ADVERTISEMENT

Seems like

DonutDawg

Vent Peacemaker
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
the chickens are coming home to roost on the Searels hire. I warned that it was not a good thing to drag his ass back to Athens.
I was ridiculed because he recruited a bunch of OLs in the '24 class but we'll have to wait to see what that class does in the future.

But if you look at those first Searels classes, they aren't good.
2022:
Greene- the only good OL in the class
Alou Bah- gone (not good enough to play here)
Griffin effing Scroggs- LOL, what a joke
Jacob Hood- gone (not good enough to play here)
Drew Bobo- backup, may never start

2023:
Freeling- only good one so far
Hughley- seems like a project, hasn't played yet
Kelton Smith- gone
Joshua Miller- gone (not good enough to play here)
Meriweather- big time project, who knows if he'll play

These first 2 look eerily similar to Richt-era OL classes.
I'm not going to do the 24 class since they just got here & are true FR. We'll see how they pan out but if that class is anything like his first 2, there will be a bunch of busts & transfers. I'm predicting at least one (Toliver) will go the way of Bah & Scroggs because they didn't belong on a UGA roster.

I was told that, even though Searels wasn't a recruiter, he's an incredible OL coach. Yet the OL has gotten whipped for most of the season so far when it was supposed to be the best in the Kirby era. The OL was solid last year but he was also working with elite OLs (Mims, SVP, etc) that he didn't recruit, his predecessor did.

I'm just saying, after that OL debacle in Lexington, it's still looking like a bad hire.

I wish it could get turned around.

And on an unrelated note --- don't get me started on WR recruiting... Morissette, Zeed Haynes, CJ Smith, Speer, Jackson Meeks, Tyler Williams aren't helping matters. If not for the transfer portal we'd be dead in the water. But we've got to recruit good WRs one way or another.

As Kirby knows, recruiting matters. Those two units haven't had great recruiting overall for a while. We're suffering from the results of that now it seems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.