ADVERTISEMENT

This scene from UNG in Dahlonega is what concerns me re: CFB

ugahairydawgs

Aug 29, 2001
Guarantee you the same thing is going on in Athens (and every other college town where classes are back on) as well. If schools have to shut down because parties like this turn into super spreaders, then we’re in trouble.

I get why college students are doing this. If this is 18 years ago and I’m starting college again I’m there too. I just don’t see how the schools keep these parties from becoming problems.

50% of the kids there already had it this past summer, so they aren't a vector for transmission. Of the other 50%, some will get it and not know it. And some will get it and it will be like the flu to them. Statistically, unless they have pre-existing conditions, none will die, few will be hospitalized. In their demographic, they are likely to develop herd immunity.

Edit: To be clear for others who may read this later, as I stated below, I just made the 50% up based on my personal observations of my kids and others around us this summer. Others have pointed to facts that it's not 50%. That's fine and I don't have facts to disagree. But, I stand with the rest of my points that that age group is not at risk, and I do think there will be some herd immunity for that group.

Last edited:
Guarantee you the same thing is going on in Athens (and every other college town where classes are back on) as well. If schools have to shut down because parties like this turn into super spreaders, then we’re in trouble.

I get why college students are doing this. If this is 18 years ago and I’m starting college again I’m there too. I just don’t see how the schools keep these parties from becoming problems.

This is why given I spent 4 years at UGA I know the claims players are safer at UGA than at home is absurd. Sell it all you please, but a kid at home in a small town like most come from has a far easier time social distancing than at UGA. You have to make an effort NOT TO social distance in most towns in Georgia.

Reactions: Jaydawg98
50% of the kids there already had it this past summer, so they aren't a vector for transmission. Of the other 50%, some will get it and not know it. And some will get it and it will be like the flu to them. Statistically, unless they have pre-existing conditions, none will die, few will be hospitalized. In their demographic, they are likely to develop herd immunity.

Are you basing your 50% of them already had it line off something concrete? Or is that just conjecture.

And the severity of their symptoms doesn’t matter when we are talking about quarantines and decisions to close. We are seeing this play out in Cherokee County right now. 25 positive tests just sent over 500 kids into quarantine and shut down a 3rd HS in the district. Much bigger net with fewer parental controls at colleges obviously and if the schools have to close the campuses there’s no way they are going to keep sports going.

Supposing everything you posted is accurate, which seems unlikely, it will still spread the virus to far more people, many of them in vulnerable demographics. Why is it so hard for people to get that we're all in this together...literally all in this together ?

This is why given I spent 4 years at UGA I know the claims players are safer at UGA than at home is absurd. Sell it all you please, but a kid at home in a small town like most come from has a far easier time social distancing than at UGA. You have to make an effort NOT TO social distance in most towns in Georgia.

i’m sure their internet in that small town will stream that lecture perfectly.

i’m sure they will not travel to areas to hang out in non-small town settings.

i’m sure they will go home and stay distanced when only they get out to get milk and bread.

Supposing everything you posted is accurate, which seems unlikely, it will still spread the virus to far more people, many of them in vulnerable demographics. Why is it so hard for people to get that we're all in this together...literally all in this together ?
tenor.gif

Are you basing your 50% of them already had it line off something concrete? Or is that just conjecture.

And the severity of their symptoms doesn’t matter when we are talking about quarantines and decisions to close. We are seeing this play out in Cherokee County right now. 25 positive tests just sent over 500 kids into quarantine and shut down a 3rd HS in the district. Much bigger net with fewer parental controls at colleges obviously and if the schools have to close the campuses there’s no way they are going to keep sports going.
Curious though, of the 25 positive tests did they say how many are actually symptomatic?
Not to be a downer, but football will get shut down at some point either in Aug/Sept or whenever, due to political pressure and the amounts of positive, asymptomatic tests.
As a reference, did the media ever report how many Marlins were actually sick? Or just positive tests?

Reactions: Loungefly
i’m sure their internet in that small town will stream that lecture perfectly.

i’m sure they will not travel to areas to hang out in non-small town settings.

i’m sure they will go home and stay distanced when only they get out to get milk and bread.

I'm sure your sarcasm is self serving. You want a football season, I get it, so do I, but I can still be honest and think of the greater good.

Where did you get the data indicating of 50% had them had it this past summer? Regardless, they do not live in a vacuum. Those that do get it can still spread it to the more vulnerable population.

I fear that if positivity rates among the students start to increase, than there is going to be a lot of pressure to start shutting things down, including football. :(

Last edited:
Yeah I’m sure if all of these bumpkins just went back home they’d get tested three times a week and have access to world class health care. Gosh why has no one thought of that.

Obviously conjecture and anecdotal evidence. I posted this a few days ago:
  • My youngest son has 15 best friends, girls and boys. They did everything together. Right after graduation they got it ... about 9 of the 15. Most asymptomatic, a few were out for 3 or 4 days. No one bad at all. The rest of the summer, no one got anything.
  • My oldest son is at Bama, lives with 9 other guys. 3 have got it this summer, I anticipate the at least 2-3 more will get it in the next 2 months.
That means my two kids are in groups where over 50% have had it will have it. Their group likely has herd immunity. Their age group, even if they get it, aren't going to get seriously ill. I am guessing this is pretty common across the 17-22 age spectrum.

I'm a realist. I fully anticipate that 22 and under kids will act like 22 and under kids. I fully expect colleges to go to remote classes only to protect teachers. They didn't to start so as to make sure all the kids registered and will pay to go to school. I think many colleges may have to clear out dorms again like they did in the spring, but have hopes that the first wave can be handled and that doesn't happen.

I don't think there is anything shocking or surprising in my statements here. Are their risks that they spread it? Sure, that's why if my son gets it he isn't coming home. And son no. 2 who has to be at home - his LA college is not on campus this fall - knows to be careful ... he wouldn't be in a crowd like that.

Heard it is going through UNC right now. 19 members of Sigma Nu got it.

Yeah I’m sure if all of these bumpkins just went back home they’d get tested three times a week and have access to world class health care. Gosh why has no one thought of that.
More weak sarcasm.

Don't judge me ... you have no idea what I've done through this with regard to masks, social distancing, etc. As I said in the above post, 22 and unders will act like 22 and unders. To expect anything else is crazy. Let's hope we can absorb the initial back to school wave that will come. This is one group of crazy kids ... you paint with a broad brush to say everyone else is going to this extreme.

To whom will they spread it? They aren't going to class, and they won't come home (or shouldn't). Aren't they all hanging out with each other?

Don't judge me ... you have no idea what I've done through this with regard to masks, social distancing, etc. As I said in the above post, 22 and unders will act like 22 and unders. To expect anything else is crazy. Let's hope we can absorb the initial back to school wave that will come. This is one group of crazy kids ... you paint with a broad brush to say everyone else is going to this extreme.

To whom will they spread it? They aren't going to class, and they won't come home (or shouldn't). Aren't they all hanging out with each other?
That idiot just joined. He is the fastest person I have ever ignored.
Definitely a troll and a weak one at that. His points are weak and he cannot debate, so I smell a snowflake.

Keep fighting the idiocy LawDawg!!

Obviously conjecture and anecdotal evidence. I posted this a few days ago:
  • My youngest son has 15 best friends, girls and boys. They did everything together. Right after graduation they got it ... about 9 of the 15. Most asymptomatic, a few were out for 3 or 4 days. No one bad at all. The rest of the summer, no one got anything.
  • My oldest son is at Bama, lives with 9 other guys. 3 have got it this summer, I anticipate the at least 2-3 more will get it in the next 2 months.
That means my two kids are in groups where over 50% have had it will have it. Their group likely has herd immunity. Their age group, even if they get it, aren't going to get seriously ill. I am guessing this is pretty common across the 17-22 age spectrum.

I'm a realist. I fully anticipate that 22 and under kids will act like 22 and under kids. I fully expect colleges to go to remote classes only to protect teachers. They didn't to start so as to make sure all the kids registered and will pay to go to school. I think many colleges may have to clear out dorms again like they did in the spring, but have hopes that the first wave can be handled and that doesn't happen.

I don't think there is anything shocking or surprising in my statements here. Are their risks that they spread it? Sure, that's why if my son gets it he isn't coming home. And son no. 2 who has to be at home - his LA college is not on campus this fall - knows to be careful ... he wouldn't be in a crowd like that.
Agree that kids will be kids - but are you planning on testing your son before he comes home? What if he's asymptomatic but contagious?

This thread shows why we can't get a handle on this virus. These attitudes have cost the country trillions and probably over 100K lives so far. We really are spoiled.

Agree that kids will be kids - but are you planning on testing your son before he comes home? What if he's asymptomatic but contagious?
Don't know ... I'll deal with that at Thanksgiving. I'll find out what happened at Bama, what happened in his condo, etc. Then we'll figure it out. I'm 60, wife is 57. Both in good shape, neither have any of the conditions. Would certainly rather not get it. Have been a mask wearer since early days, shop as little as I can, wash my hands, social distance, have a small group of friends. I am doing all you are supposed to do and will continue to do so.

This thread shows why we can't get a handle on this virus. These attitudes have cost the country trillions and probably over 100K lives so far. We really are spoiled.
I'm not going to argue all the C19 theories with you, but this makes zero sense. The only way to have prevented 100K lives would have been totally shut things down New Zealand style. That wasn't economically sustainable. You wanting no deaths and no lost trillions can't happen.

This is inevitable, which is why I’ve yet to count any chickens with regard to seeing UGA play this fall.

Where did you get the data indicating of 50% had them had it this past summer? Regardless, they do not live in a vacuum. Those that do get it can still spread it to the more vulnerable population.

I fear that if positivity rates among the students start to increase, than there is going to be a lot of pressure to start shutting things down, including football. :(
See my other post above. We were always going to have to face down college kids going back to school. My guess is that this video is the extreme of what they will do. More likely they will party in smaller groups. My son at Bama is telling me this type of party couldn't happen ... city and campus cops would have shut it down quickly. They aren't messing around. But, kids are going to want to hang with kids, and boys will chase girls and girls will chase boys. That ain't stopping.

If there is something wrong here, it's with the people in charge ... why aren't the cops or the school breaking this up?

See my other post above. We were always going to have to face down college kids going back to school. My guess is that this video is the extreme of what they will do. More likely they will party in smaller groups. My son at Bama is telling me this type of party couldn't happen ... city and campus cops would have shut it down quickly. They aren't messing around. But, kids are going to want to hang with kids, and boys will chase girls and girls will chase boys. That ain't stopping.

If there is something wrong here, it's with the people in charge ... why aren't the cops or the school breaking this up?
If your plan doesn’t contemplate people being people, your plan sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT