ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Starlink broadband internet now available... Anyone signed up yet?

BeachDawg

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Athens, GA
I signed up to receive notifications once the service was available and just got the email this week that the service is operational.

If anyone recalls, I moved from intown here in Athens to some acreage just outside of town that had few broadband options. I ended up discovering TMoblie's home internet service and have been very happy with it. I consistently get speeds around 120-160 mbps, which has been more than adequate for me with very, very few service interruptions.

The up front cost to sign up is $99 today... with a charge of $499 for equipment that is apparently not due until I actually receive the equipment sometime in the middle of this year. Then $99/month thereafter.

Just curious if anyone else is taking the plunge with it? I'd like to hear how it turns out. I was planning to try it regardless to just experiment with it a little, but obviously don't want to spend $600 just to "try" it, especially when I'm happy with my current service.

Reactions: LrgK9
I signed up to receive notifications once the service was available and just got the email this week that the service is operational.

If anyone recalls, I moved from intown here in Athens to some acreage just outside of town that had few broadband options. I ended up discovering TMoblie's home internet service and have been very happy with it. I consistently get speeds around 120-160 mbps, which has been more than adequate for me with very, very few service interruptions.

The up front cost to sign up is $99 today... with a charge of $499 for equipment that is apparently not due until I actually receive the equipment sometime in the middle of this year. Then $99/month thereafter.

Just curious if anyone else is taking the plunge with it? I'd like to hear how it turns out. I was planning to try it regardless to just experiment with it a little, but obviously don't want to spend $600 just to "try" it, especially when I'm happy with my current service.
Just ordered mine the other day. I'll let you know. Live on Mobile bay currently and my internet is terrrible. So it has to be better.

I would check out the r/starlink sub-reddit. There's a good bit of info from speed tests, installation, issues etc.

Reactions: BeachDawg and LrgK9

No way I'm leaving tmobile's 50 bucks a month internet for a satellite internet that discloses that sometimes you will have no connections at all and is twice as much money.

Reactions: UGABartowDawg
Do you have any data caps with T-Mobile? I have att fixed wireless internet (uses att cell signal) and my plan allows for 350 GB per month and charges $10 for every 50GB thereafter. If they don’t add add any data caps, then starlink may be an improvement on what I already have. Since I moved out to the woods in 2008, I’ve went from hughesnet to viasat/exede to what I have now. Each change in providers was a major improvement on what I previously had.

Do you have any data caps with T-Mobile? I have att fixed wireless internet (uses att cell signal) and my plan allows for 350 GB per month and charges $10 for every 50GB thereafter. If they don’t add add any data caps, then starlink may be an improvement on what I already have. Since I moved out to the woods in 2008, I’ve went from hughesnet to viasat/exede to what I have now. Each change in providers was a major improvement on what I previously had.

im with Viasat in NC. Had to leave ATT as they became worse not better. 150$ a month unlimited & great speed.
but if starlink works, I’m good for a 50$ a month difference.

I’ve had TMobile for a few months and it’s been great. We had no internet options until about a year ago. The internet we were using was about 15 mbps for $100.00. With TMobile we are getting 170-225 for $50.00.

Reactions: BeachDawg
We put down deposit for our cabin in the woods near Saltilla river. There are no landline options available so we are hopeful that this might work.

Is the T-mobile service good enough for streaming TV? I am with Hughes net right now and I would be just as well off to burn a pile of money every month. We live directly in the middle of civilization but also on a piece of land where the driveway is 2000 feet long. I don’t have hardwired Internet So we use a very expensive Hughes net as our base layer for the minor things it takes to run a household but everyone ends up using the data from their cell phone and 2 jet packs when we need actual Internet speeds that don’t make you insane. When you add it all up my monthly expenditure is ridiculous.

I used 800gb on tmobile and no throttling the month I had covid and was home for 2 weeks. I wouldn't suggest that every month but there was no throttling.

Is the T-mobile service good enough for streaming TV? I am with Hughes net right now and I would be just as well off to burn a pile of money every month. We live directly in the middle of civilization but also on a piece of land where the driveway is 2000 feet long. I don’t have hardwired Internet So we use a very expensive Hughes net as our base layer for the minor things it takes to run a household but everyone ends up using the data from their cell phone and 2 jet packs when we need actual Internet speeds that don’t make you insane. When you add it all up my monthly expenditure is ridiculous.

try Viasat

Does it come with one of those motorized boxes that will turn your outside antenna? We had one growing up but because my dad didn’t set it to true north, the 3 channels it would get were never quite dialed in.

• Haha
Reactions: SamboDawg and LrgK9

My TMobile is better than some folks cable internet. Maybe not as fast as I get 50-80mbps but I haven't lost connection in the 6 months I've had it. I have three kids and we can all stream hd at the same time. I am pretty close to a tower but if you have TMobile service it will smoke viasat or hughesnet. And zero down and 50 a month.

Reactions: BeachDawg
No way I'm leaving tmobile's 50 bucks a month internet for a satellite internet that discloses that sometimes you will have no connections at all and is twice as much money.

Yeah, my TMobile has been great like I said above. So I'm not likely going to find a better deal, especially for $50 like you say. I'm in the perfect place for TMobile. We live less than a mile from their tower and my upstairs window where the modem sits has an unobstructed direct line of sight to the tower.

So it works great for us. I consistently get speeds around 150 mbps for $50. When I lived intown in Athens I was paying comcast $100/month for 200 mbps and I really don't notice any performance difference between the two, but obviously love the cheaper TMobile price.

No data caps currently with Tmobile. We stream everything... 2 kids with ipads, 4k movies, we have whole-home Alexa and use it to stream music throughout the house daily. So lots of data transfer. Plus, Tmobile doesnt throttle your upstream data either. So when you want to upload a large file it flies. I routinely get 70 mbps upload speeds.

See my response right above to Silvercreek though. I live in the perfect situation to get optimum service from Tmobile. I cant say if everyone will experience speeds like I do. Also, I know that Tmobile only provides service to customers who live within a certain range of one of their towers, so its also possible that you might not be able to get it. But you can check it out on their website... Just make sure you google Tmobile Home Internet.... and not a Tmobile hotspot. The hotspot device is like a mobile hotspot attached to your cell phone account and limited by your cell phone service rules and charges. This is Tmobile "Home Internet".

I’ve had TMobile for a few months and it’s been great. We had no internet options until about a year ago. The internet we were using was about 15 mbps for $100.00. With TMobile we are getting 170-225 for $50.00.

You're getting even better speeds than we are. Thats great. Its an awesome service. We love it.

Absolutely. You have to live somewhat close to a tower though in order to get the service. Contact them and find out. You can put your address in online and see if you can get it. Google, "Tmobile home internet"

No data caps currently with Tmobile. We stream everything... 2 kids with ipads, 4k movies, we have whole-home Alexa and use it to stream music throughout the house daily. So lots of data transfer. Plus, Tmobile doesnt throttle your upstream data either. So when you want to upload a large file it flies. I routinely get 70 mbps upload speeds.

See my response right above to Silvercreek though. I live in the perfect situation to get optimum service from Tmobile. I cant say if everyone will experience speeds like I do. Also, I know that Tmobile only provides service to customers who live within a certain range of one of their towers, so its also possible that you might not be able to get it. But you can check it out on their website... Just make sure you google Tmobile Home Internet.... and not a Tmobile hotspot. The hotspot device is like a mobile hotspot attached to your cell phone account and limited by your cell phone service rules and charges. This is Tmobile "Home Internet".

Right. I am in similar situation with a tower close. I use the gateway they send and ethernet cable to a netgear router. Get crazy coverage this way. Seriously life changing since we didn't have internet at all before.

FYI try both you and your spouse's cell phone number when checking availability. For some reason mine said not in my area but my wife's worked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT