the concerted effort to institute the 1619 project and calling every white man a "racist" if they don't bend the knee, would not vote for those people unless they fit into one of the above categories.

Sure white men vote for the whacked out leftist party. At this point they must be voting Dem if:

- they are in the "technocrat" class and believe it benefits them
- it is out of habit
- to fit in with others around them
-the identify as on of the Left's "protected groups"
- they have been brainwashed to hate the country
- they are ignorant.

Anyone paying attention to the DIE implementation in corporate America, the concerted effort to institute the 1619 project and calling every white man a "racist" if they don't bend the knee, would not vote for those people unless they fit into one of the above categories.
Why do I picture you screaming this and spitting a little bit on those around you?

DGAS about the party, just the policies and who will keep me and family safe, fat and happy - monetarily speaking.

Last edited:

Whoah are you trying to tell us that bureaucrats living in Washington who get their livelihoods from the government vote democrat?

Shocked Futurama GIF

Whoah are you trying to tell us that bureaucrats living in Washington who get their livelihoods from the government vote democrat?

Shocked Futurama GIF
No Im telling you that military, defense contractors, and the intel community do. Half of my neighborhood is literally military or very recently retired and working in the defense industry.

I did well under Obama, I did well under Trump, and I’m doing well under Biden. I guess I dont need a politician to make my livelihood.
Me too….. and I guess I ain’t dade yet. But my dime was worth more than a dime under Trump, Wish I could say that about Biden. Wages hasn’t kept up with inflation & the border doesn’t give me the warm & fuzzies.

Of the 3, did better under Trump.

Too many unknowns about KAMALA. I know what Trump can do.

I’m glad to hear that those who make their living off of the federal largesse are voting for people who will spend more money on federal largesse.

This is my surprised face.

I actually am a liberal that supports the electoral college.
Wow! Delaware, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Wyoming and Idaho have far more influence than they deserve.
I think Cobb County Georgia has 200,000 more population than the state of Wyoming.

• Haha
Reactions: cherrydawg
I’m glad to hear that those who make their living off of the federal largesse are voting for people who will spend more money on federal largesse.

This is my surprised face.
When did the Republicans become anti-military? Because that is by far the major industry here, besides Amazon and Capital One Bank. Every major defense contractor is here.

Wow! Delaware, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Wyoming and Idaho have far more influence than they deserve.
I think Cobb County Georgia has 200,000 more population than the state of Wyoming.
The electoral college helps ensure that the candidate that wins has the broadest support if not the deepest. It is a clever way to stave off separatist movements and civil wars. That said, Trump or any president that wins without popular support, should be embarrassed.

For sure. Which is why the electoral college makes sense. We would be the United States of New York and California without it.
Friend, populations shift. Texas and Florida together are 52 million now. NY and Cali are 58 million. Not a gargantuan difference.

Might I suggest that at some point, with the growth of non white families (birth rates, not immigration) you will have to make some pivot to reach across the aisle. This was tried by GWB, McCain, Romney and some politicians like Rubio and Haley. While some were open to it, majority white districts in many places across the country said "No way!!" and so here we are. It's a battle that will be ultimately lost without a change, unless of course we decide we no longer want to allow the citizens to make the choice.

BTW, Mr Vance's want to give people with more children more votes would actually give more power to people of color.

• Haha
The electoral college helps ensure that the candidate that wins has the broadest support if not the deepest. It is a clever way to stave off separatist movements and civil wars. That said, Trump or any president that wins without popular support, should be embarrassed.
The popular vote means absolutely nothing in this country. It doesn’t matter, it’s just something for the talking heads on TV to discuss. The country and constitution was specifically designed to not be ruled by a popular vote.

The only way that changes is a constitutional amendment which ain’t happening.

The popular vote means absolutely nothing in this country. It doesn’t matter, it’s just something for the talking heads on TV to discuss. The country and constitution was specifically designed to not be ruled by a popular vote.

It does to some extent. You're not gonna win enough electoral votes if you're only getting 35% of the population to vote for you, but I know what you're getting at.

What the popular vote is telling you though is Republicans are in trouble. They can't keep seeing that stay where it is now and keep having success in elections. Gerrymandering congress can stave it off, but at some point, even that won't work. I honestly would like two strong parties. We have neither right now. Strong parties don't change their candidate a few months before the Nov. election and strong parties don't run a failed candidate and one so polarizing that he drives just as many to the polls to vote against him as for him.

The clear sign for the Democrats that Clinton was weak was that Sanders had so much success without any major backing. But Republicans bought into her as strong thinking Trump has to be incredible if he beat her. Just not the case. A strong candidate beats Biden four years ago. A strong candidate isn't in a dead heat with a candidate that just assumed the lead role a month ago.

Still room if you wanna unify.

Reactions: TimberRidgeDawg
It does to some extent. You're not gonna win enough electoral votes if you're only getting 35% of the population to vote for you, but I know what you're getting at.

What the popular vote is telling you though is Republicans are in trouble. They can't keep seeing that stay where it is now and keep having success in elections. Gerrymandering congress can stave it off, but at some point, even that won't work. I honestly would like two strong parties. We have neither right now. Strong parties don't change their candidate a few months before the Nov. election and strong parties don't run a failed candidate and one so polarizing that he drives just as many to the polls to vote against him as for him.

The clear sign for the Democrats that Clinton was weak was that Sanders had so much success without any major backing. But Republicans bought into her as strong thinking Trump has to be incredible if he beat her. Just not the case. A strong candidate beats Biden four years ago. A strong candidate isn't in a dead heat with a candidate that just assumed the lead role a month ago.

Still room if you wanna unify.
Oof! The most gerrymandered districts in the US are almost all for Democrat advantage.

Oof! The most gerrymandered districts in the US are almost all for Democrat advantage.
Well, of course friend. That's the major point I was trying to make there. You have a good evening, my fellow American.

Buddy, the federal courts just sent Alabama’s redistricting plan back TWICE for trying to cram every black person in the state into 1 district. There are places here where the district was the width of the interstate to connect two black areas together. This state is 27% black, but had only one congressional district that was majority black. Y’all have GOT to stop blaming democrats for every damn thing that does or does not happen in this country. Take your damn tinfoil hats off.

Buddy, the federal courts just sent Alabama’s redistricting plan back TWICE for trying to cram every black person in the state into 1 district. There are places here where the district was the width of the interstate to connect two black areas together. This state is 27% black, but had only one congressional district that was majority black. Y’all have GOT to stop blaming democrats for every damn thing that does or does not happen in this country. Take your damn tinfoil hats off.
I agree with you and understand your anger. I've given my anger up and am trying to reach across. Can't hurt.

• Haha

San Fran white its vote dim as well.

Friend, populations shift. Texas and Florida together are 52 million now. NY and Cali are 58 million. Not a gargantuan difference.

Might I suggest that at some point, with the growth of non white families (birth rates, not immigration) you will have to make some pivot to reach across the aisle. This was tried by GWB, McCain, Romney and some politicians like Rubio and Haley. While some were open to it, majority white districts in many places across the country said "No way!!" and so here we are. It's a battle that will be ultimately lost without a change, unless of course we decide we no longer want to allow the citizens to make the choice.

BTW, Mr Vance's want to give people with more children more votes would actually give more power to people of color.
The popular vote dynamic pushing more votes to NYC and LA is not one along racial lines. Even if it were, more minorities seek to be moving yo the republican ticket than ever before.

Look no further than Hollywood and rich coastal white folks moving democrat if you truly want to capture the popular v electoral difference widening. Wall Street. Silicon Valley.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven

nova is a group of gov employees block voting to maintain their jobs. same with the surrounding maryland counties.

There were a lot of things in the Constitution that are problematic. The three fifths compromise and certain provisions related to slavery weren’t overturned by the normal process but instead by the Civil War and a forced process of amendments.

The Constitution is generally a great document but people act like it’s a perfect document written by much wiser people than those alive today.

In reality everyone had to be on board and a lot of concessions were made that weren’t done necessarily because they were fair or wise but because they secured the necessary support.

It really is kind of crazy that a few thousand votes in a hand full of states can override a spread of millions it’s kind of crazy. It seems hard to argue that’s the best way ti do things. With thin margins it also can devalue 49 percent of voters in a state who didn’t go with the majority so it’s not just about New York or California dominating although this view fails to mention large states losing key Texas and Florida frequently.

There were a lot of things in the Constitution that are problematic. The three fifths compromise and certain provisions related to slavery weren’t overturned by the normal process but instead by the Civil War and a forced process of amendments.

The Constitution is generally a great document but people act like it’s a perfect document written by much wiser people than those alive today.

In reality everyone had to be on board and a lot of concessions were made that weren’t done necessarily because they were fair or wise but because they secured the necessary support.

It really is kind of crazy that a few thousand votes in a hand full of states can override a spread of millions it’s kind of crazy. It seems hard to argue that’s the best way ti do things. With thin margins it also can devalue 49 percent of voters in a state who didn’t go with the majority so it’s not just about New York or California dominating although this view fails to mention large states losing key Texas and Florida frequently.
The electoral college is actually quite brilliant. A true democracy is a mobocracy and also disenfranchises not only most of the states but most cities within the larger states too. You could campaign in a handful of major cities and ignore the rest of the country. Or course, this also leads to a small group of cities making law for an entire country which is what you have in most democratic countries. The tail wags the dog.

The electoral college is actually quite brilliant. A true democracy is a mobocracy and also disenfranchises not only most of the states but most cities within the larger states too. You could campaign in a handful of major cities and ignore the rest of the country. Or course, this also leads to a small group of cities making law for an entire country which is what you have in most democratic countries. The tail wags the dog.
The electoral college is the only remaining process of American politics that in any way resembles how the country was run for the first 150 years of its existence.

So of course the left wingers would like to see it eradicated.

It must have been awesome back when governors got to appoint senators

No Im telling you that military, defense contractors, and the intel community do. Half of my neighborhood is literally military or very recently retired and working in the defense industry.
I know a lot of military who are not near DC who match up with what you are seeing. I would be amazed if it is not 85% or more democrat at and around DC. So where you are from plays a large part. Different regions have different priorities and have different value systems typically.
How did you vote when you were in North GA?

Last edited:
The electoral college is the only remaining process of American politics that in any way resembles how the country was run for the first 150 years of its existence.

So of course the left wingers would like to see it eradicated.

It must have been awesome back when governors got to appoint senators
Lets petition Georgia to be able to go back to that rule, if not we have to wait 2 more years before Kemp boots Oshkosh B'gosh. And boot him he's going to do by a similar margin he did to Abrams.........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT