ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion The Georgia 3-2-1 Report

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
Three Observations

3. Character issues.

Jalen Carter will be labeled as having character issues thanks to Todd McShay. True or not, wild accusations these days are tougher to shake than beggar lice. Yet here’s the thing. It won’t matter. He’s going to be drafted Willie-Nelson-level high.

He can make it Snoop-Dogg-level high by winning the battle he faces this Saturday.

Ohio State’s right side of its offensive line, made up of Matt Jones and Dawand Jones, has yet to give up a sack this year. They are facing the premier defensive linemen in the nation. Watch this battle. Carter thrives on competition and I expect him to be disruptive.

giphy.gif

2. What really happened.

All the pundits, myself included, are giving the Bulldogs hell for giving up 500 passing yards to LSU. The reasons don’t matter, just the glaring stat line. Sort of like when your new girlfriend asks what’s your body count.

Still, let’s look at the reasons. Kirby Smart was worried about Jayden Daniels running in the first half so he played more zone. Georgia’s linebackers and underneath guys aren’t that good at zone. In the second half, after Carter picked up Daniels like he was the last Cabbage Patch Doll at Toys R Us, the threat was nullified. Yet Georgia didn’t feel the need to change. The Bulldogs were so far ahead they just played the bend-but-don’t-break defense. The UGA safeties had some busts. Malaki Starks was supposed to play deep middle and he came up to stop a run which turned into a scramble. Another time he didn’t come off the hash. Kelee Ringo was blamed for those TDs but they were not his fault.

Georgia will put more pressure on C.J. Stroud. The Dawgs will play man and man-under, more like how they did in the Tennessee game.

Stroud is really accurate, so Georgia needs to move him off his spot with pressure. Most importantly, Georgia has to avoid the pass interference penalties and play the ball in the air. PAC12 officials will be working the game.

giphy.gif

1. Big-game Bennett.
All week long we’ve been hearing about how Stetson Bennett steps up in big games. I don’t believe he does. It’s more that he’s throttled back in games that aren’t as competitive. In other words, when Georgia is a heavy favorite, Smart and Todd Monken protect him from being hit. Bennett is kept under wraps like a favorite fishing hole. No exposure until absolutely needed.

In the big games, Bennett actually keeps the ball on zone reads. He runs more bootlegs and naked bootlegs, or he will take off when pressured. He’ll do the same against Ohio State.

Bennett had to against Missouri when the Tigers surprised UGA with their defensive line play. Against Oregon, Tennessee, Auburn, South Carolina, and LSU, he took off from the start.

giphy.gif

Two Questions

2. Who is healthy enough to play?
If I had a dollar for every time Smart was asked this week about Ladd McConkey and Warren McClendon, I’d be at the Pink Pony. Smart has said the same thing all week, “We hope to have them back.”

He hid them on Wednesday and then told them not to answer health questions when they met with the media on Thursday.

But it makes sense why we ask since the health of McConkey and McClendon is paramount. The same goes for AD Mitchell.

McClendon has been terrific all year and has played in a ton of big games. He’s also played left tackle as well, a nod to his versatility and ability. Against Ohio State though, I expect Amarius Mims to start, with McClendon being available. Mims has come on just like Broderick Jones did last year when he needed to step in.

McConkey has been hampered all year by a bruised knee, but the weeks of rest have helped. He will give it a try. Georgia also has Kearis Jackson, Dominick Blaylock, and Arian Smith who can fill in for some of the roles McConkey plays.

Mitchell is the wild card. Sort of like Dash’s amaretto sours. If Mitchell can give Georgia any semblance of the player we saw against Oregon, that would be a gigantic boost. Smart said this morning that explosive plays will determine the game. Plus you know the Buckeyes will be focused on Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington.

giphy.gif

1. Is there a home-field advantage for Georgia? The nice folks here at the Peach Bowl keep telling us that there is no home-field advantage for Georgia. “The Buckeyes really traveled well,” they say. But will as many Ohio State fans fly in as there are Georgia fans who drive over?

No matter what happens in the game, 2022 will forever be the year that Georgia fans found their power. They realized they can truly affect the game. They blew Oregon out of the Benz. When Smart implored them to show up early and loud, the UGA fans made Tennessee flinch like a little brother. LSU didn’t have a chance in Atlanta. The snap count was affected and it was easier to rush the passer.

This will be more like a home game for Georgia.

giphy.gif

One Prediction

You know I don’t want to pick UGA to win. I think in narratives and storylines and this game sets up for an OSU “Kill Bill” type revenge thriller. The Buckeyes get past UGA to face their nemesis Michigan in the biggest showdown ever … the exact movie Georgia starred in last year.

Stetson Bennett will throw two picks and we will have nine months of arguing about why Smart stuck with him.

Will the storyline trump reality? OSU has the best players Georgia has faced so it is possible.

But this is not Hollywood. Smart isn’t going to be an extra in your movie reboot. Georgia has too many stars and will prove to be too much for the Buckeyes, so long as the Dawgs take care of the ball and don’t give up too many big plays.

There are going to be a lot of points in this one. Hang on to your hats.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News