ADVERTISEMENT

The direct implications of CV aside, this is an astonishing study of human sociology and psychology,

Billy Zane

Master Thespian
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2017
ATL
and will be studied and referenced for decades.

I think one of the most interesting things (and not trying to diminish the actual situation itself) is this question: How do you get an entire population to take recommended measures seriously without essentially scaring them to death with what will happen if they don't?

There are, even now, a shitload of people who either don't believe how bad this can get if we don't act now, or seemingly don't care or understand. Just imagine if the message was solely, "Try to avoid it, but don't freak out if you get it, because most people have few to no symptoms, or get a little sick for a few days and are fine after that."

Lastly, it's interesting to me that, while on one hand we are equipped to spread the disease far more easily than ever before, thanks to technology and the ease of sharing knowledge and information, we are far more equipped to fight, mitigate, prevent, and cure it than ever before.

Well, so many false narratives have exploded in the age of social media, that many people, a ton on here, couldn't be convinced that change was necessary. Heck, the spring breakers defying beach shutdowns and the tons who mingled the last 3 days for St. Paddy's day are great examples. Being responsible is hard and blaming the internets is easy.

I think one of the most interesting things (and not trying to diminish the actual situation itself) is this question: How do you get an entire population to take recommended measures seriously without essentially scaring them to death with what will happen if they don't?

There are, even now, a shitload of people who either don't believe how bad this can get if we don't act now, or seemingly don't care or understand. Just imagine if the message was solely, "Try to avoid it, but don't freak out if you get it, because most people have few to no symptoms, or get a little sick for a few days and are fine after that."

Lastly, it's interesting to me that, while on one hand we are equipped to spread the disease far more easily than ever before, thanks to technology and the ease of sharing knowledge and information, we are far more equipped to fight, mitigate, prevent, and cure it than ever before.

It is infuriating how anyone at this point could not take this thing seriously. It is incredibly selfish for younger people in good health to continue to gather for any reason outside of your home unless it's at a hospital or work related.

@CarolinaDawg1940

Well, so many false narratives have exploded in the age of social media, that many people, a ton on here, couldn't be convinced that change was necessary. Heck, the spring breakers defying beach shutdowns and the tons who mingled the last 3 days for St. Paddy's day are great examples. Being responsible is hard and blaming the internets is easy.
That is true. I'd hope that people would realize the difference between this and previous narratives, false or not. But, like you said, it's easier to just yell "horse hockey" than change the way you live for a few weeks or months.

02-A4-A68-F-3036-4-AA2-BD2-A-E470-E752-A8-EA.jpg

It is infuriating how anyone at this point could not take this thing seriously. It is incredibly selfish for younger people in good health to continue to gather for any reason outside of your home unless it's at a hospital or work related.
Incredibly, it's not limited to the young 'uns. I have an aunt in her late 60s who said on the facebooks, (re: are you still going out to eat), "I am. I'm not scared, and I haven't heard of any cases near me."

The "Y'all worry about it, I'm not" mentality. SMDH. Yes, right this second she's probably correct, but this is a numbers game, and everybody needs to play, or else next week she will have heard of several cases near her.

I’ve actually noticed the opposite reaction. I own a pharmacy in a small town. Monday we offered delivery to our entire county and curbside delivery to everyone. The younger generation has been very compliant and asked for delivery and not getting out. However, we left our doors unlocked and I believed that no one would come in. I looked up at one point Monday and had 3 people on dialysis and one older lady on oxygen sitting in my waiting room. I couldn’t believe my eyes, I locked the doors and will not allow anyone in the pharmacy. We had to protect our customers from themselves.

Incredibly, it's not limited to the young 'uns. I have an aunt in her late 60s who said on the facebooks, (re: are you still going out to eat), "I am. I'm not scared, and I haven't heard of any cases near me."

The "Y'all worry about it, I'm not" mentality. SMDH. Yes, right this second she's probably correct, but this is a numbers game, and everybody needs to play, or else next week she will have heard of several cases near her.

It's almost like this whole scenario is an IQ test in a way. Most people were not taking it seriously just a couple weeks, myself included. I shared that video from Dr. Drew that was ridiculed by some (rightly so in hindsight) but defended by many. If you haven't come around since then, you are most likely have a low IQ in my opinion. It is not hard to educate yourself on the facts.

For the record, I've never paid attention to celebrities and politics, I'm kind of a sports or bust kinda person. I stumbled across the Dr. Drew video after YouTubing "Cornoa Virus". I don't know much about the guy (obviously I have heard of him) but I thought he was legit. I actually still do not know much about him but I've noticed he's been pushed on Fox News lately, so I can only assume he has a political bias on this.

Bothering me I'm still being mocked for that as of last night, but it is what it is.

Reactions: ARealMunson
I’ve actually noticed the opposite reaction. I own a pharmacy in a small town. Monday we offered delivery to our entire county and curbside delivery to everyone. The younger generation has been very compliant and asked for delivery and not getting out. However, we left our doors unlocked and I believed that no one would come in. I looked up at one point Monday and had 3 people on dialysis and one older lady on oxygen sitting in my waiting room. I couldn’t believe my eyes, I locked the doors and will not allow anyone in the pharmacy. We had to protect our customers from themselves.
I suspect the strict restrictions will end as soon as the transmission curve starts to bend. At that point, hopefully, there will be enough ventilators and beds to handle the needs of those requiring hospitalization. I suspect those who are immunocompromised and the elderly will be asked to be more isolated (until a vaccine is successful) while the rest of the population has fewer restrictions. It will require the government and others to provide assistance to the vulnerable during this time.

It's almost like this whole scenario is an IQ test in a way. Most people were not taking it seriously just a couple weeks, myself included. I shared that video from Dr. Drew that was ridiculed by some (rightly so in hindsight) but defended by many. If you haven't come around since then, you are most likely have a low IQ in my opinion. It is not hard to educate yourself on the facts.

For the record, I've never paid attention to celebrities and politics, I'm kind of a sports or bust kinda person. I stumbled across the Dr. Drew video after YouTubing "Cornoa Virus". I don't know much about the guy (obviously I have heard of him) but I thought he was legit. I actually still do not know much about him but I've noticed he's been pushed on Fox News lately, so I can only assume he has a political bias on this.

Bothering me I'm still being mocked for that as of last night, but it is what it is.
It was easy to side with his views at the time. The communicability factor wasn't really understood or accounted for by many.

If this thing wasn't so contagious, and worldwide cases would top out at 2 million cases over the next 5-6 months, for example, then while still bad, it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal.

It seems that, without strict practices in place, we'd hit 2 million in another week or two, and that would be an absolute catastrophe.

Reactions: A Tale of Two Dawgs
It was easy to side with his views at the time. The communicability factor wasn't really understood or accounted for by many.

If this thing wasn't so contagious, and worldwide cases would top out at 2 million cases over the next 5-6 months, for example, then while still bad, it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal.

It seems that, without strict practices in place, we'd hit 2 million in another week or two, and that would be an absolute catastrophe.
Correct

I hit the gym around 4 this morning and now im at work.
You know there is about to be an ‘all hands on deck’ for doctors, hospitals, etc, right? Military hospitals set up, floating hospitals from the navy, etc, and they are still unlikely to have enough beds, doctors, and/or ventilators even with that...

I've said it before but what's hard for people- myself included at times- to wrap their heads around is that with all of the precautions, closings, quarantines, and general "shutting down" of normal life as we all know it, you would think we're dealing with something like Ebola that kills between 30-90% of people that it infects (depending on the various outbreaks). But instead, it's a virus that when all is said & done will likely have a mortality rate of somewhere between 1-2%, and even then those deaths will be highly concentrated in the elderly & immuno-compromised. And we're told that the vast majority of people that get it will be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, to the point where you might not even know you have it. So on it's face, it doesn't sound that bad. But it is really bad because it's a new virus that we don't yet have a vaccine for, or even vetted & approved treatment options, and we still don't fully understand how long it will stick around, what the risk is for reinfection, etc. So it's obviously better to be safe than sorry for now- with the big question and what's bothering & confusing a lot of people being, how long "right now" will be, not only from a health perspective but an economic perspective, both at the macro & extremely micro-levels (i.e. people getting laid off or unable to work & earn a living).

The beaches in Fort Myers are crowded and the mayor is threatening to shut them down which should have already been done. Same thing in Destin as my friend that lives there says business is booming.

Much respect to you for absorbing knowledge and being willing to shift your opinions as you've gained new understanding. No one is perfect, but folks simply being willing to adjust their position helps a lot more than those who dig their heels in without considering any information that's contrary to their original position.

Kudos again sir.

I've said it before but what's hard for people- myself included at times- to wrap their heads around is that with all of the precautions, closings, quarantines, and general "shutting down" of normal life as we all know it, you would think we're dealing with something like Ebola that kills between 30-90% of people that it infects (depending on the various outbreaks). But instead, it's a virus that when all is said & done will likely have a mortality rate of somewhere between 1-2%, and even then those deaths will be highly concentrated in the elderly & immuno-compromised. And we're told that the vast majority of people that get it will be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, to the point where you might not even know you have it. So on it's face, it doesn't sound that bad. But it is really bad because it's a new virus that we don't yet have a vaccine for, or even vetted & approved treatment options, and we still don't fully understand how long it will stick around, what the risk is for reinfection, etc. So it's obviously better to be safe than sorry for now- with the big question and what's bothering & confusing a lot of people being, how long "right now" will be, not only from a health perspective but an economic perspective, both at the macro & extremely micro-levels (i.e. people getting laid off or unable to work & earn a living).
I think the point is to bend the curve. Once that is done (to allow for production of vents/hospital capacity), restrictions will be lifted to some degree for the non-elderly or immunodeficient population. The at-risk population will have to largely self-quarantine (with support from government and the lower risk population) until a vaccine is created or this wanes. I suspect we, as a country, will answer the call to help the vulnerable.

What just blows my mind is yes the young people....but the other group stubbornly refusing to change is the older people too. So the group it could most easily kill off, still refuses to believe its all that bad.

Reactions: TanyardDawg520
@Billy Zane You can’t fix stupid. Know an uber successful medical attorney who lost a virtual slam-dunk malpractice case in an early trial because he tried to educate a jury. Says ever sense he preys on a jury’s emotions with the bare bones science.... none if he can do it. With this bug folks have to know we’re all in the same lifeboat and part of an army at war with a germ. Ret. Gen. McKristal gave a great talk on MSNBC yesterday. The Marines term it Esprit De Corp. We’re only as safe as the weakest link.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARealMunson
Well said. It took me a few days for the reality of it to sink in. I've probably had it, or have it now because I've felt run down, had hot flashes etc... the past three weeks. While my symptoms feel like classic allergies, I wouldn't be surprised if I've had it or still have it. Only thing is I haven't had a cough at all.

Anyway, what's leading me to feel this way are the athletes that are testing positive with hardly any symptoms or none at all. If they were ordinary citizens like you and me they would not be allowed to be tested...better yet, they wouldn't think to go get tested.

I truly believe it's everywhere already, and I'm really worried for my parents that are in their mid 70s.

From my perspective, the main reason I'm trying to do all the recommended things is because of the following:

The mortality rate will be much higher if proper and timely medical care for serious cases becomes less available. It's 1-2% for now, but if hospitals, doctors, etc. are not able to treat people as they normally would, then the mortality rate will rise.

Secondarily, I think of all the other 'regular' medical situations out there that will take a hit. Someone has a moderate heart attack who would normally survive will now possibly die because there was no opportunity for immediate surgery or care.

Like many, I am not overly concerned about contracting it myself (though, I sure as hell hope I don't get it), but I would absolutely hate to contribute to the spread of it so that it ends up reaching more and more people who can't deal with it.

You know there is about to be an ‘all hands on deck’ for doctors, hospitals, etc, right? Military hospitals set up, floating hospitals from the navy, etc, and they are still unlikely to have enough beds, doctors, and/or ventilators even with that...
That is what annoys people, your last sentence, you have absolutely no way of knowing that, yet profess it like it is the gospel.

The medical doctor of 33 years that was doing cardio next to me didnt seem to have a problem with me being there.

Reactions: WRobinsDawg
From my perspective, the main reason I'm trying to do all the recommended things is because of the following:

The mortality rate will be much higher if proper and timely medical care for serious cases becomes less available. It's 1-2% for now, but if hospitals, doctors, etc. are not able to treat people as they normally would, then the mortality rate will rise.

Secondarily, I think of all the other 'regular' medical situations out there that will take a hit. Someone has a moderate heart attack who would normally survive will now possibly die because there was no opportunity for immediate surgery or care.

Like many, I am not overly concerned about contracting it myself (though, I sure as hell hope I don't get it), but I would absolutely hate to contribute to the spread of it so that it ends up reaching more and more people who can't deal with it.
On your topic of regular medical situations. It has already begun to take place, My wife is a RRT at a level 1 trauma center, they have already begun to implement treatment procedures that fall outside of their standard protocols.

Well even if it is not affecting everyone right now at the same level. The more people that catch it or even re catch it, the greater chance it mutates. What happens if round 2 of this thing starts killing all age groups. And with the spread rate where its already at, there is no more saying are we over reacting. Unless you belong to the Thanos school of thought, were losing half the population might be a good thing for the environment. Anyway, you want to limit the exposure of the general population as much as possible until you have a viable option to start fighting back. So yes, the economy might be in shambles...but I think we would all be okay with a bad credit score if it means we are still alive. And honestly, I am pretty sure that whatever economic problems a person may have due to this....a lot of that will be forgiven in the long run.

Much respect to you for absorbing knowledge and being willing to shift your opinions as you've gained new understanding. No one is perfect, but folks simply being willing to adjust their position helps a lot more than those who dig their heels in without considering any information that's contrary to their original position.

Kudos again sir.
I guess it's one of the hardest things in the world to admit when we're wrong, so maybe I was a little harsh pegging people as having low IQs that haven't come around...I'm sure that plays a part, but probably more just good ol' stubbornness.

Heck, one of the smartest guys I know that graduated top of his class at the UGA Vet school and now has his own practice is not taking this thing seriously as of a couple days ago...now that blows my mind.

Reactions: Dawg 'n IT
The medical doctor of 33 years that was doing cardio next to me didnt seem to have a problem with me being there.
There are plenty of doctors with egos so huge, they don't believe they will be affected. I would not trust the exercise habits of a guy who has been doing a job for 33 years with people kissing his arse most of those 33 years.

I guess it's one of the hardest things in the world to admit when we're wrong, so maybe I was a little harsh pegging people as having low IQs that haven't come around...I'm sure that plays a part, but probably more just good ol' stubbornness.

Heck, one of the smartest guys I know that graduated top of his class at the UGA Vet school and now has his own practice is not taking this thing seriously as of a couple days ago...now that blows my mind.
Craziness. My vet just moved to a "call from the parking lot" policy to minimize human traffic. They'll come get your pet for a simple wellness visit and make other arrangements for more serious issues where the owner needs to be in the facility.

That is what annoys people, your last sentence, you have absolutely no way of knowing that, yet profess it like it is the gospel.
Ok, I’ll preface it with ‘in my opinion’, which should be obvious but I’ll caveat it anyway.

I’m looking at stuff like the below, factoring in that the world is shutting down for 2 months so economic activity is grinding to a halt, and listening to people like Mnuchin (who has been part of a govt that has been downplaying the impact for 2 months, but has changed its tune overnight as we see what is happening in Italy and elsewhere.

“- The Colorado Department of Labor and Employment saw a surge of unemployment claims up to 6,800 Tuesday from 400 on March 7. The unprecedented traffic is slowing down processing times for applications, according a news release.

The department is encouraging workers who have seen their hours cut back to seek part-time jobs in delivery, transportation, grocery stores and businesses in other fields that are hiring.”

C8012460-B1-F1-430-C-9219-AD03099-A6-EAB.png

Just bc he is a doctor doesn’t mean he has any knowledge of epidemiology.
I'm not sure why you assumed it was a man because it's actually a woman. She's a medical doctor of 33 years, im sure she's at a minimum decent at her job.

I'll ask you this.. If you think me being in the gym at 4 am with 7 other people puts others at risk do you think be being at work with hundreds of people also puts others at risk?

Reactions: doerunn

Pegging it on Low IQ is far too simplistic as you have come to realize. Holding polar ideas and recognizing the possibility of a different outcome than what the mass is telling you isn't a lack of IQ. It is very obvious this thing is spreading and its obvious for some it is very bad but it also obvious there have been far too few tests including on the asymptomatic. We are making decisions on very incomplete and faulty data at this point.

Reactions: TanyardDawg520
I'm not sure why you assumed it was a man because it's actually a woman. She's a medical doctor of 33 years, im sure she's at a minimum decent at her job.

I'll ask you this.. If you think me being in the gym at 4 am with 7 other people puts others at risk do you think be being at work with hundreds of people also puts others at risk?
Yes.

And I don't think whether they are good at their job has any bearing on their knowledge of the current crisis.

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT