ADVERTISEMENT

The reason JTD isn’t playing (very long post)

ColaDawg21

Vent Pastor (Back 2 Back Champion)
Gold Member
Jun 17, 2019
Behind a cup of coffee
Everyone is curious and we are all beating our heads against the wall trying to figure out how we got to where we are. Only a select few people know the real reason and chances are that IF we ever know, it’ll be AFTER the season and/or after JTD transfers out (assuming he actually does).

So, let’s compile a list of reasons why CKS and CTM have chosen to keep JTD on the bench, when we have a clearly limited ceiling with SBIV.

Full disclosure, I’m very thankful for what SBIV has done for the program. He’s been a part of securing us a spot in the playoffs, and for that I’m grateful. I also recognize that JTD (while I believe offers a much greater threat in the passing game) may not be elite talent many of us originally thought. He may be, but he may not be as well. We haven’t had the opportunity to see a large body of work, and most of us are obviously not in attendance at practice.
So, I’ll give some of the most prominent theories, and then offer my thoughts (keep in mind this is just an opinion, so instead of hammering me, feel free to just offer your thoughts…we’re all in this together after all):

1. (I’ll start with the most controversial) CKS has, for whatever reason, chosen SBIV over JTD, even though he knows that we have a better chance of winning, and can have a more explosive offense with JTD

Thoughts: I’m not sure I buy this. For one, if this is true (for any other reason than maybe #3 on this list, and that’s a maybe), this would be a complete failure of the staff to put us in the best position to win. CKS, at least in my book, has shown he does in fact want to win, and to win at all costs. It doesn’t make sense.

With that said, if this is true, then we do not have the staff in place to be a Championship program, and that’s a major concern.

2. JTD simply got hurt and was replaced by SBIV, and because we were winning, CKS didn’t want to “mess up a good thing”

Thoughts: This seems likely; however, it is a little short-sighted. Of course we have seen this dance before (Eason/Fromm), but we also saw how that ended..a loss to Bama and a QB debacle the following season.

If this is the case, then CKS seemingly learned next to nothing from that experience. This should give everyone in the room cause for alarm. While I believe CKS to be a really good coach, coaching is also about adapting and learning from mistakes. If that isn’t happening, we have hit our ceiling

3. (Another controversial one) JTD has been healthy for some time, but his parents got involved and that rubbed CKS and CTM the wrong way

Thoughts: While I hope this isn’t the case, it is a possibility. Parents get involved with their kids in sports all the time, especially when it’s believed that there is a future with money involved. If this is true (and I want to be clear that this is merely speculation at this point), then I’m not 100% sure I blame CKS and CTM.

The dangers of letting outside voices control what happens with the roster and on the field are more than we can count. As a program you just can’t let that happen. IF THIS IS THE CASE, it also may be true that JTD has a limited role in the situation. He very well may want to play (which I believe he does), but the conflict between the staff and his parents, his personal doctor, or even his alleged personal QB coach, have caused too much friction, and the staff feels it has to be in control of the situation (which in their minds means playing the QB that doesn’t come with “strings attached”).

4. SBIV actually gives this team the best chance to win

Thoughts: I’m not sure I buy this either. If this is true, pack your bags for the 1st round but I’m not so sure I buy tickets to the NCG. Again, no disrespect to SBIV. He’s been a dang good Dawg. But we have reached our ceiling.

Secondly, this means we also missed on the evaluation of JTD. Again, I’m not sure I believe that to be the case. As stated before, I don’t know that he’s elite, but I do believe he presents much more of a threat in the passing game than SBIV. Can he run? Probably nowhere near the level of SBIV. But, his arm talent makes him a better QB, and opens the outside in ways that SBIV can’t fully do.

I don’t think we missed on the evaluation, so I’m not buying this. I would like to see us (against Michigan) test out this theory, so that we can know for certain. Prayers offered up for that🙏🏻

Okay, sorry for the long post. Just trying to flesh this out. I know this list isn’t exhaustive, but these are the main things we have been hearing. Please feel free to interject your thoughts and/or other possible reasons why we are where we are.

And I know it’s a lot to ask, but could we please not resort to personal attacks in this thread?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News