ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Saturday pre-scrimmage practice report: What we saw [SIX SETS OF OBSERVATIONS]

JedMay

Pillar of the DawgVent
Staff
May 24, 2021
DASH

Afternoon all.
Georgia is holding its first scrimmage of the fallp and the media was allowed to catch a brief snippet of warmups (a little less than eight minutes).
As usual, UGASports was there en mass, so we've got a ton of notes coming.
Here's what I saw.

...As expected, we did not see running back Kendall Milton after we understand tweaked his hamstring the other day. We will check with head coach Kirby Smart when he speaks to us later on. Thursday night, Milton's father Chris tweeted out that his son "was fine," but later took the post down.
...We also did not see right guard Tate Ratledge during our time at the stadium. We understand Ratledge's foot has been sore, as he he's coming back from the Lisfranc injury that cost him all put four snaps last year. In his place, we saw Xavier Truss and Jared Wilson both get reps with the ones.
...Obviously, did not see Arian Smith (ankle) out there.
...With Milton out, running back drills were led by Kenny McIntosh, Daijun Edwards, Andrew Paul and Branson Robinson. Robinson is known for his physique, and rightfully so, but Paul is no small guy himself. Very impressive.
...AD Mitchell, Ladd McConkey, Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint, Jackson Meeks, Dillon Bell and Kearis Jackson (no particular order) seem to be the main group of wide receivers.
...Saw Mykel Williams running with the second unit during warmups. Main guys up front on the DL appear to be Jalen Carter, Zion Logue, Nazir Stackhouse, Williams, Tyrione Ingram-Dawkins and Tramel Walthour. Plenty of solid talent behind them, though.
...MJ Sherman stood out to me in the brief time I watch. He seems the solid No. 3 guy outside behind Nolan Smith and Robert Beal Jr.
...Tykee Smith seems to be practicing full go but caught an earful from Smart as the periods changed for not hustling enough to Smart's liking in regard to joining the rest of his group.

Much more to come.

JED MAY

We didn't see Kendall Milton out there during the media viewing period. Radi reported that he's dealing with a hamstring issue.

In his absence, the running back order was as follows: Kenny McIntosh, Daijun Edwards, Branson Robinson, Andrew Paul.

The backs worked on catching routes out of the backfield while we were out there. Monken noted that McIntosh in particular will have to pick up some of the receiving slack left by James Cook. During the open period, McIntosh dropped one pass that hit him right in the bread basket.

Also, freshman Andrew Paul is very big and a tall kid. Branson Robinson gets the accolades for being a physical specimen, but Paul is no slouch in his own right.

Stetson Bennett missed Kearis Jackson on one out route early in the period. The QBs, WRs, and tight ends were running routes on air, so not a whole lot to see there.

We also didn't see Arian Smith. Radi reported earlier this week that Smith is dealing with an ankle injury. When the receivers took to running routes in pairs toward the end of the period, the rotation appeared as:

AD Mitchell/Ladd McConkey
Jackson Meeks/Braxton Hicks
Dillon Bell/Marcus Rosemy/Jacksaint

Bell had one nice catch and toe tap on an out route near the sideline.

I also saw Xavier Truss (left guard) and Jared Wilson (right guard) rotate in with the first-team offensive line at the end of the period.

As media were walking out of Sanford Stadium, Kirby Smart lit into Tykee Smith for a lack of effort.

"You're walking again!" Smart yelled over the PA. "You're the only guy walking!.. I can't stand it!.... Either wake up or get out!"

DAYNE YOUNG

Athens is buzzing with students moving in. Fall semester classes begin on Wednesday.

Kirby Smart was not on the microphone for the period open to media eyes. His playlist might have been. The second half of our time in Sanford Stadium was accompanied by “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It” by Will Smith.

I spent the session focused on Georgia’s defensive backs. The first drill featured cornerbacks and safeties. Four players as a time drop back and react to a would-be ball carrier. Though this should not be viewed as a depth chart, here is the order in which they went (from left to right):

1st: Kelee Ringo, Dan Jackson, Javon Bullard, William Poole

2nd: Christopher Smith, Patrick Taylor, David Daniel-Sisavanh, Daylen Everette

3rd: Nyland Green, Jamier Moten, Kamari Lassiter, Malaki Starks

The most animosity from Will Muschamp came when a ball boy did not have the football ready for the drill. As you can expect, that doesn’t fly at a UGA practice.

Kirby Smart was keeping an eye on DBs and pulled Jaheim Singletary over for a one-on-one chat.

Safeties moved a different part of the field and cornerbacks stayed.

The second drill I saw was a run, react, and catch a pass for an interception drill. The order on this drill: Kelee Ringo, Nyland Green, Kamari Lassiter, Julian Humphrey, Daylen Everette, Jaheim Singletary, Jamier Moten, Joseph Daniels.

Kelee Ringo
was stellar on each rep. Whatever superlatives he has gotten, it is not enough. He is an elite football player.

Nyland Green made an impressive one-handed snag. He cradled to his shoulder pad for a nice catch away from his body. Daylen Everette dropped a catchable ball. Jaheim Singletary missed one on the next rep, but it was a bad throw from Fran Brown. He may have been a star quarterback at Camden High School in New Jersey, but he ain’t now.

Kamari Lassiter had to be corrected for lining up too close to the line of scrimmage on a drill.

We all heard Kirby Smart call out Tykee Smith for not hustling. He followed that with one of his mantras: “energy, effort, toughness.

We scurried off and left the rest of the viewing to invited Magill Society members.

RADI NABULSI

We only had enough time to see part of one period but hey, beats nothing.
I watched the offensive line go through pin and pull drills and the like.
The first guy who stood out among all of them? The guy you ask, “Who the hell is that?” No. 65 - Amarius Mims.
We were told last night that Jared Wilson took over for Tate Ratledge as the latter's foot was bothering him. I mentioned that one player was having foot pains earlier in the week. Well that was Tate. He's tough but at some point, you aren't making it better. We didn't do a "What we are hearing post" as we wanted to see if it was more than just a one-day issue.

Earnest Greene was not out there either.

Here’s how the offensive line rotated:

FIRST TEAM
Left tackle: Broderick Jones
Left guard: Xavier Truss
Center: Sedrick Van Pran
Right guard: Jared Wilson
Right tackle: Warren McClendon

SECOND TEAM
Left tackle: Austin Blaske
Left guard: Devin Willock
Center: Warren Ericson
Right guard: Sedrick Van Pran
Right tackle: Amarius Mims

THIRD TEAM
Left tackle: Aloiu Bah? *
Left guard: Drew Bobo
Center: Dylan Fairchild
Right guard: Micah Morris
Right tackle: Jacob Hood

*not certain as was tough to make out the jersey number

Running back rotation as mentioned by Jed:
Kenny McIntosh
Daijun Edwards
Branson Robinson
Sevaughn Clark
Cash Jones
Andrew Paul

Kirby Smart quotes, verbatim:

“Tykee, you are walking again! You are the only guy walking. Wake up or get gone, I can’t stand it. Wake up!

“Energy, effort and toughness! Show me now!”

PATRICK GARBIN

From the number of cars in the surrounding parking lots, I assumed there would be a huge turnout for today’s scrimmage. Yet, at least when the media got to view leading up to the scrimmage, I’d estimate there were a couple-few hundred spectators in the stands.

I watched the defensive line for the first half of our eight-minute viewing. When I observed, which would have been a drill or two prior to when Dash observed the rotation, the rotation defensively up front was as follows: Jalen Carter, Zion Logue, and Tramel Walthour with the first team; and Bill Norton, Mykel Williams, and Nazir Stackhouse on the second. Jonathan Jefferson and Bear Alexander were repping third. After assistant Tray Scott got on to one newcomer for what appeared to be a lack of effort on a particular rep, he promptly praised Williams for his effort. I specifically watched Williams for several reps—and, I’ll say this, there might not be another player along the defensive line who gives as much effort in practice as he does. And, speaking of impressive, personally, I really like to watch Scott work with his defensive linemen. His attention to detail and thoroughness in his direction, explanation, etc., is unique.

At inside linebacker, nothing really stood out. Although junior Trezman Marshall not only seemed unlimited in the drills, but he looked really good—quick feet and athletic.

While watching the inside linebackers, I couldn’t help but to see a fantastic interception made by Nyland Green. The redshirt freshman made an incredible effort just to reach an errant pass, only to then bat the ball to himself for the pick. In the few practices we’ve observed, Green has looked really good to me.

As indicated before, Smart really jumped on Tykee Smith as we watched. According to the head coach, Smith was “the only guy walking!”

DAVE McMAHON

I had the outside linebackers which of course were the furthest away from where were allowed to stand... so I'll give you the best I got...

As reported earlier this camp, Jarvis Jones is out there watching this group (Jarvis had 13.5 sacks in 2011 and a school record 14.5 sacks in 2012 - if any of these players come close to that this season - Georgia fans will be pretty darn happy)

They were doing a lot of speed and agility drills for the most part

All the reports the Dash, Radi, Patrick, Jed and Dayne have given you in the past are true... MJ Sherman looks real strong - plus I noticed Marvin Jones, Jr had real wide shoulders (he did not look like a typical Georgia freshmen from years' past). Also, Darris Smith looked pretty tall compared to the others (maybe cause the distance, who knows - he is listed at 6'5"). Nolan Smith was running hard on every drill.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News