ADVERTISEMENT

That was a great baseball game...

TheRedRain

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 6, 2005
I think if you didn't have a rooting interest, you would have really enjoyed that one.

I know Arkansas had an error at SS and then kicked another one over there. But outside that, they played a really good defensive game. They're always solid defensively and tonight was no exception. But so did we. Ben Anderson had a really good night in CF I thought. Fernando Gonzalez did his typical good work behind the plate. That was a big difference tonight, we got some extra bases (and scored a a run, in a game we won by a run) on balls to the screen. That just doesn't show up with Fernando back there.

It really bothered me earlier in the year how we seemed to lack that fight, that toughness. Walking out the stadium after that Sunday South Carolina game was about as bad of a feeling as you could have. Then the first two games at Auburn happened... I mean, we know the history... but we are fighting now. We are playing with some toughness now. We did in that DH sweep against Kentucky. We did all three games against Florida... it really stung to lose that series, but at least the effort was there. We played with that at Clemson two nights ago, and then again tonight. When you do that, when you make the big pitch and get the out you need to get, when you put up a big inning, when you get contributions from everyone... when you do those things, winning doesn't seem quite so hard. Arkansas is a good team. They came in 11-4 for a reason. They played well tonight. And we still won.

I don't know how this is all going to shake out. But the book on the 2023 Georgia Bulldogs hasn't been written all the way yet. There is a lot of baseball left and you can't deny that we're playing better now.

It'll be a fight the next two days, for sure. But this was a really good, enjoyable win tonight. I'm glad that I went... and this was the first game all year, on April 20, that I didn't take a jacket with me. I don't know if I can recall so many nights in the low to mid 40s in April as we've had this year. But I digress. Really good night at the park. This team is fun to watch again.

On a different note... surely Arkansas didn't bus down here... did they? I noticed that they had two busses tonight. One had a Kansas license plate on it and the other had the Arkansas Razorback wrapping on it. That was really surprising to see. I just assumed they would have flown charter into Athens. I think that's what they usually do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News