ADVERTISEMENT

Savannah

acndog

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2002
I have very close friends (empty nesters) from Texas A&M who are coming to see the Clemson/aTm game. They are going to visit Savannah after the game. They are looking for ideas for a boutique/bed & breakfast in Savannah - any recommendations? Also, great restaurant recommendations are appreciated. TIA

Many B&B downtown. I don't like the noise. There are several hotels on Bay St across from the River St bars and shops. I like the Hyatt on River St.

I think you'll get a few names on the restaurants. There are one or two.

B&B, I've only stayed at the Savannah Bed and Breakfast Inn. It's like a hybrid I guess. Good location, cool rooms, and sometimes they have Groupon.

Reactions: acndog
Savannah is inundated with hotel now.the new Perry Lane hotel is hot
Hyatt has its advantages
Gastonian is the best B&B
Literally 100 hotels downtown now Everything is in walking distance and prices may vary considerably
PinkHouse /Sundae Cafe at Tybee / Alligator Soul/ Olympic Cafe/ 45South / Vic on the River are restaurants to know about
And encourage going to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch

I have very close friends (empty nesters) from Texas A&M who are coming to see the Clemson/aTm game. They are going to visit Savannah after the game. They are looking for ideas for a boutique/bed & breakfast in Savannah - any recommendations? Also, great restaurant recommendations are appreciated. TIA

Tell them to go to Charleston instead

Savannah is inundated with hotel now.the new Perry Lane hotel is hot
Hyatt has its advantages
Gastonian is the best B&B
Literally 100 hotels downtown now Everything is in walking distance and prices may vary considerably
PinkHouse /Sundae Cafe at Tybee / Alligator Soul/ Olympic Cafe/ 45South / Vic on the River are restaurants to know about
And encourage going to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch

Alligator Soul!! Agreed.

Reactions: meandjr and acndog
We just got back from there. We stayed at the mansion at Forsyth park. Loved it. Quiet and walking distance to river st.

Native Savannahian here. Grew up there, left for 14 years, and came back 25 years ago.

I'm a fan of the Gastonian and the Kehoe House, as far as B&B's go. The Perry Lane, the Andaz (on City Market) and the Mansion on Forsyth Park are my favorite hotels. The Hyatt is centrally located downtown, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just another Hyatt (seen one, seen them all).

As far as restaurants go, I love the Pink House (historic; George Washington had a drink in the basement bar once. Get the she crab soup), Vic's on the River (where you can see a map drawn on one wall by Sherman's officers when they occupied the city in 1864; try the fried green tomatoes, and they have a truly outsanding meat loaf), Elizabeth's on 37th, Alligator Soul, Local 1110 (near Forsyth Park), The Vault, Cotton and Rye, the new Husk restaurant (sister to the one in Charleston), The Grey, and Treylor Park. For burgers, look at the Green Truck Pub and the Crystal Beer Parlor. Spanky's on River street has great pizza, as does Vinnie Van Gogo's in City Market. And for sandwiches, I'd go to Zunzi's, with South African-themed selections that are to die for. It was recently rated as the best sandwich place in Georgia. Get the Conquistodor. It's like nothing you've ever had anywhere.

These are all downtown. There are good places to eat elsewhere (Tybee, Southside), but there are so many good places in the historic district within walking distance that you really don't need to venture outside the downtown area.

Look at Cotton Sail for a Hotel. It’s fairly new and reasonably priced. Good rooftop bar overlooking the river. Pink House is great restaurant. The others already mentioned are as well.

Hyatt is tired. Location is overrated too. Much better spots a few blocks away from River St that have already been mentioned. Perry Lane, The Mansion, and others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT