ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Talk to me about 4K sound bars

Jacket Squasher

It’s good to be King
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2014
Charlotte, NC
So I took the plunge and upgraded to 4K after many years of resistance. Many thanks to the helpful tips given on the vent here. Ended up getting a Samsung 55”. Now I’m shopping sound bars. The tv I upgraded from was an old Sony 40” 1080p, which at the time I bought it (2007) was considered a pretty high end tv, and I realize now, came with what we would now categorize as a soundbar fully integrated onto the bottom of the unit. Sufficed to say, I have noticed the difference in the sound immediately between my old Sony and the Samsung and it is striking. Not to say the sound is not good from the Samsung. It is. It’s just not what I’m used to. So now I’m looking for a sound bar.

Here’s what I don’t want:
-I do not want an over powering bass. I have zero interest in an external subwoofer i put across the room. I realize that some sound bars come with an integrated subwoofer. Even these make me a little leary, as I say again, I do not want an overpowering bass. I just want a fuller dynamic range than I have and to not have the bass overpower the mids and trebles. In other words I want balance, and in such a way that doesn’t blow my head off.

Here’s what I do want:
-If possible, something that will tie into the Tv’s existing sound controls so I don’t have to always use a second remote to control the sound bar. For this reason I’m considering what Samsung has to offer. Not sure if this is the best route or not.
-a single piece unit (again no external subwoofer)
-looking for good value. I’m willing to spend a certain amount to get quality, but not a fortune. Probably $200-$250 range. Probably $300 at the high end.

Would love to hear advice, suggestions from others who have already been down this road. I’ll hang up and listen. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News