ADVERTISEMENT

These are the questions I have going forward...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
A. What will this mean for future facility upgrades and who will pay for them?

B. What will this mean for Olympic sports?

C. How will football programs at the Group Of Five level survive?

D. Will this somehow lead to the acceleration of corporate sponsorship replacing fatigued donors?

E. To what extent will Title IX complicate ALL of this?

We all know the bulk of the facility upgrades were used for recruiting. Palatial facilities won't be the principle means for bringing players in anymore. I think we were lucky to finish as many projects as we did. Garish upgrades will go very stale in the future imo.

Regarding the Olympic sports, it's one thing for football to subsidize these sports. It could be another thing altogether if football has to share player revenue with the Olympic sports. It could mean cutting programs or at the very least, cutting staffs and salaries.

With regards to the smaller football programs, I'll just go ahead and say it, this solidifies the split between the top conferences and everyone else. It also pretty much guarantees the path to a super league, and with that, paydays from bigger schools. I think the solution should be for a near NCAA tournament level postseason to preserve interest and capture the minds and hearts of those who will long for what are losing with CFB as we know it. An invitational. I think they'll need to sell (ostensible) purity and everyone having a chance to get a suitable TV deal.

I'm not sure I understand D. enough to even opine on it. Any insight @natty.now

I think Title IX will be a bigger complication than ever before. Could this even ultimately drive a legal "split" from football and the school?... especially if the revenue share is equal?...

Also, one thing I feel very strongly about is roster salary caps, and player maxes. Preferably all the football players are paid the same. If not, most of the recruiting advantages by historical powers that were earned through variables that set them apart to date, will be gone overnight and The Northwesterns (who only care about the revenue the sport generates) will likely start bringing in some of the players that would have traditionally gone to a BAMA. And this undeserved parity will result in the feel of the game becoming more stale and NFL-like. It's one thing to emulate the NFL for what's good about it, but not to the point that it feels like the NFL-lite... because then it will feel like a minor league... and no lesser version of the top league is fun or maintains interest. CFB needs some level of predictable disparity to feel traditional enough... well, to still feel like CFB.

And oh yeah, I see bigtime budget cuts in the football program too. Tons of low end administrative jobs will be cut imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCTillilie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News