ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Some notes from today's practice session ... y'all may think I've lost my mind...

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
...but just from the standpoint of athleticism, this is the most athletic Georgia basketball team since Jim Harrik's final season. We'll see how they do; I honestly think you'll have to go that far back to find a team with his much athleticism as this one.
Other notes:
...Asa Newell - The hype is real. Newell's ability around the rim, in transition, as a shooter, defender is special. Newell's got a neat little sky hook you'll need to see. Also had a couple of alley-oops.
...Rim protectors - Between Newell, Somto Cyril, Justin Abson, Dillon James, and RJ Godfrey - it's hard to imagine Georgia having the same issues here than they've had the past two seasons.
....While we were there, they had an interesting drill where they'd place an orange "Bubble" in the basket. The balls would bounce off, and really force the players to react when the ball came off.
...Somto does a good job of holding the ball high when he gets a pass. Showed some good down low moves.
...Savo Dregzic made some of his great passes that Coach White was talking about.
...DeShayne Montgomery is going to be a BIG asset when he's eligible. Very vocal player, who is going to be a nice perimeter threat.
...Silas Demary Jr seems even more in control than last season.
...Justin Abson is a better player than I thought. Very strong defender; great passes for a big man.
...But the biggest takeaway for me was the five. Guys were having fun. Asa always seems to be smiling, talking it up; ditto for Montgomery, RJ Godfrey. This looks like a team that truly enjoys being around each other. Guys push each other, they encourage each other.
Looking forward to the season even more after seeing them today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.