ADVERTISEMENT

Still about a month away, but this month's SEC Spring Meetings should be quite interesting...

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
From what I'm hearing, the "goal" is to have the schedule ironed out, and whether it will be eight SEC games or nine SEC games.
As you've probably read, there's still some disagreement. Personally, from what I'm hearing, it's ultimately going to be nine.
Remember, the league has already decided to move to one division...So, no more divisions.
Kirby Smart, btw, is for this (on no divisions)
“I think it will be good, it will make it more competitive. You’ll have a better chance to get the two best teams.” - Smart quote from last month

Back to the nine-game game schedule.

I've read comments that Nick Saban is against the nine-game conference game slate. It's actually the opposite. What Saban is concerned about is the permanent rivals. He's not the only one in that department There are other coaches who aren't too thrilled, either, and from what I understand, that's actually the biggest hangup over why we haven't gotten final word on what the league is going to do.
As for Coach Smart, when asked about the nine-game slate, he's got no problem. He also said a nine-game schedule would not prohibit him from wanting to schedule two Power 5 non-conference games because "that's what the fans want to see."
He's also not concerned about what schools would be Georgia's "permanent rivals."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News