ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughs on Vandy, because you need another random venter's opinion in your life...

Billy Zane

Master Thespian
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2017
ATL
Well, if you look at the box score (minus the actual TDs scored), you'd have thought we would have won by about the actual spread of 32. Of course, things didn't exactly shake out that way. While the game was never in any serious doubt, the 'Dores had a chance to pull within one score late in the game. It was far from a 'clean' game by the Dawgs, which was disappointing after we pants'd UK last week.

A 552-219 total yard advantage for UGA is what you're looking for. The two biggest issues that kept us from running away with it are starting to become legit trends: Red Zone offense and Red Zone defense (with respect to TD %). The Dawgs now rank a mediocre 59th nationally in RZ TD % at 62.5%, but also a woeful 119th in RZ TD% on defense. Having said that, we're still doing a good job preventing teams from reaching the red zone (and many times, it was due to a turnover). UGA is 8th nationally in allowing the fewest RZ trips per game.

Pursuant to the Red Zone, the Dawgs are #5 in total offense (509 ypg), and #6 in total defense (263 ypg) nationally. We are the only team to be top 10 in both categories. Of course, defensively, that ranking will be put to the test against the likes of Ole Miss, UTjr, and even Tech (don't laugh).

The obvious worst news was seeing Bowers go down and not return. Looks a bit up in the air at the moment, where best case scenario is he's back by UF, and worst case is, well, let's hope we don't find out what worst case is.

I don't recall seeing any individual player have an all-out bad game, but aside from Daijun, nobody stood out as having an especially great game, either (upon first watch of the game). It's been a bit of a recurring theme this year. I don't expect that everyone will play a perfect game all the time, obviously, but just seems there's a mistake here by one guy, another one here by another, and it's keeping us from really dominating most of these games.

Tykee Smith continues to be a ball hawk and big play maker. He's still finding himself out of position a few times a game, though.

As mentioned, Daijun was a bright spot, having his best game as a Bulldog (20 for 146, TD). He continues to show off tremendous elusiveness in tight areas (stupid announcer kept trying to make 'presses the juke button' a thing). Milton was on his way to a renaissance game, and then the injury bug bit him once again. Poor kid just can't catch a break.

I found it odd (as did the announcers) that Vanderbilt didn't show a little urgency later in the game. OK, look, from a fan's perspective, nobody really thought they would be us, but as a coach, aren't you supposed to coach like you're trying to win the game? (especially if you find yourself within relative striking distance late?)

Kirby said, and we all agree, that the Dawgs need to be more explosive on offense. Thing is, there have been explosive plays to be made. Just an issue of an errant throw, a dropped ball, etc. I thought the single biggest difference between yesterday and last Sat (other than us looking like a monkey schtupping a football early on) was that the receivers did a much better job against UK of helping Beck out on some of the less accurate balls. So, Beck needs to be better on the longer passes, but his receivers need to make more of the difficult, but still catchable balls.

Peyton Woodring is no longer a concern kicking FGs. Well, I'll always worry if we need to kick a critical FG in a game, but he's no longer more of a concern than anyone else. Great to see him get on track and stay there.

Mekhi Mews is presumably on some thin ice at this point returning punts. Hate it for him (and us) that he's having trouble catching them cleanly, making some questionable decisions, and so forth. He also looked a bit impatient on a short pass in the second half and seemed to just run right up into a blocker and defender. Will be interesting to see if he remains the primary punt returner after the bye.

To the casual (and especially the uncasual) fan, we're having too many busts on defense that are leading to explosive plays by the opposing offense. In reality, Georgia is generally top 5 or top 10 in terms of fewest explosives given up (depends on if you look at 20+, 30+, or 40+ yd plays allowed). I wonder if it helps certain fans who are clamoring for us to play younger, (presumably) more talented guys at certain positions. Teams are not, typically, scoring on 80 yd TD drives against us. The only consistent way anyone has really scored (with a couple exceptions, obviously) is off a turnover or an explosive play. Just imagine if, instead of 1 or 2 a game, we were giving up 3 or 4 due to bust-inducing inexperience. Food for thought.

It was interesting to see Kirby not call a timeout late in the half before Tykee's eventual interception. It obviously worked out, as we scored a quick TD right before the half, but I have to imagine that was due to PTSD from being aggressive in that regard against UAB earlier this year. Whatever the case, it just goes to show that you never really know what might happen; not as many cut-and-dry decisions out there for a head coach as one might think.

As of right this moment, there are still 3 BIG games coming up, against UF, Mizzou, and UTjr. Big, from the standpoint that each could be a must-win in order to reach the SECCG. Now, UTjr will be definite underdogs at Bama, and either Mizzou or UTjr will lose another SEC game when they play each other, and I'd expect UF to lose on the road at LSU in a few weeks. Nonetheless, some non-gimme games potentially coming up in the stretch run that should determine who represents the East in the SECCG (clearly, Dawgs are still the heavy, heavy favorites).

With the bye coming up, it'll hopefully be a chance to get healthy (again), and work on the little bugaboos that have largely kept us from steamrolling teams like we've seen the past couple of years.

I'll leave you with this thought: This team might not rout a lot of opposing teams on the scoreboard. These Dawgs might be one of those teams that is just going to better over the course of 60 minutes, regardless of who we're playing. People often want things to fit into a nice, neat box, but football doesn't work that way. We have the ability to beat anyone, so I'd say, don't worry about the tempting thought process of, "if we can only beat this team by this amount, there's no way we can beat that team."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News