ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg This is only for us old guys....

I wish I knew. I'm 37. Damn shame its taken this long to talk about going back, and that wont happen for at least another 5 years.

Reactions: TimberRidgeDawg
Well..that Hollywood set certainly looked like the moon. I kid...I kid.

It was a fun and proud moment. I remember holding my breath for what seemed like ten minutes.

Reactions: Section220Dawg
Do any of you remember exactly where you were and how you felt on the night Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon? 50th anniversary of that coming soon.

Yep was at home with my parents watching Walter Cronkite as it all unfolded. Would never have believed that after Apollo we wouldn’t have returned and those that walked on the moon have died of old age.

I was only 3 years old at the time, so I don't remember it. But later in life (years ago), someone got me a VHS tape of the event as a gift, with a lot of archive footage. I asked my late grandmother what she thought of it, when it happened. She said she did not see it live, and absolutely did not believe those family and friends who told her about it at the time. She said it was so hard to fathom, that it literally took her 2-3 years to finally believe it actually happened.

I will say, even watching the archive footage, I felt the historical significance. Brought tears to my eyes, and much pride in the USA and mankind in general. What an accomplishment!

Was sick with the flu .... parents got me out of bed to watch ... will never forget it , still have newspapers from that day

But seriously that movie set wasn't very convincing, it looks so fake. The amazing part is that Buzz & Neil & the gang were able to keep the lie secret for this many years.
As hilarious as Vols winning the East over Cocks.

Reactions: DonutDawg
Do any of you remember exactly where you were and how you felt on the night Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon? 50th anniversary of that coming soon.
my brothers birthday i was in carrollton visiting my brother at west ga college after i got out of the navy that june. will never forget that night and watching that. an amazing sense of pride in what my country had accomplished.

Last edited:
Hoax. Almost 50 year's later and somehow we never found a way to make it back up there.

LOL..........we haven’t had the incentive to accomplish a lot of things in the last 50 years. We won the “race” to the moon and afterwards folks thought the shuttle and so-called space station was a better use of the limited money given to NASA. Remember 70% of the federal budget used to be spent on the military. Now it all goes to more and more government funded social programs.

Sitting on the floor of our den with family seated on couch behind me. Fixated on the screen about 3’ from it. Mesmerizing experience. I was 15. After the assassinations of 1968, ongoing Vietnam war...the country needed a lift and this was awesome.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was home from UGA. My dad woke me up to watch it. My dad was really excited about it. I was sleepy and just not into it.

Reactions: wmclen9979
Well, if the 50th anniversary is coming up, that means I was 2, so no. Interesting reading the memories of other Dawgventers though.

At the Braves game when they announced it just happened. What a great pride we all felt being together in Fulton county stadium and cheering as one for the pride we felt for America and all of humanity. Those were the days. Watched it later that night after sobering up and that other thing 22 year old guys do with their sweethearts. One of my favorite memories , though I have no idea what happened with the Braves!

At my grandmother's house watching it on an old black and white tv with rabbit ears. I felt like she needed a better tv since it looked like the moon was suffering a terrible blizzard. I was too young to really appreciate the moment.

I was 12 , watched /listened with my Dad , I just remember working hard to stay awake , I do remember his excitement though I honestly had no concept that we were witnessing something so incredibly historic

I was 16 and on a summer school. We were at cape Canaveral while they were still on the moon. I seen them take the first step and left the next mourning for Fla. I meant to say school trip.

Remember it like it was yesterday. Summer between 3rd and 4th grade. Camped out that night in Kevin Curtis' back yard so we could look up at the moon while it was happening. (9 year olds were MUCH more innocent in 1969 than they are today!)

Remember my mom and dad waking me up from a sound sleep. Around 2AM? Something like that. My dad told me I could tell my kids on day I saw it live. I sat there sleepy eyed watching it, thinking it was the coolest thing I’d ever seen. I was 11.

Also saw Oswald killed by Jack Ruby live...I was sick at home...propped up in the couch and watched it all unfold.

Watched it at home. Whole world, at least the free world, was glued to it. Following the whole journey was insane. Plus Nam was going on and it was the Summer of Love. Woodstock was just about a month later.

I’ll just be honest and I’m sure I’ll be stirring up the sh*t but I don’t believe we ever went to the moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samsara

Yep, remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was a young Dawg then, spent the afternoon at the rec center pool talking this blond girl into doing some snipe hunting that evening. She agreed so I was hunting snipe.

I’ll just be honest and I’m sure I’ll be stirring up the shit but I don’t believe we ever went to the moon.

My grandfather agreeded with you, he said all that was a bunch of BS to justify the expense of NASA.

It does seem like a lot of resources were spent with limited return.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT