ADVERTISEMENT

The US is winning again…

CocoDawg

Letterman and National Champion
Jun 16, 2021
It keeps Putin in check (notice he hasn't messed with any NATO counties) which is why you Trumpers don't like it.
Huh. Last time I checked he just invaded the country next to him. Thank God for NATO! FOH.

edit- and we all know if he wanted to invade a weak ass NATO country , he would and our WEAK POTUS/ NATO wouldnt do a damn thing.

It keeps Putin in check (notice he hasn't messed with any NATO counties) which is why you Trumpers don't like it.
Not a trumper here, but I don't love NATO because many of the other countries in NATO have not held up their end of the bargain in terms of defense spending. We are overfunding an alliance that directly benefits European countries more than it does us. Yes, it in theory keeps Putin in check, but every country that is added, could also put us closer to a war. If Ukraine was in NATO, then we would be sending our own troops to defend and die for Ukraine, which I am not in favor of. You could of course argue that if Ukraine was in NATO, then Putin wouldn't invade Ukraine. It is at least worth consideration though that every time we add countries to NATO close to the Russia border, we as the US are adding additional exposure to war. Again, not saying this was a bad move, but I think it should have received a lot more scrutiny from politicians and the public than it received.

I will say this as someone who's served in EUCOM for over 10 years, NATO has been absolutely critical for keeping the peace in Europe for the last 70 years. It's been vital for the expansion of democracy throughout the EU and enabled Europe to experience it's longest period of peace in European history. Has it been perfect of course not but Article 5 has been responsible for holding back Russia/USSR/Putin from attempting to invade the entirety of Europe. Putin is paying a heavy heavy cost for his "attempted" invasion of Ukraine and that's all due to NATO. Also remember NATO rolled with us into Afghanistan after 9/11 so militarily they have our back.

The part where we are automatically obligated to defend any NATO country. Do you want your son (trans or otherwise) getting shot defending Turkey?
Yes because Article 5 is the glue that keeps NATO together and prevents Russia/USSR/Putin from invading a NATO country. And again NATO had our back after 9/11 because we invoke Article 5 and they showed why it's such an important organization.

I've seen many say that the US should be a leader in the world.......Well through NATO is how were accomplish that. The main issue we're having with China is we have no similar organization in the Pacific.

I will say this as someone who's served in EUCOM for over 10 years, NATO has been absolutely critical for keeping the peace in Europe for the last 70 years. It's been vital for the expansion of democracy throughout the EU and enabled Europe to experience it's longest period of peace in European history. Has it been perfect of course not but Article 5 has been responsible for holding back Russia/USSR/Putin from attempting to invade the entirety of Europe. Putin is paying a heavy heavy cost for his "attempted" invasion of Ukraine and that's all due to NATO. Also remember NATO rolled with us into Afghanistan after 9/11 so militarily they have our back.
NATO itself is less of an issue for me than the US level of participation. Ukraine is a good example - why are we spending multiples of what all other NATO countries combined are spending on Ukraine when we are an ocean away?

NATO itself is less of an issue for me than the US level of participation. Ukraine is a good example - why are we spending multiples of what all other NATO countries combined are spending on Ukraine when we are an ocean away?
Hey for sure alot of NATO countries feel in love with the US providing majority of NATO funding without keeping up with their financial obligations. I think they truly believed that Russia would never actually try and invade another European country..........well Putin changed all that. That's why you see countries like Poland who are bumping up their defense spending from 2% to to 5% GDP. That's huge and something all NATO countries are pushing now. Over the next few years you're going to see all NATO nations up there defense north of mandatory 3% GDP.

Reactions: CocoDawg
Why do you say that? What is it about NATO that you disapprove of?
Everything? Especially the part where they ask the US to pay for most of it , kinda like the WHO that Trump got us out of and then when Potato got elected he gave them more of our cash. They are owned by China btw.

I find it ironic that folks outside of the US always criticize the US - except when they need us. Crazy huh.

Reactions: shonuff253
Hey for sure alot of NATO countries feel in love with the US providing majority of NATO funding without keeping up with their financial obligations. I think they truly believed that Russia would never actually try and invade another European country..........well Putin changed all that. That's why you see countries like Poland who are bumping up their defense spending from 2% to to 5% GDP. That's huge and something all NATO countries are pushing now. Over the next few years you're going to see all NATO nations up there defense north of mandatory 3% GDP.
It may have just been easier for them to listen to Trump. ;)

Everything? Especially the part where they ask the US to pay for most of it , kinda like the WHO that Trump got us out of and then when Potato got elected he gave them more of our cash. They are owned by China btw.

I find it ironic that folks outside of the US always criticize the US - except when they need us. Crazy huh.
Agreed. European countries loved that we were subsidizing their defense on the cheap and I'll give Trump credit for pushing for greater NATO spending but that doesn't mean NATO is useless. Its vitally important to our national defense. The US become a world power when we decided to not be isolationist but decided to lead in the world and in Europe.

I hope so we should not do all of the supporting of NATO. Germany is definitely not paying their share. That’s all Trump did was demand all NATO allies pay their fair share.

I hope so we should not do all of the supporting of NATO. Germany is definitely not paying their share. That’s all Trump did was demand all NATO allies pay their fair share.
There is truth in the US paying far more than its fair share charge, but if you go back in history we have shifted from having lots of US boots on the ground in Europe AND paying more than our fair share to just paying more than others. A "dividend" from the end of the Soviet Union was getting most of our troops out of the front line of European defense, which is not a minor thing. There is more than a small chance that the possibility of Ukraine joining NATO, however small, was the real trigger event of the Russian invasion, as they figured they could get away with it at a small cost as (1) Ukraine would capitulate quickly and (2) the west would do nothing or too little too late. Obviously, Putin miscalculated. But the fact is we and he are in a bit of a mess as we are both "committed" and don't want to lose and there isn't an obvious scenario where all save face. I have mixed emotions about Finland, Sweden and others lining up to join NATO to give them protection against a Russian invasion. While it is in our interest not to have a broader ground war in Europe, adding additional trip wires doesn't necessarily increase the chance for peace. To digress somewhat, there are very interesting bedfellows on the Russia/China issues in American politics. While it is not as clean as I am going to make it sound, you have what I will call the moderate wing of the Democratic Party (which I will include Biden and Pelosi in for this purpose even though Biden has clearly governed from the far left) along with about half the Republicans (including Cotton, McConnell, Pompeo, Cornyn and others) who are the support Ukraine with $ and weapons, stand up to China in Taiwan issue and so forth. Then you have Rand Paul, Trump and most of the progressives who say why are spending money and time on those issues when we have so many things to deal with here that are more important. Obviously Trump and Paul would have a different list of what is important than AOC, but both would tilt Isolationist on more foreign policy issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT