ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion The Georgia 3-2-1 Report

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
Three observations

3. Not so fast.

Vegas expects Georgia to beat Kentucky by four scores. That may happen and no one would be surprised. I expect the game to be closer than that. Over the last two seasons, Georgia has had a few close SEC contests to start the year. Last year the Dawgs won by 10 over South Carolina and by seven over Auburn. The year before, Georgia won by only four over Missouri, 26-22. Granted there was also a 48-7 beatdown of the Gamecocks on the road, but crowing about that is like the undeserved arrogance of a black coffee drinker.

The point is, Kentucky can’t be as bad as they were last week. It would be like striking out at a Tri-Delt party two times in a row. Impossible. Add in the fact that Georgia is down four defensive linemen and I could possibly see the Wildcats running right at the Bulldogs. Run the ball, move the chains, and keep Carson Beck off the field. Or else.

105 GIF by NBC

2. Something to prove.

Brock Vandagriff is about as popular in Lexington right now as putting Campho-Phenique in an open cut. Still, the fans know last week was not all his fault. That Kentucky offensive line had more holes than a Gator fan’s boxer briefs. South Carolina got pressure on 60% of Kentucky’s 22 dropbacks. The Wildcats' O-line graded out lower than the OceanGate quality control team.

Vandagriff will bounce back this week. He’s been quite successful against this Georgia defense for years. Be it on the scout team, the second team, or running with the ones, Brock has moved the sticks and scored. He knows Georgia’s checks. He understands what the Bulldogs are going to do post-snap. He will give the Kentucky coaches a detailed game plan of what works versus Georgia.

On the flip side, Jamon Dumas-Johnson called Georgia’s defenses for two years. He knows that defense like the back of his hand. He also knows what the Bulldogs do on offense to cause conflicts. Pop wants to prove he wasn’t pushed out by CJ Allen.

These have run Georgia’s offense and defense. They will both have good games. The problem will be there are only two of them.

Episode 5 GIF by The Simpsons

1. Weather permitting

The weather isn’t supposed to be an issue on Saturday. We are looking at 80 degrees at kickoff. But even if it rains, Georgia plans to throw it. Kentucky is next to last in passing defense, giving up 8.8 yards per attempt. By contrast, Georgia gives up 4.3 yards per attempt. The Bulldogs threw passes to 297 different people last week. They aren’t going to stop just because there’s a Phillippine typhoon in the forecast.
Kentucky will need Georgia to drop some passes, overthrow routes, or get a few tipped balls to stop the passing attack.

Carson Beck, rain or shine:
fireworks launch GIF

Two Questions

2. When will it stop?

Earlier today we broke the news yet again that a Georgia player was arrested for reckless driving. I have asked myself what Smart can do to stop it. We have documented the countless speakers, programs, and lectures Georgia has employed to get its players to act like they have a brain. After the Clemson game, Smart took a moment to warn his players. He told them they were going back to Athens and that he needed them to make good choices. He told them the program couldn’t have another arrest. He threatened, pleaded, and cajoled. Yet here we are two weeks later.

Smart doesn’t like to announce suspensions or internal punishments. We understand that. Why put the team’s dirty laundry out for public inspection? Why put the kid through a public shaming after he already went through the mud with the arrest? Yet I think the time for protecting the feelings of these kids is over. There is also the reputation of the school and the program to consider. From the outside, all people see is that it happens again and again. They don’t see the punishment runs or the extra lifts. They don’t see the docked NIL dollars. They don’t see the efforts to stop this. So show them. Announce suspensions and dismissals. If the kid doesn’t like it, well, the time to think about this is before you drive 106 mph down a residential street.

I know Smart won’t do it. But I wish he would.

Jim Halpert Reaction GIF

1. How warm is that seat?

I don’t follow the Kentucky program closely, but even Louise Braille can see the Wildcat faithful are not happy with Mark Stoops. One bad loss doesn’t mean he’s gone, but this looks to be the tipping point where the vocal detractors start to outnumber the quiet supporters. Each loss going forward will be fuel to the hot seat fire while wins will only delay the criticisms for another week. Unless the Wildcats can make the playoffs, I don’t see Stoops regaining the support of that fanbase. Sometimes the fans just want a change for change’s sake. The flirtations with Texas A&M did immeasurable harm. Seven-page-deep Kentucky message board threads about who should be the next coach are signposts to future hot boards.

Burning Bradley Cooper GIF by Regal

One prediction

This is the week Georgia gets a special teams score.

Happy Rihanna GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.