ADVERTISEMENT

Strick and my experience

NetParDawg

National Champion
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2020
I’ve remained pretty silent about Strick and his tenure. Yes, he let me go during his first year so you’re welcome to take my word with a grain of salt, full disclosure.

I find it incredibly hard ironic that he used to roast us for finishing at the bottom of the SEC the year prior to his arrival and hadn’t been to the CWS in 5 years. We were reminded so frequently that he took Kent state to omaha and how great his guys were there, I frequently wondered why he left. Fast forward a decade, and we haven’t made a Super.

The first meeting we had post summer workouts and as guys were getting back in from summer leagues, he told us “I don’t want guys that want to play for Georgia, I want guys that want to play baseball”. While I completely comprehended what he was getting at, he took it overboard and it was evident he had no buy in to the university. That demeanor was offsetting for those of us that grew up with season football tickets and dreamed of playing any sport at Georgia.

He brought in his guy Daeley. For those unfamiliar with the program. This is your Willie Martinez.

Now the guy knows the game. He may even be elite cerebrally. The reason that will never matter is he will never have deep relationships with his players. It was certainly worse 10 years ago than it is today, but I still know a few guys that play and have played over the last few years, and it ain’t much better. You go through a slump or don’t live up to his expectations, you’re dead to him. Outside on intensity, he may be the antithesis of Kirby. Not sure he would’ve waived to 95% of us on the street. But it get it, we weren’t ‘his guys’, we were Perno’s.

Some of that was needed I will say it. We had multiple guys get arrested the year before, some of them the night before games. But Perno gave a dang about us.

Contrary to how this sounds, I’ve pulled very hard for Stricklin. I feel for him on that 2020 year. Think we had some serious studs in Wilcox and Emerson. Simultaneously, flabbergasted at the extension he got.

There’s no reason not to be hosting a Super biannually in Athens. Yes we need upgrades facility wise. Arkansas has freaking butts mehre in left field. But we are a recruiting hotbed. Metro Atlanta travel ball is an embarrassment of riches.

Time for a change. Bring back Kudzu Hill. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News