ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion The Georgia 3-2-1 Report

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
Sorry for the lateness. Be sure to watch the interview with Sean McDonough that Dayne posted earlier tonight. Yuo won't find that anywhere else.

Three observations

3. Let’s never speak of it again.

That Alabama game was more frustrating than a government-mandated gas nozzle. It was cataclysmic across the board. Carson Beck couldn’t hit a receiver, and when he did, they dropped it or were flagged for catching too hard. When protection broke down, Beck ran in italics. The Bulldogs turned the ball over like it burned and added a safety for good measure. Georgia’s defense was about as smooth as work boots in the dryer. I haven’t seen that many missed tackles since Tubby ran on the field.

But in spite of all that, Georgia battled back and took the lead. During halftime, Kirby Smart healed that team. It was almost as miraculous as all the people in wheelchairs can suddenly walk at the end of a Southwest flight.

True, Georgia's lead lasted about as long as the flavor in a piece of Fruit Stripe gum. But a lead they did have. And they will be stronger for it. And spare me the accusations of calling this a moral victory. Pointing out the facts is not a justification. It is simply an observation. Demanding that heads roll is performative and reactionary. Let’s at least see what happens in Week 5 before we fire everyone.

AD_4nXc8RJQF-8TGRXwHLE3apvTprsPkZq1Llbxc_M5x1DMyLBVldqjcaMzuJ9S2uWr9-IYYfvaAT_mgbs9IYJBsJ6Ybk5DNBeiDxX2zMF6WI25-v_RVxGItFrYiOvzc1vuLzmnNXxVpHgQkoO4912HTw-zMpLKT

2. Give it up

I wonder what Auburn would be like without all the turnovers. The Tigers have thrown nine interceptions. That is equal to the combined total interceptions of seven other SEC teams (South Carolina, Alabama, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vandy, and Missouri).
I began to wonder if this was just a bad year for Auburn. It isn’t. If you look back at Hugh Freeze’s teams, his reliance on RPOs causes a lot of interceptions. He was only Plus-1 in four years at Liberty. Auburn finished Minus-2 last year in turnover margin.

Georgia is not much better. For all of Smart’s defensive brilliance, his teams end the season on the plus side usually, but not very high. Plus-2, Plus-4 etc. This year through four games the Bulldogs are even. Handing the ball over to Alabama defenders like it was Halloween candy didn’t help. Against Auburn, the Dawgs need to go after the ball like it had Yuliana Levchenko’s number on the side.

AD_4nXe98go5QYO64l64gqoOTbSK4PGK6_zlzrBsaZ3TcYUlgWjyNSrghXLOl_vhuxdt9MWBf5lytIziubUdpCVnhaEQv9u0guKLBsfTLyU9SMMbPvluoz_IybsqgqoPry5ZkusVkrs2eHmdyFwW05g2a_7g6QUq

1. Same injury, same spot

Folks like myself who don’t know how to chew properly often wind up biting the inside of our mouths. Like our cheek. Or a lip. And then that spot becomes inflamed. And then being an idiot, we bite it again. The pain makes us curse and the stupidity hurts our pride.

That’s what losing to Alabama was like: accidentally biting the same spot over and over. But I wonder if the exact same game had players out in Austin, with Texas jerseys instead of Alabama ones, how would everyone have felt then? Stubbing your toe is infuriating. Stubbing it for the sixth time on the exact same ottoman, that you didn’t want in the first place, makes you see in the ultraviolet range.

AD_4nXdwA_F0omSeX7J3LWuHbW3tPkSJpF8w18Z3LTr8dRyMEMdgatTdrLP4JFMLQGpn8DTwZnoS8LtgA6CCvu51RNzsFpj0zwO72UEbs4e3YwsJjeDdKkn-LViGQgCCvpd0xj4ZO_SckiqhlOK8uY8Pdtic6fw

Two Questions

2. Why can’t we have nice things?

How long will Smael Mondon be out of the lineup? It feels like the last time he was healthy we were all dressing like Sonny Crockett while blasting Phil Collins. I have heard conflicting reports on what is wrong. It could be the foot issue that plagued him last year. It could be something else that we heard but haven’t confirmed. Georgia needs him. While it is true that the inside linebacker's room is the best position group on the team, the Bulldogs need his leadership and experience.

AD_4nXfpcEFXfqWgiQYceZVH4c2FOW55-qx5FrTwQOtz3MEptX8fp_Q_0Sxtx9Vtr8OuI1M1H3SBGztdPppbIzU0RME_7bByifzZECg1eV3glfA92ItOLGKc222-wQcgoQDOqm1LoO4OCv2bLmbx-QWCGFxNdlh6

1. Feature or a bug?

Last week we mentioned all the missed tackles against Kentucky and how the Bulldogs needed to clean it up versus Alabama. Of course, we know that didn’t happen. We thought the Kentucky game was an isolated event, but the keen-eyed folks on the Vent had warned us after the Tennessee Tech game. Georgia missed 10 tackles in that contest against a much easier opponent. So 40 missed chances in three games. Can they just not tackle?

Yet against Clemson, the Bulldogs only missed two. I called it out on the Watch Along Show at the time, noting how Georgia was dropping Tigers like Tennessee drops bags of cash.

So the Bulldogs have the capability, right? Or was Clemson the fluke? I hate to think that way but from the sample size, we have to be realistic.

AD_4nXc5Z-2Yke80_f8tXCE9qmYu-PCpIO29nYVJVXke7KWixpn_TqGAr9nR8wl9XYd95Y9WFY63ewqvsT1KW3ibY-bClml5ZL1rMKqZxHPtT_C9LxZQlBV561H7jRl-NHICZ_R7ATvoNOla7wjQRTIV7WJ51HXc

One Prediction

While it’s true that Auburn is the Pepsi Clear of the college football world, the Plainsmen gave Georgia fits last year and should have beaten Alabama. Of course, Auburn blows it against Alabama more than your wife’s sister. This year, things aren’t going well in Opelika, and a win in Athens would cure a lot of ills for the Tigers. Too bad for the War Eagles that Georgia needs to work out some frustrations.
Dawgs roll.

AD_4nXf8q_rFd_xEpjgPkStiS0Kf-XHalQuBm3y0XcLBto12YLjqEf3UV-x2HjyKF1lIvE5EwL5aMfnHwxBRsGTrPTT6Jmx2wxcJkjBDySHlCWNRTs2TspFfoTGD2IuEQPLdWrnV4H_yHc7ncu6609A1lvCPc66X

P.S. Want to attend a Georgia practice?

If you purchase the Fan Pack of Bulldog Bars and Bulldog Cookies you will be in a drawing to go to a Georgia practice.

No big NIL check. No crazy donation. Just switch out Bulldog Bars instead of Nature Valley ones you might normally buy. Or Bulldog Cookies for Famous Amos. That’s it.

One of the two-decades-long readers here is in charge of the Bulldog Snacks. I can tell you that Bulldog Snacks wrote a HUGE check to UGA Athletics. They have already taken care of 12 Georgia athletes. Crowdsourcing. That is the way to go.

Copy of Untitled Design.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.