ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Some thoughts...

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
It doesn't take a baseball genius to realize Josh Brooks is going to have an easy decision to make once the season is complete. There's going to be a coaching change at the end of the year. I don't think there's any doubt about that. More on that later.
It's been a while since I've seen a team look as deflated as what I saw after the game tonight, even going back to the final days of Robert Sapp and David Perno.
I actually feel bad for Scott Stricklin. He’s a good guy, has always been very professional in his dealings with me and has been a rare head coach that I can simply text or call for information. Unfortunately, the situation is what it is.
When you cannot execute the task of throwing the ball over the plate consistently ... I don't even know what to say about that.
The following is my opinion on the way it sits and what I think will happen:
1. There will not be a coaching change before the year is complete. Brooks did not make an in-season change last year with basketball during that debacle, and I don't see him doing it here, either. I just don't think that's an option. I still believe this is a good offense, sans some guys pressing due to the pitching issues and feeling they've got to score 10 runs a game .. but the pitching is just so bad right now... This may be the worst staff I've seen. A lot of it's mental ... whatever the reason, there's absolutely no confidence in what's happening on the mound right now and it's permeated the entire team.
2. So, what does Georgia need in a head coach? My opinion - they need to bring in someone with sand in their pants, someone who has enjoyed success at the Power 5 level.
No more of this bringing in somebody from a smaller school, who "if he only had the support, no telling what he could do."
No - hire either A, a proven head coach from the Power 5 level, or B, a top-flight assistant from the SEC, preferably with top recruiting skills. There are those types guys out there.
3. Follow through with the facilities - get them done sooner, rather than later. Hiring the right coach is obviously the bigger deal, but I can guarandamntee you that whoever is approached for this job is going to want to know for damn sure that these facility improvements we've been talking about, ie the pitching lab, new hitting areas, etc, are followed through on and that the work gets underway as soon as this season is over.
I agree with everyone on this board. There's absolutely no reason why Georgia should not have a baseball program that makes annual appearances in the NCAA tournament and on a good year make a CWS run.
It can be done. The powers that be just need to make it happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News