ADVERTISEMENT

Thank god we didn’t hire Kermit Davis

What happened?
Came out of the gates saying “We're going to be a team that respects the flag and the National Anthem.”

Opposing peaceful protest and implying you’ll require standing for the anthem is a hell of a first day on the job. Lot of recruits will take note, especially at a school already squarely on people’s minds as being the least progressive school in the least progressive, most backwards state in America.

Regardless of which side you're on with the anthem protests, the one thing that is unanimous is that sports fans are sick of hearing about it.

I personally don't care if Kirby is a gun-toting NRA member ... or a flag burning commie ... as long as I don't have to hear about it when I'm trying to enjoy football.

Kermit needs to stick to basketball and winning games.

Came out of the gates saying “We're going to be a team that respects the flag and the National Anthem.”

Opposing peaceful protest and implying you’ll require standing for the anthem is a hell of a first day on the job. Lot of recruits will take note, especially at a school already squarely on people’s minds as being the least progressive school in the least progressive, most backwards state in America.

Good for him. At least he stands for something on principle, willing to express it and demand it from those who wish to play for him. Something sorely lacking in today's culture as we cater to the "like" button on social media.

If a player doesn't like it, don't play for him.

Do you have to protest everything to be a progressive? Sounds like the jelly of the month club.

At least Kermit has the balls to state his opinion without cowarding down to the media and the snowflakes.

Just saying and just my opinion. And not sure why it makes him backwards. Maybe he could have candelight vigils after each practice......... would that make him a progressive?

Talk to me stud.

Good for him. At least he stands for something on principle, willing to express it and demand it from those who wish to play for him. Something sorely lacking in today's culture as we cater to the "like" button on social media.

Do you have to protest everything to be a progressive? Sounds like the jelly of the month club.

At least Kermit has the balls to state his opinion without cowarding down to the media and the snowflakes.

Just saying and just my opinion. And not sure why it makes him backwards. Maybe he could have candelight vigils after each practice......... would that make him a progressive?

Talk to me stud.

The pot-kettle dynamic is almost unbelievable here.

Talk to me stud.

The pot-kettle dynamic is almost unbelievable here.
Yep. Potimus is a bit much at times. Kermit lover to be sure. Good on him for taking a stand....

Appreciate your post

Reactions: uncwDawg22

Talk to me stud.
I love hearing that he is a guy that stands for something. I understand exactly what you are saying brother. He will lose out on some recruits for saying that, but he will also gain a few. If you can’t stand for what you believe in, you don’t stand for anything worth standing.

I love hearing that he is a guy that stands for something. I understand exactly what you are saying brother. He will lose out on some recruits for saying that, but he will also gain a few. If you can’t stand for what you believe in, you don’t stand for anything worth standing.
In a day and age of winning at all cost. That totally screwed him. He’s going to need some of those recruits that feel they should be able to protest.

Reactions: shanep512
In a day and age of winning at all cost. That totally screwed him. He’s going to need some of those recruits that feel they should be able to protest.

Much ado about nothing. Kids are going to go where they think they are going to get ready for the big show, have a lot of fun and get their heads turned by the young ladies. There won't be very many kids at all that are going to worry about last yrs protest to the point of turning down the opportunity to play where they think they fit best.

Much ado about nothing. Kids are going to go where they think they are going to get ready for the big show, have a lot of fun and get their heads turned by the young ladies. There won't be very many kids at all that are going to worry about last yrs protest to the point of turning down the opportunity to play where they think they fit best.

Yep. Guys can protest, coaches can say what they want, and kids will still go where they think the best fit is without any of the above making much of a difference.

Good for him. At least he stands for something on principle, willing to express it and demand it from those who wish to play for him.

People who protest by kneeling during the anthem are also standing for something on principle. Why is one good but the other isn't?

Something sorely lacking in today's culture as we cater to the "like" button on social media.

Again, why is one standing on principle admirable but the other is, uh, "catering to the like button on social media".

I agree, however I think there's a bigger issue in play here.

These two sentences are literal nonsense. Not sure what you were going for here.

Well, I'm not sure there are any balls in display here. Aren't the hoops players typically in the locker room for the anthem? That's how the pros used to do it, but not anymore (and the story of that is actually a bit sordid). So what balls are actually on display here? I don't see many college kids lining up to protest anything, unlike the pros. It seems to me Kermit is doing the exact opposite of what you praise him for. He's just blustering to look good.

They should. We as citizens of the United States of America have the right to peacefully protest. It’s in the Constitution.

That’s the hilarious, frustrating part about the narrative about this whole issue. There is nothing more American than having the freedom to express ones opinion, no matter how controversial, as long as you are not enciting others to violence. Yet, your bumper sticker patriots are so bothered by this that they call the practice “Un-American”. It’s quintessentially American. What are we, fascist?

Reminds me of a great John Prine song that goes...”But, your flag decal won’t get you into heaven anymore, it’s already overcrowded from your dirty, little war. Now Jesus don’t like killin’ no matter what the reasons for. And your flag decal won’t get you into heaven anymore.”

Last edited:
So I understand the point, but (a) I seriously doubt any recruits saw/heard that presser; (b) I seriously doubt any care; and (c) I am positive no coach is going to use it to negatively recruit Ole Miss more than reminding kids that Oxford is the literal middle of nowhere.

*Vent disclaimer: this comment has nothing to do with the larger political issue but is merely meant to address a perceived issue with the presser. Carry on.

They can peacefully protest all they want ON THEIR TIME!!!!!!! DJD Sick of these entitled turds not getting that.

Reactions: traderclaude
People who protest by kneeling during the anthem are also standing for something on principle. Why is one good but the other isn't?

Again, why is one standing on principle admirable but the other is, uh, "catering to the like button on social media".

I agree, however I think there's a bigger issue in play here.

These two sentences are literal nonsense. Not sure what you were going for here.

Well, I'm not sure there are any balls in display here. Aren't the hoops players typically in the locker room for the anthem? That's how the pros used to do it, but not anymore (and the story of that is actually a bit sordid). So what balls are actually on display here? I don't see many college kids lining up to protest anything, unlike the pros. It seems to me Kermit is doing the exact opposite of what you praise him for. He's just blustering to look good.

Very well done Sir. You are awarded one highly coveted borodawg like.
(And am a guy who owns quite a few guns but believes there should be some additional firearms and weaponry regulation and who served in uniform for 3.5 decades and still thinks peaceful protest — like kneeling quitely during the NA— is an acceptable way to express a view)

I like the way you countered the points instead of attacking or msking general characterizations about the poster (who you likely dont know). A few on here should take a note or two on that.

This sentence also applies to those who have been kneeling, fwiw

They should. We as citizens of the United States of America have the right to peacefully protest. It’s in the Constitution.

That’s the hilarious, frustrating part about the narrative about this whole issue. There is nothing more American than having the freedom to express ones opinion, no matter how controversial, as long as you are not enciting others to violence. Yet, your bumper sticker patriots are so bothered by this that they call the practice “Un-American”. It’s quintessentially American. What are we, fascist?

Reminds me of a great John Prine song that goes...”But, your flag decal won’t get you into heaven anymore, it’s already overcrowded from your dirty, little war. Now Jesus don’t like killin’ no matter what the reasons for. And your flag decal won’t get you into heaven anymore.”

So in your world a Fed Ex driver in uniform can stop along his route and burn an American flag in protest? How long you think he will keep his job?

So in your world a Fed Ex driver in uniform can stop along his route and burn an American flag in protest? How long you think he will keep his job?
nfl-kim-davis.png

I’d say you can protest at work and keep your job pretty easily...

Show me an owner doing anything of the sort during a game broadcast.

The game broadcast thing is a red herring. You bitched about NBA coaches as well for comments they've made outside of games. Ultimately you just don't like their political opinions and that's what bothers you.

Didn't hear you bitch about Tom Brady doing an interview with a Trump hat prominently displayed in his locker.

I for one applaud that he did it - Like the guy better already, took guts to do that!

Reactions: Savannah_Dawg
Here's the deal. You don't have the right to protest while you're at work as far as I'm concerned. It's absolutely appropriate for employers to demand that their employees act in a way that is representative of the values the company stands for.

If a company doesn't step in and prevent their employees from acting in a manner that I don't like then of course it's their constitutional right to do so but it's also my right to not buy their product.

Nice.

From a UGA perspective, we could not have scripted it any better.

Let's applaud Coach Kermit! In one fell swoop, he's woken up the the ironic echoes of Ole Miss past, present, and continually dismal basketball future.

Go Rebs! Never forget!

151030-stevens-olemiss-tease_t7d9cn

"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world."-Paragraph two of the Declaration of Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union.

Nice.

From a UGA perspective, we could not have scripted it any better.

Let's applaud Coach Kermit! In one fell swoop, he's woken up the the ironic echoes of Ole Miss past, present, and continually dismal basketball future.

Go Rebs! Never forget!

151030-stevens-olemiss-tease_t7d9cn

"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world."-Paragraph two of the Declaration of Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union.

LMAO so respecting the American flag/Anthem equals racism now? ROTFLMAO

I think a lot of people are missing the point here.

Why the hell did he say this unprovoked? Is he an NFL coach? No. Did Ole Miss basketball sit or take a knee during the anthem last year? No. This protest had nothing to do with college basketball yet he felt the need to include it at his press conference????? What the hell?

Did he give his views on other political issues as well?

Earlier post had it dead on... he's pandering to a certain element but it's utterly ridiculous as noted by just about every periodical/website.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT