ADVERTISEMENT

Roquan Smith rumor

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
Do not get your hopes up. BUT that being said I feel we have to pass along a rumor 4 of us have heard from different sources.

The rumor is this: That Roquan Smith has re-signed a lease at The Mark, a luxury apartment complex in Athens. This supposedly indicates the fact that he plans to return to UGA for his senior season and skip the NFL for a year.

Reasons not to believe it:
1. Smith looks to be a first-round draft pick
2. See No. 1
3. We have also heard for months that he is going to the NFL.
4. Even by Kirby's standards of only leaving early if you are a "first round pick or high second round pick," Smith makes the cut.

Reasons it might have some traction.
1. Smith wants his degree badly.
2. See No. 1. This was emphasized by multiple sources. This is beyond lip service.
3. Speaking of sources, when I mentioned this in the UGASports group chat, thinking I would be laughed out of there, other staffers here have heard the same thing (i.e. Roquan might be staying, not the re-signing the lease issue).
4. Apparently you have to re-sign leases early. I figured they went summer to summer but I understand you do this earlier than that.
5. We have heard the same from multiple different sources.
6. Smith is not exactly hurting for money.
7. UGA has money that it can use for an Injury Insurance policy and 'loss of draft status' policy meaning if Smith gets a high Draft prediction, comes back, but then falls in the next Draft, the policy will kick in.

Conclusion:

My journalistic instinct is that this is such a hopeful rumor (Roquan staying) that it is spreading like wildfire and we are catching word of it in the echo chamber.

One source indicated that for now, Roquan plans to stay but will of course get his Draft grade and it will be hard for him to turn down the 1st Round. But if anybody could and is just different enough to do so, it is Roquan.

We see false rumors every day. Heck, we spend hours some days chasing down something false with nothing to report. We never mention them on the board. It is pointless to do so. And rumors of guys leaving or staying are rampant during this time of year. But what threw me was four of us hearing something similar just surprised me.

So again, don't get your hopes up. I still expect him to go the NFL. But if for some reason Smith decides to stay, applaud him not only for what he can do on the field, but for getting his degree and loving the game and Georgia so much he is willing to wait to cash in.

UPDATE SUNDAY: Per @Zabago - "I just called Roquan expecting to leave a message but he actually answered and he says is leaving although he hates to! He told me that Kirby and the other coaches have told him he should do what’s in his best long term interests but of course they want him to stay. He said he feels no pressure from the Coaches and has one thing foremost on his mind......winning a Natty!!! I told him we all want him to stay but that he needs to do what is best for him and his family."

UPDATE MONDAY: So we were not losing our minds. I got this from a student.

"I'm a student here at UGA and have gotten to know Roquan pretty well over the last year.... I was over at their apartment a few days ago and told all of us there (less than 10 people) that he had resigned and his plan as of now is that he wants to come back. He loves this campus and being the "big man on campus" that everyone is friends with. I know its nothing earth shattering or new but it backs up what you reported that you've been hearing."

So it sounds to me he did tell some friends and players he was going to return but likely has rethought about it and is going to the NFL per his conversation with Zabago. Or he could be torn. Either way that makes sense why we started hearing rumors of there being a slight chance he returns.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News