ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Taking the fam to Athens this Saturday w/ no tickets - advice

redawg77

Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
Pensacola, FL
So, I've been looking for UT tickets for a few weeks to take the family to Athens for the first time (I took my son a couple years ago, but this is a first for all 5 of us).

But, for that many tickets together, it's looking like 5-600$ for 3 or 600 level. I'd honestly be fine with those seats, just want to get in the stadium. But I can't justify spending Disney vacation money on something that's only worth if for me and possibly my son. I plan to keep checking StubHub et al up until the tailgate, but don't expect prices to fall off that much with all of this pent-up hillbilly frustration.

So, I'd like to get some gameday veterans' take on my current plan to balance proper viewing of the game and letting the family soak in a big gameday atmosphere in Athens:

We're traveling up from FL and staying outside of ATL Th/Friday and doing some ATL stuff (Stone Mt, Harry Potter experience, Medieval Times Dinner... it's all about compromise lol). So we'll be positioned to get into Athens relatively early on Saturday AM. I have a parking pass to the Hoke Smith lot, which is where I tailgated back in 2019 and had a really good experience. I understand we'll be able to watch the team load up near there as well based on some thread searches. We'll tailgate, enjoy ourselves until about 1:45 and then head over to Dawg Walk. There we'll peer into the stadium from the bridge and watch some/most of the DW. From here is where I'm less certain of my plan:

My preferred plan is to find a friendly tailgate with folks who don't have tickets are planning to hang back and watch the game on a tailgate big screen where we can pull up our camping chairs and take in the game. I have a TV I could bring and connect to my phone, but I fear my (unlimited) mobile hotspot data will get throttled halfway through the game. If that doesn't pan out (I should know the status of this idea by the time we head to Dawg Walk), I plan to head back to the tailgate and skedaddle on out of Athens to a fine establishment (Buffalo Wild Wings, whatever - I just need large TVs and beer, and food for the fam) to watch the game. I had thought about the GA Theater too, but wasn't sure if 1) that's still a thing, 2) if tickets are required, or 3) if it's a good environment with young kids (8, 10, 12).

Would appreciate any guidance / suggestions! TIA!

• Love
Reactions: DerkDawg1027
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News