ADVERTISEMENT

SEC reportedly denying Golson's transfer waiver is ridiculous...

Coyote89

War Daddy
May 29, 2001
Dacula, GA
uga.rivals.com
First let me acknowledge that there is no guarantee Golson would have chosen UGA or any other SEC school, nor is there any guarantee that he would be an upgrade from the QBs we already have on campus. However, the reported stance by the SEC that it would not have approved the transfer is ridiculous.

They routinely let guys who are kicked off another team for criminal behavior transfer to an SEC school, yet they won't let a graduate of an elite university like Notre Dame transfer? If he already served his suspension, got re-admitted by ND, and then completed his coursework and graduated, why should any school or conference have a problem with it? If that situation doesn't qualify for a waiver, I can't imagine what would.

Finally, they are totally misinterpreting the spirit and intent of the rule. It was created to prevent players from transferring as a means to avoid punishment at their current program, not to prevent successful graduates who have already served their punishment from transferring.

Again, we have no way of knowing if Golson would have ended up at UGA, nor do we know if it would have benefited our program to land him. But the fact that we backed off because we knew the SEC wouldn't approve the transfer makes my blood boil. If our coaches wanted this to happen, the SEC had no business standing in the way. Chad Kelly can transfer to Ole' Miss whereas Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, and Tray Matthews can all transfer to Auburn, but Everette Golson can't transfer to UGA? You've got to be kidding me. What about the fact that Jovon Robinson just signed with Auburn despite being found to have a bogus HS transcript a couple years ago? The double standards are endless and truly maddening. It just seems to me that if either the SEC or NCAA has any say in the matter, these decisions ALWAYS seem to go against UGA, and I'm beyond fed up with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News