ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion The Georgia 3-2-1 Report

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
Three observations

3. Straight into your veins.

Each week I write about who could be coming back and what difference that player could make. But never was there a better example so far this season than what we saw last week, and this Saturday might be even better.

The Auburn killer Ladd McConkey finally returned and it made all the difference. I’m not sure how a skinny wideout from Chatsworth could afford to buy the lien on the Auburn double wide, but he officially owns the Tigers. He’s been Georgia’s leading receiver against Auburn two out of the last three years. Only Brock Bowers beat him out this year, and there’s no shame in losing to the upcoming Heisman trophy winner. Plus McConkey was limited in his snaps, just casually strolling out there to make multiple conversions like a Pentecostal altar call.

Javon Bullard returned, and the Georgia secondary was much more cohesive. He always seems to be positioned where he’s supposed to be. I see Bullard being at full strength for Saturday. McConkey, like last week, will still be rounding into game shape.

Kirby Smart said that Kendall Milton has had his best week of practice. I’m too superstitious to say more than that.

Getting Mykell Willaims back at full strength will go a long way to stopping the Kentucky ground game.

On the flip side, Kentucky might be without Barion Brown. He’s the Wildcats’ second-leading receiver. More importantly, he’s the top kick returner in the SEC, averaging 33 yards per attempt. He’s also their best punt returner, picking up 17 yards per try. He has a leg injury and Mark Stoops is more than welcome to sit him this week so the young man can recover.

FRw3-h-UbYNrYws_PpPg3sbcsSFTJak4x1V1JU9GUG_eKI9MNqSYb2w2qR7vm0XEkKQTm-GyajfG4L5l6Kbw90Ur0xgaowHQ7FUzCdQKq93QRnBQqh_yiKGB9Lvrz9WA43VrTPsNCdzmaamirIkBzDs

2. Twitter coaches like me

I see every podcast or website this week talking about how good the Kentucky run game is and how Georgia’s run defense is weaker than the French Maginot Line.

But has Kentucky been doing that all season? Eastern Kentucky held Wildcats tailback Ray Davis to 52 yards. Vanderbilt held him to 76. Florida on the other hand looked like Cumberland’s junior varsity cheerleaders when the Gators were trying to get run fits. And yes, Kentucky did a fantastic job blocking. The Wildcats are getting better as the season goes along, just like Georgia.

Yet Kentucky doesn’t have the quarterback run option that gave Georgia seizures last week. In fact, Georgia is built to stop the assaulting offense that Kentucky runs. The Cats will have success, but they will need some explosive plays in the passing game. Trent has a good breakdown here. And this explainer from Brent is fantastic regarding when UGA has the ball.

L5OVRCiiakzsfzoYtSrpf0HPjZTpypdX4DDQbQwU4_u9AeDiLhYsuHYtxAGQgXG52aSM8mZ3MUMLcooJcqBpnutEPzyfOOsgq1RSs_EvL01XccNM6G1ThTxAn6mFYsCn9XYnL4aA9kO2Dxmpo7nZya0

1. Monster in the middle

Speaking of Georgia’s offense, the UGA linemen will be facing Deon Walker, Kentucky’s major force inside. He ate up the Florida offense like it was dipped in Guthrie’s sauce. The Wildcats play their edge guys in a wide 9 look, preventing teams from running outside and forcing teams to run at their big interior linemen.

And that’s fine. If I’ve learned anything from watching Mike Bobo for almost 10 years is that he utilizes pulling guards and down blocks at the point of attack, with the guards kicking out or blocking outside guys. Think of those Todd Gurley, Knowshon Moreno or Nick Chubb runs over the years that just scream Georgia football.

Georgia will hope to have the same success with Daijun Edwards and Dillon Bell. Hopefully, Milton can give an added spark. Keep in mind that Kentucky is a well-coached defense and will make Georgia earn every yard. The Dawgs cannot afford a lost-yardage play.

EBVZ-mKw9IajdIxp3LvT2Gch4tf9VECN4Hk7caWbS14UbdkMYRORhKdtVosRjjmJD2Fz_7J_IPBr1VBUgDamLO-Lij1oTSKNFVV9F6_BHy-EdZCdEO0dvciDqUTFdEJsFd24md-L5PCfjPYjTW0b654

Two Questions

2. Who can help Brock Bowers?

After his last two weeks, Bowers is going to get more coverage than Taylor Swift at a Chiefs game. He’s going to see more draped coverage than a senior yearbook. Bowers will still make plays despite the double teams, but Georgia needs to hit some of the throws and catches they have missed over the last few games. I can really see that happening with all eyes on 19.

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint is always consistent. Dominic Lovett needs to break one off after the catch. He had a ton of YAC last season so it would be great to see that repeated. RaRa Thomas is overdue for a big play. It also wouldn’t hurt to go deep to Arian Smtih a few times.

GUsNAacdiKg6whEDs8E7PZtg-nWs8tgmQ3ftcdTxY26XTBc2QAxk1YLoFtNiZEIQoDo8p4fdySHt8HsYHoNAbrD9Tr1MK0tLgiHT1py8eINNndt5HKKbAqtis3xa_MAGzF9sUgpBlShG13PCUJSesbk

1. Can Georgia get off to a better start?

As Dave pointed out, Georgia has scored just 17 first-quarter points in five games. Last year in the same time period, UGA had scored 46 points, and that includes the Missouri game. The Dawgs finished the last two seasons outsourcing opponents by 240 points in the first quarter alone.

Conversely, Georgia has given up 17 points in the first quarter as well. A points margin of zero is almost unbelievable in a Kirby Smart team.

Kentucky has scored 47 points in the first quarter, 37 of which have come in the last two games versus SEC teams. Something has to give.

1PI_MqygKtjsNHlIJt6W9vEQpgBJd8JACOaPn0dpNrEsfWi6AF5VIXNI1teb7gdpvmttQT72Sy3cI7wTZazoOo2UNiSVWrQ3dBdF6EsN4hpHu82YeXBbl8rjVOoqoSgLgEvt3izXyRNukCTfFdN1CXU

One Prediction

It’s hard to beat Georgia in Sanford Stadium.
It’s harder to beat Georgia in Sanford Stadium at night.
It’s hardest to beat Georgia in Sanford Stadium at night with Brock Bowers.

If I recall correctly, the last time Georgia lost a late kick in Sanford was 2009. But to be fair, that was to Kentucky. It was the last time the Wildcats beat UGA. Georgia has won 13 games in a row over Kentucky.

Tomorrow will make 14. Georgia should win comfortably but as before it will be a physical, workman-like game with limited possessions.

YG41Mkyoyp3Ye_G3n9qUdq_KUPnVmjRwjCmNgY0m-Lp6hUWaSaz5tNIDdLph4wnhVX6YlEd2HDnhwS9CPDZSXXBj96-PfdMhCv1q-cDnBfH2l0pTxSh9G5xtJkRu8tqb8h8nrFXCZj4NvPRjMPWYENk

P.S. Here is the forecast:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News