ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Stony River steak house question

K_Walt32

13ack to 13ack Natty Champ
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2015
My 1 year anniversary is coming up soon so I’m thinking about taking my wife to Stony River for dinner. Anyone have a recommendation as to which one? I feel like the one in Duluth is the best “location” but wanted to see if someone here had personal experience. Thanks in advance!

I live a mile from Stoney river duluth. We have eaten there once. It’s solid and appropriately priced. Service was good.

Little alley in Roswell is definitely a step up but obviously more expensive. It’s great.

We went to Pampas Steakhouse recently and it’s close to Stoney river. It was excellent and I highly recommend. More pricey than Stoney though.

Reactions: Dawg 4:13
I’ve never been to Stoney River but may take my wife before the Braves game Friday. Is it good?

If you want a good steak for a great price, try Backwoods in Tallapoosa. It’s not too fancy but sure is good.

My 1 year anniversary is coming up soon so I’m thinking about taking my wife to Stony River for dinner. Anyone have a recommendation as to which one? I feel like the one in Duluth is the best “location” but wanted to see if someone here had personal experience. Thanks in advance!
You can do better than Stony River. Try Lobster Bar in Buckhead, seafood and Prime steaks. She gets lobster you get the strip. Uber down so both of you can enjoy few glasses of wine. Someone else suggested Little Ally, FAR better than Stony which is Choice cut steaks for Prime prices.

Reactions: seatonsdawgs
I agree with a lot of what's said above, but I would add New York Prime in Buckhead to the list. As Captain mentioned, Stony River is choice cuts of meat while NYP is all prime cuts - including the filet (even Hal's, which is otherwise great, only has choice filets).

Plus, they have a bar where you can smoke a cigar before or after your meal if you're in to that sort of thing (and, guess what? I am).

If you are looking in the Duluth area I would recommend Frankie's The Steakhouse on Sugarloaf by the arena. Great prime steaks, delicious sides and a really good wine list. Been here for business and personal and enjoyed it each time.

Best steak in ATL is at Hals..get the filet...not your ordinary filet

Reactions: cbpdawg
If you want a consistent, reliable and high quality steak...that is close to your house then yes. Stony River is good. It's hard to go wrong.

That said, the best steakhouse in this city is Hal's on Old Ivy. The Filet is the best. It's better than Bone's or Chops or Little Alley. Check the menu online, it's not a big price difference. The cocktails are probably more.

If your issue is geography, then take Uber.

If it's the weekend, Hal's has an old school piano player / singer in the downstairs bar.

Bone's is stuffy. It's where you go on an expense account with the guys from the office. Hal's is outrageous.

I can't sing the praises of this place enough. We went for our anniversary a few weeks ago and it was amazing. It's a little out of the way for those in the Atlanta area, but well worth the drive.

Yep, I live in Buford. Have had a steak at all the usual suspects in Atlanta, and honestly, Cotton Calf has been my best experience.

Hals, little alley, chops are all far superior choices. Have heard good things about Marcel too

If you are looking in the Duluth area I would recommend Frankie's The Steakhouse on Sugarloaf by the arena. Great prime steaks, delicious sides and a really good wine list. Been here for business and personal and enjoyed it each time.
Only thing I didn't like was the lobster mac and cheese. It had a lot of lobster, which is great, but the quality of the mac and cheese itself didn't measure up to the rest of the food.

Great steaks, onion rings, and service though.

The fried appetizer platter is awesome!

I see lots of advice about going a step (or 2) up from SR, etc. But let’s be real here, only OP knows the circumstance. TBH, going much above the SR level and spending the extra $ is wasted on some palates. My wife would be a good example. We did eat at Cotton Calf for our #37 back in January, good experience & we both loved it. But if SR was close to us, she’d have been just as satisfied.

Maybe SR this year, then gradually step up as the years go along.

I live a mile from Stoney river duluth. We have eaten there once. It’s solid and appropriately priced. Service was good.

Little alley in Roswell is definitely a step up but obviously more expensive. It’s great.

We went to Pampas Steakhouse recently and it’s close to Stoney river. It was excellent and I highly recommend. More pricey than Stoney though.
Pampas is the best IMO

Reactions: Finn1 and Canimal31
Stoney River is good.

But in your area, Pampas is hard to beat. They have great meat and I really like their presentation of everything. They are Argentine style steakhouse (not to be confused with Brazilian all you can steakhouses) and cook over wood fired grill. They also have a great wine menu.

Little Alley is a little further away in Roswell and we really like it also. Steak is phenomenal, great wine list and bourbon/whiskey list. Gets a little loud in there for me on date night.

Hal’s is excellent but for the distance I will stack Pampas and Little Alley with anyone.

Reactions: Canimal31
If you have it in the finances to pay $100/year for a football website, take your wife somewhere better than Stoney River for your anniversary...
To be fair it had been recommended to her so she suggested it. But after reading here, I’m gonna switch it up. Money, within reason, isn’t a huge problem. Most of the places I’ve looked at are well within the price range I had in mind.

Stony River is good but does not compare to Flemings or Pampas.

Reactions: DerkDawg1027
Best steak in ATL is at Hals..get the filet...not your ordinary filet
Hal's is a true steak house - meaning it is really good and expensive, but it is much further on the scale of wide ass open than stuffy. I once saw a 70+ year old dude clearly getting a handy wedding crashers style under the table - in the dining section. Not the bar. Was doing nothing to hide it either.

Reactions: Boom MFer Dawg
Hal's is a true steak house - meaning it is really good and expensive, but it is much further on the scale of wide ass open than stuffy. I once saw a 70+ year old dude clearly getting a handy wedding crashers style under the table - in the dining section. Not the bar. Was doing nothing to hide it either.
:eek:

Can we get details on who provided the service?​

You can and should do better. I’d heed the advice of the board. Another solid option is Marcel.

Reactions: mr fury
If only Steak & Ale was still around. I would pay $1 per crouton from that salad bar.

You sure you weren't drunk? Downstairs reminds me of my parents restuarant...stuck in the 80s with the cigarette machine and all. Hals gets thier own private cut of meat from Buckhead Beef

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT